Gaming and general purpose monitors

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Frens, I have a question to put before you. Right now I have 2 computers with 2 separate 27" monitors. I will still be using both computers for a good while yet, but I would like to consolidate the monitors into one. I am thinking about getting a 43" Acer predator, since it looks like it has some decent built in support for multiple PCs, ie splitting screen space between them. The other option would be to get an ultrawide monitor. Do any of you have a similar setup, and what monitor would you recommend?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Frens, I have a question to put before you. Right now I have 2 computers with 2 separate 27" monitors. I will still be using both computers for a good while yet, but I would like to consolidate the monitors into one. I am thinking about getting a 43" Acer predator, since it looks like it has some decent built in support for multiple PCs, ie splitting screen space between them. The other option would be to get an ultrawide monitor. Do any of you have a similar setup, and what monitor would you recommend?

I have a laptop and a desktop plugged into a 37" ultra wide and a portrait 24"

Bought the ultra wide for work and I love it

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have a laptop and a desktop plugged into a 37" ultra wide and a portrait 24"

Bought the ultra wide for work and I love it
That's not what he's asking. He's asking about picture-by-picture capability for multiple computer inputs into the same monitor.

Most if not all of of the 49 inch ultrawides from Samsung and Dell support this, and it is effectively like having 2x 27inch monitors in one.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

My Samsung G9 does this.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
any forum bros need a new monitor?
I won the one below on Newegg Shuffle, bundled with my 3080, and I don't want to deal with Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook or other platforms.
Happy to let it go to a good FOH home below MSRP, and I've got a massive corporate shipping discount.

Hit me up.

1624640313113.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I need some advice/feedback. I’m looking to dive into the ultra wide gaming territory. Currently I own two 27” 2560 x 1440p monitors. I want to play in 3440 x 1440p resolution but not sure if it’s worth it going from a 2560 resolution. I own a RTX 3080 so I know my card can easily handle a 3440 resolution. It seems most of the ultra wide monitors are curved. How is the gaming experience compared to a flat panel monitor. Is a higher hertz speed better on an ultrawide monitor? Also IPS vs VA monitors? Which is better? The price difference is around $300-400 difference between the panel types. Which is better for gaming and in a dark room setting. I don't play any fast paced FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. If I do play a FPS it's a single player game. The type of games I play are ARPGs like Diablo 2: Resurrected, Path of Exile, Last Epoch and action games like Witcher 3, Dark Souls and Horizon Zero Dawn. SP overall how's the overall gaming experience on a ultra wide gaming monitor above 2560 reso? I'm looking at these two monitors and can't choose which one.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
both good monitors, and that ASUS VA panel will get darker, but it also wont quite get as bright as the LG IPS panel.
also, that 1500R curve on the 34" ASUS monitor is rather aggressive and would be pretty obnoxious to me.
especially If you're not sure that you'll like a curved monitor, you'll probably want to go for a shallower curve.

I'd go with the LG all day, it's a better bang for buck and nearly identical to their awesome LG34GN850-B, and it's readily available.

I recently bought a 38" LG IPS 2K ultrawide (2100R curve) to go with my RTX 3080, coming from a 27" IPS 2k and a GTX 980, and I'm very happy that I did!
1625778517882.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I need some advice/feedback. I’m looking to dive into the ultra wide gaming territory. Currently I own two 27” 2560 x 1440p monitors. I want to play in 3440 x 1440p resolution but not sure if it’s worth it going from a 2560 resolution. I own a RTX 3080 so I know my card can easily handle a 3440 resolution. It seems most of the ultra wide monitors are curved. How is the gaming experience compared to a flat panel monitor. Is a higher hertz speed better on an ultrawide monitor? Also IPS vs VA monitors? Which is better? The price difference is around $300-400 difference between the panel types. Which is better for gaming and in a dark room setting. I don't play any fast paced FPS games like Call of Duty or Battlefield. If I do play a FPS it's a single player game. The type of games I play are ARPGs like Diablo 2: Resurrected, Path of Exile, Last Epoch and action games like Witcher 3, Dark Souls and Horizon Zero Dawn. SP overall how's the overall gaming experience on a ultra wide gaming monitor above 2560 reso? I'm looking at these two monitors and can't choose which one.

That LG panel is going to have better color and just be a better monitor all the way around. I almost ended up buying one similar to that, but ended up with the Alienware 34". I absolutely love my IPS 3440x1440. It's made computer gaming infinitely more enjoyable, so glad I got it, even if it was $850.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was leaning towards the LG but wanted to hear some more opinions. I went ahead ordered it from Amazon and I should have it by this weekend. I didn’t want an aggressive curve on my monitor and that’s another reason why I went with the LG model. Then I’m so use to gaming on a IPS panel it would be hard for me to go back to a VA or TN panel. Plus the reviews helped too.

I currently have a 27” LG IPS as my gaming monitor (which I love) and a 27” Dell TN as my secondary monitor. I’ll probably mount the 27” LG over my 34” so I can use it as a secondary monitor and give the Dell to my wife or save it for my son when he’s ready for PC gaming. I’m use to having at least two monitors. I can’t wait to try some games on it and experience how it feels to play on an ultra wide monitor.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>

One thing to be wary of is not all games truly support 3440x1440 and they end up squishing the image vertically to make the image fit. (Terraria and MW5 do this for example).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For you dudes who use a single monitor, how do you handle multi-tasking while playing? I'd kill myself if I had to alt-tab all the fucking time like the dark days of gaming. I can't ever go back from full-screen borderless.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
For you dudes who use a single monitor, how do you handle multi-tasking while playing? I'd kill myself if I had to alt-tab all the fucking time like the dark days of gaming. I can't ever go back from full-screen borderless.
I hear ya. I was dual monitoring when i had my 27" 2k, and I miss it now that I've only got 1 main monitor setup. I do find myself alt tabbing and it sucks.
I have my laptop next to me 99% of the time, which works well enough, but it would be better to be on the same system for sure. the 38" is just too big to leave any room for a sidecar in my personal use case. my new setup is definitely a sidegrade in that regard.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
One thing to be wary of is not all games truly support 3440x1440 and they end up squishing the image vertically to make the image fit. (Terraria and MW5 do this for example).
What happens if I play the game at a lower resolution? Like 2650 x 1440 or even 1920x 1080? Will it still happen?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
What happens if I play the game at a lower resolution? Like 2650 x 1440 or even 1920x 1080? Will it still happen?
if you play in a supported resolution smaller than your native one, you'll just end up with black bars in the unused space. you could also play in windowed mode, potentially

the 38" ultrawide is 3840 by 1600, and while a lot of games support it, it's not too uncommon to get stretched or bordered in some games.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I've been on the ultrawide for awhile, took awhile to get used to. Broken in games like Diablo 2, pretty all around, my wowui was pretty weird due to all the horizontal space stuff ended up being pretty far to look side to side. Ended up wanting an upgrade over my old Samsung, ended up with this:

Built in crosshair is pretty hax.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I've been on the ultrawide for awhile, took awhile to get used to. Broken in games like Diablo 2, pretty all around, my wowui was pretty weird due to all the horizontal space stuff ended up being pretty far to look side to side. Ended up wanting an upgrade over my old Samsung, ended up with this:

Built in crosshair is pretty hax.
Same exact one I ordered. Which video card are you using with it and what’s your frame rate like when playing certain games?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Never tried. The games were both still playable as the UI generally scales correctly it does change the experience though. Terraria if you use tmodloader has mods that fix it and in MW5 you just lose some cosmetics of the cockpit. MOST games fully support it unless it flat out doesnt support the resolution. Sekiro, unless its been fixed ,has black borders as it didnt support ultra wide last time i played it on PC.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Never tried. The games were both still playable as the UI generally scales correctly it does change the experience though. Terraria if you use tmodloader has mods that fix it and in MW5 you just lose some cosmetics of the cockpit. MOST games fully support it unless it flat out doesnt support the resolution. Sekiro, unless its been fixed ,has black borders as it didnt support ultra wide last time i played it on PC.
Thanks, sounds good bro. Only game you mentioned that I play is Terraria. I’m not playing a lot of games lately, just a few indie titles in my backlog until Diablo 2 Resurrected comes out which it supports 3440x1440 resolution.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Thanks, sounds good bro. Only game you mentioned that I play is Terraria. I’m not playing a lot of games lately, just a few indie titles in my backlog until Diablo 2 Resurrected comes out which it supports 3440x1440 resolution.
Terraria is still 100% playable but you can feel the lack of vertical vision sometimes. This only goes for the newest version. If you use Tmodloader and the older version of terraria you can get the resolution/camera mods that make it a non issue.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I just ran into this over the weekend in Dead by Daylight. Here's a good example/diagram of what generally happens to games that don't support Ultrawide. It stretches the horizontal while reducing the vertical.