General Gaming News and Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I miss big box for pc games. For the price of the base game you had a least a cool manual.
To this day I remember the manual for homeworld talking about the world they lived on, it's history and all the factions and their struggles. It was practically a mini book. I think that was an entirely integral part on level 3 being a huge kick in the nuts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
To this day I remember the manual for homeworld talking about the world they lived on, it's history and all the factions and their struggles. It was practically a mini book. I think that was an entirely integral part on level 3 being a huge kick in the nuts.

i have an unopened HomeWorld CE you can still get it for MSRP i think somewhere (??) if you have fond memories of it
www.amazon.com/Homeworld-Remastered-Collectors-pc/dp/B00K6ZUOQE

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Right in the fucking feels.

IMG_03072021_131155_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03072021_131259_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03072021_131227_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03072021_131324_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg

All of them where like this. Need to find my Velious and Tiberium Sun manuals.

You can also see the decline. Here's the Sc2 booklet compared to the above;

IMG_03072021_131346_(1920_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
^ That was back when opening the box on the way back from Software Etc, Babbage's, or even Wal-mart was exhilarating in its own right.

So far my 2.5 year old doesn't show much proclivity for nerd stuff, preferring to go after tractors and shit. In fact, he is only interested in an electronic device if it shows tractors or trucks, but if he does, I feel he's going to miss out on a part of how pure that shit was pre-internet and "owning" downloadable software.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^ That was back when opening the box on the way back from Software Etc, Babbage's, or even Wal-mart was exhilarating in its own right.

So far my 2.5 year old doesn't show much proclivity for nerd stuff, preferring to go after tractors and shit. In fact, he is only interested in an electronic device if it shows tractors or trucks, but if he does, I feel he's going to miss out on a part of how pure that shit was pre-internet and "owning" downloadable software.
2.5 yr old is not old enough to enter realm of nerdom. Trust.

Caeden

2.5 yr old is not old enough to enter realm of nerdom. Trust.
Oh I know. I just know there are pics of me from back then swinging those damn hollow plastic lightsabers around and running around in little jedi cloaks or playing with superhero toys and shit back then. Someone got him Little People DC heroes and cars and he tossed them to the back of his toybox. And if he's not into that shit, he's not. I'm not gonna pull a Varsity Blues on him.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I miss big box for pc games. For the price of the base game you had a least a cool manual.
I am not sure I could count the number of poops I took while reading the manual tomes for games like M1 Tank Platoon, F19 Stealth Fighter and the like.

Edit - Hunt for Red October also. I had an Amiga.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Ever unboxed a tractor? Prob feels equivalent, lol.

Caeden

Ever unboxed a tractor? Prob feels equivalent, lol.
Lol! No. Both our tractors are old Fords we kept running - probably early 80’s models. Tractors run forever. I had planned to buy something newer before my grandfather passed. We’re still debating how to best care for the farm and house. I’m 6 hours away. I don’t want junkies rummaging through it while I’m away.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Lol! No. Both our tractors are old Fords we kept running - probably early 80’s models. Tractors run forever. I had planned to buy something newer before my grandfather passed. We’re still debating how to best care for the farm and house. I’m 6 hours away. I don’t want junkies rummaging through it while I’m away.

Oh sweet. Six hours outside the city? Sounds like paradise for a kid who likes tractors and farming.

My next big buy will be a skid steer.

Caeden

Oh sweet. Six hours outside the city? Sounds like paradise for a kid who likes tractors and farming.

My next big buy will be a skid steer.
It’s about 3 hours from Nashville and 6 from where I am. Barely cell phone reception and no internet. One neighbor. Nearest after that is a couple miles away. 90 or so acres.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users