General Gaming News and Discussion

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
This feels like the best place for this. Galaxy brained Linus of Linus Tech Tips(which theoretically is a channel that reviews hardware/tech) bans his employees nor his employee FAMILY MEMBERS from owning stock in most major tech companies and any business which LTT happens to engage with;

View attachment 459599
View attachment 459600
View attachment 459603
View attachment 459601
This isn't a new thing for journalistic minded organizations and the industry they're covering. It's definitely broad to include family members but he's hardly drawing outside the lines with this general policy. It's weird to frame it as if he's some rogue asshole.

Also, generally (at least with other organizations), you can still invest in funds that contain such stocks, though this doesn't mention that. If they don't allow any kind of funds, then yeah, that's an asshole.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a new thing for journalistic minded organizations and the industry they're covering
LTT isnt a journalist/reporting entity, no one from LTT will ever break the next spectre type news story that has relevance to any of those companies listed.

On paper all they do is review tech stuff, in reality LTT is nothing more than a marketing company for whoever is sponsoring their latest video.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
LTT isnt a journalist/reporting entity, no one from LTT will ever break the next spectre type news story that has relevance to any of those companies listed.

On paper all they do is review tech stuff, in reality LTT is nothing more than a marketing company for whoever is sponsoring their latest video.
I think it is because they are evolving past just reviewing tech stuff. They retooled and spent a shitload of money to go into hardware testing.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

They can be both. They still produce actual review content and from what I've seen they can still be critical towards big companies and that weight can produce useful results occasionally. I've seen videos where they later shit on some they originally liked or was sponsored by. Or their complaining led to product improvements. A lot of what they do is clearly in the entertainment sphere but there's still actual information there. They don't need to win a Pulitzer for breaking some monster story to validate that. In this day and age, they're like your local news station.

Do you think being sponsored by Ridge wallet really just means they make up numbers from their actual test/review videos? If Linus had some glowing review of the next Nvidia card and you later find out he bought stock in the company the day before, wouldn't you think that was bullshit too?

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
also the simple reality is there is NO WAY to track any of that information. Companies put out information about when board members and C-suite employees buy/sell shares but otherwise buying and selling shares is hidden information and you cannot access it as a normal person, a journalist, or as Linus of LTT. The SEC can dig in after months and months of invetigation (insider trading) but no one is gonna know or give a shit if Timmy the Systems Admin of LTT bought 50 shares of nvidia right after Linus reviews the latest nvidia card and calls it man's crowning technical achievement.

so yeah, you just tell your boss and your HR person no one in your family is buying or selling shit and do whatever the fuck you want anyways cuz no one will ever know. Its all electronic now and millions of transactions done per second, no longer this

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Do you think being sponsored by Ridge wallet really just means they make up numbers from their actual test/review videos? If Linus had some glowing review of the next Nvidia card and you later find out he bought stock in the company the day before, wouldn't you think that was bullshit too?
LTT isnt going to materially impact a gigantic company like Microsoft or Nvidia. Him giving a subpar or bad review to the RTX99999 isnt going to matter to Nvidia. LTT isnt a company that has a habit of acquiring and releasing proprietary information that is actually relevant. Any info they have dozens of other companies will have because all they do is review products which lots of people do as well.

Let alone the complete lunacy of the companies they list. Fedex? BMW? Disney? Tesla?

I think it is because they are evolving past just reviewing tech stuff. They retooled and spent a shitload of money to go into hardware testing.
Thats still reviewing products. The idiot spent something like $200,000 on a industrial power supply testing machine to review power supplies like hes johnnyguru3d.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Really doubt it's some legal obligation and more about trying to look unbiased and being retarded about it

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Uh, a whole lot of B2B and marketing companies have shit like that in their handbooks.

Take this scenario: LTT gets prerelease samples of AMDs next gen of products a few weeks early. Their testing reveals major flaws that cannot be fixed before launch. If any of them sell their AMD stock with that information, that would be a major problem.

Also, if you've ever worked anywhere near gambling, it's even more ridiculous what you can and can't do. At my last employer, just getting cleared to log into the PBX of a given state lottery commission for diagnostic purposes requires that no one in your family gambles, ever. Can't even play scratch off tickets or you're in violation of state law.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Uh, a whole lot of B2B and marketing companies have shit like that in their handbooks.

Take this scenario: LTT gets prerelease samples of AMDs next gen of products a few weeks early. Their testing reveals major flaws that cannot be fixed before launch. If any of them sell their AMD stock with that information, that would be a major problem.

Also, if you've ever worked anywhere near gambling, it's even more ridiculous what you can and can't do. At my last employer, just getting cleared to log into the PBX of a given state lottery commission for diagnostic purposes requires that no one in your family gambles, ever. Can't even play scratch off tickets or you're in violation of state law.
Thats all well and great that you have a good example of what could happen and why its there. But the aforementioned still holds true in that.. what you or I trade as personal individuals is not public knowledge. Theyre entered in by a broker, and at most.. thats what, Ameritrade or similar? I made $1900 Friday morning - does anyone have any clue which ones they were other than guessing? Of course not. So again, its just some idiotic verbage to maybe, just maybe, make some dumb ass in Nvidia or similars marketing department feel better about LTT looking at their products.

As an employee, keep your mouth shut about your personal life and you'll prosper. Thats about as "real" as it can get. I dont care if LTT exists or doesnt. He's outgrown anything that I, a personal PC builder, will ever do, for the most part. Jay at least revisits simple videos like wiring your PC in 2023 and Water Cooling your PC in 2023. But LTT.. not so much.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't find him all that useful. I thought he was now more entertainment than information.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I don't find him all that useful. I thought he was now more entertainment than information.
Basically, little of his channel is of practical use to people now. Its all clickbait nonsense where he shills whatever companies through at him.

Hes a becoming an ever bigger target for drama as time goes on. He likes to come off as still running a youtube channel ran by a handful of people when he now has 100+ employees and spending a lot of money on serious capabilities(hes in the process of building a professional audio analysis studio) that should have him acting like a genuine business man. Instead the dude is having his employees working in his home on idiotic projects and fighting with people on social media about not offering warranties on his merch.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Random employee would never have enough stock for anyone to really give a shit, and zero reason for their employer to give a shit either.

The only way that's an issue is if someone tipped off people with significant holdings, which this policy doesn't do jack shit to prevent even in that extremely unlikely scenario.

Also not sure why you think it's on the same level as lottery fraud protections. Two completely different things

Borzak

He thinks he has the ability to move the market, he doesn't. He comments on shit after it's already in the news and happened.

One of the few times I watched him I got the idea he now had more money than he knew what to do with that people with old/real money knew what to do with. The one I watched he went on and on about he invested X amount in a wearable backpack computer or some such. Which to me smelled like the ultimate shill. Hey , buy this when it goes to market cause I put my money in it.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't have to move the markets to be a company ethics violation. You can really tell who here has never worked for a large company with a large number of suppliers and business partners, or who has but never actually read the company handbook.

The company has to put that shit in there so they can say they ethically covered their ass and that their employees agreed to it. Whether the employees actually follow it is a totally different story.

Borzak

He may be CYA with his employees but he's the one that comes off like a shill in some of his stuff.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It doesn't have to move the markets to be a company ethics violation. You can really tell who here has never worked for a large company with a large number of suppliers and business partners, or who has but never actually read the company handbook.

The company has to put that shit in there so they can say they ethically covered their ass and that their employees agreed to it. Whether the employees actually follow it is a totally different story.
You're moving goal posts. Separate yourself from your adoration of LTT. <incoming reply in 3...2...1..>

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This thread, a bunch of people who don't watch his content and have no idea what his videos actually look like on a daily basis lol. He's generally more critical of companies than not in my experience.

And this seems like pretty standard CYA avoid the look of being biased stuff. That anyone thinks this is some OMGWTBBQ?!?! nonsense is amusing.

But if you make a big deal out of it on reddit and blows up I'd bet you could get them to talk about it on WAN show

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
This thread, a bunch of people who don't watch his content and have no idea what his videos actually look like on a daily basis lol.
No reason to watch his content because it isnt good anymore. 4-5 years ago i used to watch most of his stuff stuff but now theres zero need to. His content evolved into consoomery bullshit, not genuinely interesting content like say gamersnexus produces.

Does this look like a man whose going to produce anything thats going to hurt Microsoft? Or Ford?

1676904540773.png