Gaming and general purpose monitors

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Other than your desk looking like a spaceship cockpit, is there a real benefit to having an ultrawide vs two standard monitors? A lot of the time I have screen space dedicated to separate tasks, like having a game in one monitor and work/email on the other. Am I wrong that this wouldn't work well on a UW?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Other than your desk looking like a spaceship cockpit, is there a real benefit to having an ultrawide vs two standard monitors? A lot of the time I have screen space dedicated to separate tasks, like having a game in one monitor and work/email on the other. Am I wrong that this wouldn't work well on a UW?

No bezel in middle is nice. You can split the screen into four sections I believed via software.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, there's 2 different aspect ratios we're talking about. A 34" ultrawide is 1.5 27" monitors. A 49" ultrawide is 2x27" monitors.

A lot of games still won't work right on the 49" ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
As a person who has had an ultrawide for many years, I can tell you one huge annoyance is video players that don't let you resize to take up the right "side" of the monitor - I usually have web browsing/reading on the left and entertainment/videos on the right, whether they be plex or youtube or whatever. My screen is big enough that I could do that and plausibly have two documents side by side on the left for work.

The video players that don't let you resize, you end up with this comically small window, or they let you "full screen" which now takes over my whole 34" workspace. These are awful. With two monitors you can just fullscreen your "entertainment" monitor and not worry about how it affected your productivity one. With the ultrawide, you're kind of stuck.

That said I still love the ultrawide but there are downsides.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
Why OLED monitor burn-in isn’t a huge problem anymore

Comments at bottom have some good info., my fave:

Yes. The industry is really excited to fix the problem they created with LCDs that last a decade without any issues.

bi.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
LCDs fucking suck compared to OLEDs. They've always sucked. Backlight bleed is awful, black levels are terrible. Viewing angels are stupid. Gamma is garbage. It's impossible to go back after using a good OLED.

OLEDs are amazing new but that doesn't last long enough for everyone. I've seen ones on display at Best Buy that already look way worse than my acer IPS from 2015 (damn near 180 degree 'viewing angel,' too.)

facepalming viewing angel.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
OLEDs are amazing new but that doesn't last long enough for everyone. I've seen ones on display at Best Buy that already look way worse than my acer IPS from 2015 (damn near 180 degree 'viewing angel,' too.)

View attachment 498712
Oh weird an OLED monitor that's just left running at full brightness under retail lights looks like shit after a while?

For most usage patterns you will never run anywhere near peak brightness at home, and therefore almost none of these burn-in issues are a concern.

I run my Samsung G8 in ECO mode for even lower brightness and it still beats these tests in HDR, which no LED I've ever owned can.

1699061670592.png
1699061690051.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I deliberately didn't get an OLED because of the burn in issues. Tons of people have burned them in after a few months of spreadsheets/youtube etc because of logos and boxes.

Seems great for TV's or gaming monitor but for a mixed productivity/videos/etc monitor, I wouldn't want the OLED for now.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I deliberately didn't get an OLED because of the burn in issues. Tons of people have burned them in after a few months of spreadsheets/youtube etc because of logos and boxes.

Seems great for TV's or gaming monitor but for a mixed productivity/videos/etc monitor, I wouldn't want the OLED for now.
Ah ok fair enough just a ridiculous price

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This may be the year I finally upgrade my monitors... anyone seeing anything decent for Black Friday? I think I'm finally ready to go from 2 monitors to a single.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This may be the year I finally upgrade my monitors... anyone seeing anything decent for Black Friday? I think I'm finally ready to go from 2 monitors to a single.
Pretty much all the Samsung Odyssey models are on a pretty steep discount at Amazon right now. They're at the top of rtings lists in all their categories (32" 4K, 34" UW OLED, 49" UW OLED, etc.).

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Funny enough this convo is popping up again. rtings just published a video of a 10 month comparison of panels. OLED burn in is real. Even LED isn't immune.