General Gaming News and Discussion

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Amy Hennig is 'good', but her as director + sole writer on Uncharted 3 is also likely the reason it couldn't hit the dramatic highs of Uncharted 2. IMO the biggest credit for Uncharted 2 being the best game of its era goes to the Bruce Straley + Neil Druckmann combo, which then moved over to create The Last of Us. Uncharted 4 is a toss-up since that's the game she got booted on three years in.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Hey guys, I'm coming through here to look for a fun single player game. Something within the last two years, cause I wanna check out what's new and cool. Any recommendations?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Hey guys, I'm coming through here to look for a fun single player game. Something within the last two years, cause I wanna check out what's new and cool. Any recommendations?
Hades

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Try "Valheim" too. Both Hades and Valheim arent AAA titles, but both are excellent games that are hands down fun as shit to play.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I never saw this collaboration coming.

Fortnite didn't really surprise me given the list of collaborations they've done up to this point.. but, this? I guess when you're pulling 1.3b/yr and in bed with tencent..

As far as expensive cosmetics though, i'd take that over the map dlc era any day.. something enjoyable for me comes from dicking on someone while using default guns and character models. I only really ever draw the line if its p2w content or gatekeeping.. I don't know about the two last battlefields, but they were pretty criminal about it with the maps and they tried with battlefront 2 lootboxes iirc. As a "community" we've been pretty good at policing.. I mean the MTG game got thrown into the dirt with their paywalls and obv lack of any decent gameplay but still as consumers we didnt' really let it slide.. I've spend maybe a total of 100$ on skins since the start of League throughout all the games I played including csgo, cod, apex, valorant ect; which is including battlepasses. I've been gifted plenty of skins in a lot of these games too, csgo I was gifted an at the time 60$ skin, which is now worth up to 200$. But I do miss the days of de_rats, custom maps/mods; ect..

Last edited:

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Hades and Monster Train, two of my most played games the last 2 years

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
hades is on gamepass too, i 100%'d the game recently and even bought it, enjoyed it so much. really great.

yakuza 7 like a dragon is also really great and a good entry point into the series, new character and full excellent english VA. also on gamepass

For a full "this is gaming in 2021" experience I'd say Ghost of Tsushima directors cut (PS5), Final Fantasy VII Intergrade (PS5), or if you have a person to play co-op with It Takes Two (gamepass).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Fortnite didn't really surprise me given the list of collaborations they've done up to this point.. but, this? I guess when you're pulling 1.3b/yr and in bed with tencent..

As far as expensive cosmetics though, i'd take that over the map dlc era any day.. something enjoyable for me comes from dicking on someone while using default guns and character models. I only really ever draw the line if its p2w content or gatekeeping.. I don't know about the two last battlefields, but they were pretty criminal about it with the maps and they tried with battlefront 2 lootboxes iirc. As a "community" we've been pretty good at policing.. I mean the MTG game got thrown into the dirt with their paywalls and obv lack of any decent gameplay but still as consumers we didnt' really let it slide.. I've spend maybe a total of 100$ on skins since the start of League throughout all the games I played including csgo, cod, apex, valorant ect; which is including battlepasses. I've been gifted plenty of skins in a lot of these games too, csgo I was gifted an at the time 60$ skin, which is now worth up to 200$. But I do miss the days of de_rats, custom maps/mods; ect..
It's kinda funny to me that I'm sure a lot of LoL fans would love to play as a fully 3d character from their game, yet fortnite is the first opportunity to do so.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Phantasy Star Online 2 (NGS and OG) have amazing cosmetics, and such to show them off. They usually release 2-3 packs a month themed around something. For example in this video (Timestamped):

Sadly, Sega is running the franchise into the ground with NGS but they are trying to turn it around in the next year so we'll see. I still love the game, but mainly because of the cosmetics. I also love the fact you get lots of free ones, and the ones that you can only get with real money can be bought from other players with the standard currency of the game.
There was a time when amazing cosmetics did not cost a penny. Surely Im not the only one who spent hours looking for the best weapon skins for CS? Hell there was even a time people made complete cosmetic conversions of video games that ended up being insanely popular, like CS!

Daidraco

Hell, I would love to play a 3D version of LoL - I love the world that theyve invented for the game. But the fk if Im going to play Fortnite to do so. Im going to be so salty if the Riot MMO is a shit game.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hell, I would love to play a 3D version of LoL - I love the world that theyve invented for the game. But the fk if Im going to play Fortnite to do so. Im going to be so salty if the Riot MMO is a shit game.
They hired people like Ghostcrawler so...

I don't think that anyone knows how to make an MMO, it's just getting people attached to an IP so they accept the suffering involved. They have a good chance, they are developing the IP nicely with Runeterra and LoL.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Genshin impact isnt even making its money from selling cosmetics directly. You buy slot machine pulls to hopefully get the characters and weapons you want.
Isn’t that what got Epic sued? Loot Piñatas?

The lawsuit said it was gambling for kids. Epic lost.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Depends on what system you have. If you're looking for a cutting-edge modern high-def game, go with Ghost of Tsushima (preferably PS5 version).

If you're looking for something just flat-out fun but also a bit indyish and not cutting-edge, go with Hades.

Edit: Speaking of Hades, I REALLY wish I'd gotten it on Switch instead of PS5. It's like a perfect Switch game in short doses. And I frequently find myself out with the Switch in tow, whereas I rarely sit in front of the TV/PS5. Unfortunately my Hades game is on PS5. Maybe I'll just cut my losses and get/play the Switch version. Would need to replay a few hours and I'm sure I'd lose some money, but whatever. Selling the PS5 version would pay for most of it.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isn’t that what got Epic sued? Loot Piñatas?

The lawsuit said it was gambling for kids. Epic lost.
gacha is still legal, whatever epic was doing just stepped too far across some arbitrary line between gacha and gambling.

Daidraco

Really, most of those games can get by all the laws by just saying up front, a warning that its Gambling, and putting the statistical average of getting the item you want in front of the person before they buy. As far as Ive read, the rules for a lot of countries; it just sounds like the same rules that companies have to abide by for advertising in the US.

So essentially, if they stop being afraid of just showing their hand - they can throw out the most egregious shit and there isnt shit anyone can do about it. They have to deal with the places that dont allow gambling, but people will find a way to play that shit regardless. Especially if games like Lost Ark are any example of playing games that are geographically restricted. All any of those games have to do is just, well, make a good fucking game.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Someone I know wants to build a PC for their younger kids for christmas. They're on a tight budget though for about $300, but they have an older video card already (970). Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to start? I was thinking a used ryzen 2600 but it's pretty hard to build a whole system for $300 even without the vidya card.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Someone I know wants to build a PC for their younger kids for christmas. They're on a tight budget though for about $300, but they have an older video card already (970). Does anyone have a good recommendation for where to start? I was thinking a used ryzen 2600 but it's pretty hard to build a whole system for $300 even without the vidya card.
Probably need to hit up some for sale groups and see if there's a used system they can use as a base.

• 2Like

Daidraco

You "could" do it, but it would just be a complete shitter of a computer and just not worth the time.

Pretty much what Janx Janx said, they just need to go buy a used computer. Look at pawn shops etc. A business I used to own was right next to a pawn shop and I used to go hang out with the owner from time to time. When I was over there, I got to see a lot of low to mid tier computers being brought in and then listed for 3-400 bucks. Since they have a video card already, theyre in a good state that they can just pay attention to the CPU/RAM. A 970 is in my work computer is a pretty damn good card for its age, and on that same note, its also going to be a bottle neck for a lot of newer components. Hell, they could probably find a nicer PC with like a 1660 or some shit.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

have them join their local cities nextdoor and reddit forums and post about how they want to buy their child a used PC to learn how to become a PC gamer

"my kid wants to play fortnite on a switch but I really want them to discover PC gaming and the joys of Skyrim and Minecraft and modding and how to clean PSUs, I can't afford much for poor Timmy but I want him to grow up to be a good PC gamer. Can anyone help me out?" is the 2021 equivalent of "15/f/cali looking for RP in goldshire inn"

just tell them to NEVER, EVER, EVER let the PC gamer actually interact with their child in any way or share their online ids and shit, cuz that dude is 90% likely to be a lonely pedo. hard reformat the PC make sure no hidden spyware in the bios etc. heck make sure there isn't a tracking device in it lol

• 3Like
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 4 users