General Gaming News and Discussion

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I had no idea...wow fuck these guys. I would expect that maybe from those coach sims but we talking Madden and such? Insane. Some of the best times I have had playing football games was early madden on genesis and NFL gameday(I think) on the PS1.

I should have been more specific that I was thinking of mostly the NBA Live 19 and the NBA2K franchises were shockingly bad in the way they cripple your player in career mode and of course for online play. The career modes are the big thing they offer that is supposed to be so innovative, but it's only because that's where the microtransactions come in and it's all tied to online play. To be fair, you can just play with regular NBA teams without being handicapped, but they put a ton of time and resources into the career and online modes just to fuck you if you don't pay out for credits to improve your character.

Just go to the Microsoft store and look at how expensive the special editions of the games are that come with credits that are used to improve your character. It's sick. And if you don't it's a long, frustrating path to just being able to compete, and I'm not even talking about online. I refuse to play online, but just having your guy not do retarded, scripted shit in the game takes forever because they intentionally cripple you to frustrate you into paying to get credits to level up your character.

That's not even considering how somehow the games play like utter shit and the NPC players are so fucking dumb. Sometimes I would just sit on the bench watching the games and the computer controlled characters were doing shit that didn't even resemble basketball. It was weird. But, boy the in game currency systems are fully developed and thought out!

All the NBA games seem to be like this. I don't want to say there is a demographics component, but imo they're exploiting certain demographics and cultural aspects of certain peoples who value things like spending thousands of dollars on sneakers or spinner rims.

To be fair, as Valderen Valderen points out MLB The Show wasn't as bad, but I imagine if you were someone who just wanted to play online primarily the system is still heavily skewed toward paying for credits to shortcut your character to be competitive. The career mode was more tolerable, but it still had the same issue. You're a top prospect and instead of just making the learning curve being learning to play the game, oops, sorry, your stat number isn't high enough so your character runs like shit and can't throw a ball. The basic, fundamentals, sorry no you actually suck at those.

MLB The Show was different in that they reward you a ton of shit, but it was a lot of small gains (unless you grind or pay for currency to buy the best stuff). So, in some ways it was worse, because they'd reward you with cards and equipment non-stop like you were some bird in a skinner box, but the actual improvements to your character were the same long-ass grind that I feel isn't realistic if you're supposed to be some ace prospect so good you're breaking convention as a two-way player. And of course there are the options to just buy currency if you want to be competitive.

It didn't help there was a bug so I played over half a minor league season and my character wasn't gaining any level ups, while still hitting over .500 as a contact hitter on hall of fame difficulty. It was boring and I wanted to have more power, so rerolled a slugger, and my character would strike out non-stop and became a popup artist, but was leveling up at least now so my pitching was decent. It was still annoying how apparent the 'number too low, can't hit the ball' or 'number too low, can't stay in the strike zone' systems were.... which of course you could improve with some in-game purchases!

The game industry is now so often full price games, shit game design where resources go into everything but the basic mechanics of the game, on top of major bugs, and a focus on in-game currency. Especially the sports games that are a shitty and woke as the real leagues and full of social justice bullshit. Nah. Fuck that.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
2k has been like that for a number of years, VC required for everything and it's super egregious.

That's what pissed me off. Not that I had to grind and started out a bit suckier. I mean, I made a 5' 11" point guard focused on nothing but speed and handling and passing. But my guy couldn't handle the ball, couldn't pass, and was slow. And the only offense capability I was built for was shooting, and the fucker could not make a shot. Most of my made shots were layups anyway, so I just rerolled a slasher. But still, so egregious in the number-vs-number system where you lose if your number isn't high enough, and VC is how you get higher numbers, and it's slow going if you don't pay.

My breaking point was my slasher that the only thing he was good at was driving to the basket was being chased down by Lebron. I was so far ahead of him it should have been an easy layup, but instead the animate actually had my slasher slide backwards as he drove as Lebron warped forward so he could block me from behind. At that point, they may as well have a popup admitting they're trying to frustrate you so you buy currency to improve your numbers.

My problem is game systems become too evident and I can't unsee them, and in these pay-to-win sports games it just pisses me off. Let me suck as I learn the game or make a short player and I'll be happy. But when it's so obviously they're just punishing you for having lower numbers that you could pay to be higher, no thanks, can't do it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don’t really know what thread to put this in. Just cleaning out my basement and came across some fond memories.

52910969-81CD-4D04-82BB-7D3762FD1B5A.jpeg6B0BA5BC-21FC-417E-8041-EFCFA3ECAC9A.jpegE6E080D7-4CBD-4236-8F9A-E1909684893A.jpeg

• 18Like
Reactions: 17 users

spronk

FPS noob
GTA 5 is getting a ps5 and series X next gen patch Nov 11th, not really sure if they charge for upgrade (probably) but PS+ users will get a free upgrade or something?

wario tweeted out how PS3 generation got 3 GTA games while GTA 5 has spanned 3 generations of consoles, lol

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That Bloodbourne / Pinocchio story we've always been looking for. Finally.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
list of all known "kinda E3ish" game news streams over the next 3 weeks

image0.png

from his twitch stream apparently. He's 50% on BOTW2 being given more info at E3, and thinks there willl be some Metroid stuff too with a Nintendo Direct sometime in June too

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
this could be cool

although there have been a ton over the years of windows portable gaming devices, including nvidia

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
this could be cool

although there have been a ton over the years of windows portable gaming devices, including nvidia
They tend to fail on the follow through with most of their devices though.

• 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
I weirdly enjoyed steamlink and the steam smartphone app thing so I say let them try

spronk

FPS noob
from a gaming discord game events and release dates for June. Haven't heard of 99% of this shit

-June-
Game Events:
5th - Indie Live Expo
10th - Summer Game Fest
11th - IGN Expo
12th - Ubisoft Forward
12th-15th - E3
13th - Future Games Show

Game Releases:
1st - Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection - PS4
Necromunda: Hired Gun - PS4/PS5
Stonefly - PS4/PS5
Operation Tango - PS4/PS5
Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown - PS4
Wreckfest - PS5
DreamWorks Spirit Lucky's Big Adventure - PS4

3rd - Astalon: Tears of the Earth - PS4
Monster Harvest - PS4
Wing of Darkness - PS4
Tour de France 2021 - PS4/PS5
Open Country - PS4

4th - Evergate - PS5
The Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom - PS4
The Persistence Enhanced - PS5
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 - PS4
Griftlands - PS4

5th - Mighty Goose - PS4/PS5

8th - Chivalry 2 - PS4/PS5
Neptunia ReVerse (NA) - PS5

9th - Green Hell - PS4/PS5

10th - Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - PS5
Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection - PS4
Chicory: A Colorful Tale - PS4/PS5

11th - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5
Guilty Gear -STRIVE- - PS4/PS5
Neptunia ReVerse (EU) - PS5
Dariusburst AC EX+ - PS4

15th - ESO: Console Enhanced - PS5
Dead by Daylight: RE Chapter - PS4/PS5

18th - Metro Exodus Complete Edition - PS5

22nd - D&D: Dark Alliance - PS4/PS5
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: TOVG - PS4

23rd - Fallen Knight - PS4

24th - Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX - PS4/PS5
Legend of Mana Remaster - PS4
Nayuta no Kiseki Kai - PS4
The Wicked King and the Noble Hero - PS4
Samurai Warriors 5 - PS4

25th - Scarlet Nexus - PS4/PS5
Cotton Reboot! - PS4
Blue Fire - PS4

29th - Ghoul Patrol - PS4
Curved Space - PS4/PS5
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - PS4
Ever Forward - PS4/PS5

TBC - Beast of Maravilla Island - PS4
RICO London - PS4/PS5

• 2Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
This is the site I use to remind myself when things are coming out and see what looks good. allows you to filter by platform and see trailers and screenshots at a glance. I know that it is updated extremely frequently because there have been times a company made an announcement about a release date and it was already updated on the site by the time I went to check it. Supports e-mail reminders and tracking.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The 'New and Trending' list on the Steam homepage is what I use typically, lol.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Some really cool things in this vid covering Indie games. Song of Iron and UnMetal are making my list for sure.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users