General Gaming News and Discussion

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
No reason to watch his content because it isnt good anymore. 4-5 years ago i used to watch most of his stuff stuff but now theres zero need to. His content evolved into consoomery bullshit, not genuinely interesting content like say gamersnexus produces.

Does this look like a man whose going to produce anything thats going to hurt Microsoft? Or Ford?

View attachment 459709
You're very much misunderstanding. The CYA isn't because of hurting those companies, it's protecting his own company from allegations of favoritism nonsense. It's pretty standard across all industries with that type of stuff. I'd bet you could find a car review channel and they'd have a similar policy in place. It's all stuff their umbrella of channels directly deals in. Streaming stuff sounds funny, but they had a review podcast going for a while. I'm sure the Fed Ex stuff is because of all the shipping and stuff they do with merch. Cars are because they've been reviewing electric cars.

This is all pretty boilerplate shit that likely comes from legal in the first place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t think it’s a bad idea for someone that influential to have in place. It would really easy to accuse someone like that of insider trading, they have insider info with product weeks/months before it goes on sale. They could put something in place like banks where you have to disclose way ahead of time before you buy or sell but that’s probably just a pita, I’d just ban it rather than deal with it.

However I can see the worker side of it too, like “I review AMD and nvidia all day and I can’t buy their stock? wtf I like those companies!”

Overall I’d say Linus is smart for doing that, not stupid. Easier to just not deal with it. If he was losing workers over it maybe it would be a different story.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You're very much misunderstanding. The CYA isn't because of hurting those companies, it's protecting his own company from allegations of favoritism nonsense. It's pretty standard across all industries with that type of stuff. I'd bet you could find a car review channel and they'd have a similar policy in place. It's all stuff their umbrella of channels directly deals in. Streaming stuff sounds funny, but they had a review podcast going for a while. I'm sure the Fed Ex stuff is because of all the shipping and stuff they do with merch. Cars are because they've been reviewing electric cars.

This is all pretty boilerplate shit that likely comes from legal in the first place.
Yeah, I think it's definitely more about that. It's like a gaming stream that doesn't reveal when they've been paid to review a game. Is it actually effective in countering bias or favoritism when they're already getting pre-release items as well as access? Maybe not, but there's the attempt anyway.

People act like he has no influence but I guarantee you if any of those companies could straight up pay him to give positive reviews with no criticism with his 15 million subscribers, they would quickly jump on the chance.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, I think it's definitely more about that. It's like a gaming stream that doesn't reveal when they've been paid to review a game. Is it actually effective in countering bias or favoritism when they're already getting pre-release items as well as access? Maybe not, but there's the attempt anyway.

People act like he has no influence but I guarantee you if any of those companies could straight up pay him to give positive reviews with no criticism with his 15 million subscribers, they would quickly jump on the chance.

When you think someone's been paid off for a good review, you think they were straight up paid for it. You don't think "I bet this reviewer's cousin has their company as part of their 401k"

It does nothing to address actual paid for reviews. This only "solves" a problem it itself creates.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the extended family portion is bullshit. I think even the executives at big banks it’s just you and your spouse. And it definitely doesn’t include every single employee. It’s just for the positions with explicit insider knowledge, acquisitions, government shit, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I imagine a lot of people would get the middle finger in response if they asked their relations to itemize their investment portfolios for the purpose of notifying their employer. I don't see how that affidavit is even honestly answerable.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Used to if you were in the media you put in the article that you had financial ties to said company.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I imagine a lot of people would get the middle finger in response if they asked their relations to itemize their investment portfolios for the purpose of notifying their employer. I don't see how that affidavit is even honestly answerable.
I’m curious what the people working for him make, like $50 a year? Lol at demanding your entire family shed their portfolio.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'd be curious to know if that language is ever actually enforced. I'm guessing it's probably not.

I definitely wouldn't give that kind of information to relatives. I don't think they'd have much power to enforce it anyway as long as you're fine with lying ("No, I/my family have no investments."). I guess they could know the employee has a 401k and pressure them but that's the extent.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Valve revealed that it had recently patched a known issue used by third-party software to cheat in Dota while simultaneously setting a honeypot trap to catch players using the exploit.

“We released a patch as soon as we understood the method these cheats were using,” Valve said. “This patch created a honeypot: a section of data inside the game client that would never be read during normal gameplay, but that could be read by these exploits.” Valve claims that all 40,000 of the now-banned accounts had accessed this hidden section of data, and that it had “extremely high confidence that every ban was well-deserved.”

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1677286572834.png

Saw this on Ebay. Is this an actual thing? Selling saved games on Ebay? It's perfect inventory since technically you can send out unlimited copies of a saved game. Looks like this one's got a few purchases already too.

Now I'm curious about this, wouldn't mind throwing a bunch of save files on Ebay just for the fun of making some money off of it. Got an Elden Ring save with every weapon/item in the game, level 265, but unfortunately on like NG++ or +++ so that's a bit of a downside. And probably a lot of other 100% completed saves that are slipping my mind at the moment. Definitely all of the Souls games that I've played.

Also wondering if this is just a Switch thing or if you can sell save files from PS5 too. Cause I haven't really 100%'d anything on Switch.

• 1NPC

bolok

Trakanon Raider
View attachment 460384
Saw this on Ebay. Is this an actual thing? Selling saved games on Ebay? It's perfect inventory since technically you can send out unlimited copies of a saved game. Looks like this one's got a few purchases already too.

Now I'm curious about this, wouldn't mind throwing a bunch of save files on Ebay just for the fun of making some money off of it. Got an Elden Ring save with every weapon/item in the game, level 265, but unfortunately on like NG++ or +++ so that's a bit of a downside. And probably a lot of other 100% completed saves that are slipping my mind at the moment. Definitely all of the Souls games that I've played.

Also wondering if this is just a Switch thing or if you can sell save files from PS5 too. Cause I haven't really 100%'d anything on Switch.
What year is this??

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What year is this??

I don't know, the guy has already made $50 selling a Metroid Prime save file that he has unlimited inventory of (just email a file, I'm guessing), and apparently has a whole Ebay storefront of 100% save files for different games with varying degrees of sales success. Seems like he's the one who knows what year it is.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For sending someone an email with a file attached? $10 a pop isn't bad at all. Just put a bunch of complete save files together in a folder and dole them out via email as sales come in. It's a lot better than farming kronos, if you want to make some money off of games you've already maxed out.

spronk

FPS noob
kinda bizarre since you'd need a hacked switch to import a save and if your switch is hacked you can just... edit saves. probably just basically scamming people, since afaik there is no way to import other peoples saves into normal switch games and ps5 games (there is a way with ps4 games using a paid program, save wizard)

anyways

• 1Rustled