Gaming and general purpose monitors

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My thumb drive and cable came in. I'm on the latest firmware and have a 1.4 DP cable. Just waiting on my MSI 6800.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
No I do not. I do not have a thumb drive that the monitor recognizes...that will be here tomorrow, along with a certified 1.4 DP cable.
you sure they didn't give you a 1.4 dp cable?, or was it junk

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
win key <arrow left-right> does that built in, I like powertoys fancy zones better tho
Yeah but I do that on each display right now. So 4 zones. If there's software options that will do it for me, that works too. Trying to convince the fiance to get it for me for my 40th.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, check out Microsoft's powertoys on github. kick ass utility app, then look for fancy zones in the options

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
A while back I went ahead and bought a Sumsung G5 32". No regrets at all and even my 1070 has no problem running all my games in 1440p.

One of the big things I noticed right away was how dark the blacks are compared to my old monitor. It's super immersive with the curve and big size. Highly recommended!

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm looking at a few different monitors. Is 32" curved too big for FPS games? Opinions on curved in general? Looking at one of these, but open to suggestions (keeping it under $400):

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I'm looking at a few different monitors. Is 32" curved too big for FPS games? Opinions on curved in general? Looking at one of these, but open to suggestions (keeping it under $400):

Looking at the same thing. Advice would be great.

Crone

Typically what I hear is with newer hardware to push it, like the 30xx series GFX the sweet spot is 1440p 240hz 27". Not sure how many in that res is out there though.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Think the general rule is 27" you want a three foot or so distance that gives you everything happening on screen. That being said, that MSI Optix would be your best option. 1440p. 1ms gtg. 165Hz. AND it's an IPS? That would be my choice.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
is better in every way than the MSI Optix and cheaper.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Melicant

Thanks for the info on that one. I was hoping to pick up today, but may try to order that depending on how huge the 32" curved looks in store. 32" curved vs 27" flat is what I'm not sure on. For curved 32" the AOC seems pretty decent.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the info on that one. I was hoping to pick up today, but may try to order that depending on how huge the 32" curved looks in store. 32" curved vs 27" flat is what I'm not sure on. For curved 32" the AOC seems pretty decent.
She doesn’t have any idea what an extra 5” can do for you.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not quite every way, though pretty obvious it's the better choice unless one of the few msi wins is a particular sticking point for you. Also seem to be about equal price, right now anyway. *shrug*

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So who here is using the LG CX 48 as an everyday monitor?

Any issues with it so far?

Did you mount it with that annoying base or did you mount it some other way?

Crone

So who here is using the LG CX 48 as an everyday monitor?

Any issues with it so far?

Did you mount it with that annoying base or did you mount it some other way?
I think Xexx uses it every day. In my next place, I think I'm gonna go full-on recliner with a custom tabletop for mouse and keyboard and a 55 or 65 LG OLED, whatever version is out at the time. I absolutely no longer need to be at a desk to be comfortable and game.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone use this triple monitor setup and if so which monitor stand are you using? I found one on Amazon that will let me but they want $300 for the stand.

BEC345AC-3B74-4480-A7A4-8CB13049C3E9.jpeg

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone use this triple monitor setup and if so which monitor stand are you using? I
Depends on the weight of the monitors, but I have two monitors on one Ergotron "tall pole". I bought one complete short pole set for the second monitor, which somehow was cheaper than their "LX Arm, Extension and Collar Kit" at the time.

I guess this goes for the cheap knock-offs, too.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Dell S2721DGF is going for just north of $400 right now with a coupon.

If you have an Amex credit card, check your Offers for $100 off $500; if you have it, you can upgrade to the 5-year warranty with the premium tech support for roughly the same price.