General Gaming News and Discussion

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm embarrassed for anyone in the industry still using the term next-gen. At least saying it's "true" next-gen is admitting the term has been dogshit marketing lingo to this point?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I'm embarrassed for anyone in the industry still using the term next-gen. At least saying it's "true" next-gen is admitting the term has been dogshit marketing lingo to this point?
We haven't seen anything "next-gen" since we went from 2d on cartridge consoles to 3d on disc based consoles, I will concur that StarFox was "next-gen" but there have no significant development in video games since the ps1. Minor advances? Sure, but nothing truly amazingly new and interesting. They tried, and failed, with VR however that is as good as it has gotten.

The biggest advancement we have gotten, outside of graphical technology which is always advancing, is dlc and microtransactions. **Sad face**

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
It's like a Seinfeld joke.

What's the deal with next-gen? How can it be next-gen but not this-gen? So is this-gen last-gen? Who are these people that come up with the gens?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If history has taught us anything, hardware is the main contributor to limiting someones imagination. Second is the wide spread adoption of said hardware. Third is ease of use of said hardware. Lastly, is the finances to do so. So until someone comes up with a way that pushes the limits once again and the stars align, we're just going to see the same shit done in slightly different ways.

werper

Silver Squire
Two remakes of classic Counter-Strike maps, as well as Prime matchmaking and new equipment, were added to the game in 2021. Nuke was rebuilt and re-released in February as part of the Operation Wildfire campaign, with the major aim being to balance the map and make it more aesthetically attractive. Prime matchmaking was added to the game in April. A confirmed phone number has to be linked to the user's account in order to participate in this mode. Also were added new skins, that could be traded on csgo trading sites without fees, besides this a bot that is able to help in trading whenever you want.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We haven't seen anything "next-gen" since we went from 2d on cartridge consoles to 3d on disc based consoles, I will concur that StarFox was "next-gen" but there have no significant development in video games since the ps1. Minor advances? Sure, but nothing truly amazingly new and interesting. They tried, and failed, with VR however that is as good as it has gotten.

The biggest advancement we have gotten, outside of graphical technology which is always advancing, is dlc and microtransactions. **Sad face**

Shit we can't even play a realistic "VR" game with someone else at the same time similar to Tron yet.

True next gen.

IMGP6219ed-sm.JPG

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn, that'd be tempting if I hadn't already given up waiting on MS to finally announce a Series 3 made for the new consoles and bought a PowerA Fusion Pro 2 (which is excellent if you can deal with the wired-only thing).

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
its the elite model that has paddles on the bottom and built in rechargable battery pack. its pretty good, can't really argue its $140 good (and msrp is $200 lol) and lots of people have had issues with the elite 2 breaking

i've used elite 1 and elite 2 for years and like them, the paddles are fantastic for specific games like hades where i could dash and attack without moving my fingers (anytime basically you want to hit multiple face buttons rapidly)

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Damn, that'd be tempting if I hadn't already given up waiting on MS to finally announce a Series 3 made for the new consoles and bought a PowerA Fusion Pro 2 (which is excellent if you can deal with the wired-only thing).

I have the Spectra from PowerA and I'm quite fond of it. I had to find a controller with an old school d-pad for retro gaming, and ended up liking the other features on it for regular PC games too.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
It's hard to tell if people are just rough and/or are disgusting human beings since both elite controller model review pages are nonstop littered with people complaining about something being busted, having to do multiple buy/returns, DIY their own fixes or flat out stop working within a year which for 2-3x the price seems really garbage quality control.

I know if I buy one that comes busted I'm going to be pissed off at having to waste even 5 minutes of my time on a return <_<

Meanwhile my 2 normal xbox controllers from like 2017 look and work like they are brand new and are going strong thousand+ hours gamed on and have practically no bad reviews by comparison.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My original elite is still going strong, the battery on my brooks x one adapter has pretty much stopped holding a charge so when I saw the series 2 for $140 decided I'll do a complete controller overhaul. I'll eventually add a x one se adapter to it but I'm only playing on PC right now so can wait on that for a bit.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have the Spectra from PowerA and I'm quite fond of it. I had to find a controller with an old school d-pad for retro gaming, and ended up liking the other features on it for regular PC games too.
I'm a big fan of the Fusion Pro 2, even though it barely changed from the original Pro. It comes with tall sticks so I was able to swap out the right stick instead of using a short/tall pair of FPS Freeks like I normally do. The paddles work just as well as the ones on the Elite, and you can remove a pair of them if you like, or even remove the whole paddle assembly if the game you're playing has no need for it. I prefer the d-pad too, it's like the Xbone controller instead of the shitty one they put on the Elite and then copied over to the Series X. Also has trigger stops just like the Elite, and similar to how the Elite allows you to dim or shut off the light (fucking BS that they thought it was ok to limit that to just the $180 controller) the PowerA has a tiny light that isn't annoying in a pitch black room either.

Only real downside is the wire, but that's because MS won't allow third parties to mimic all the Elite's features unless the controller is wired. For $80 instead of $180 (or even $140 on sale) I'm fine with putting up with the wire. Especially when I'm using my headset, since plugging that into the controller drains the battery much faster.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
CAG maintains a spreadsheet of all black friday video game and movie deals, most are live at this point. you can see it here

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mgPve8b9TW97k7wWy1KXgibbqvOB6NxQ-ANwNLyzy-0/

i already picked up 90% of what I wanted to play for the next year via gamestop B2G1 including

Death Stranding Directors Cut
Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut
Returnal
Deathloop
Tales of Arise
Far Cry 6
Demonslayer
Nier
Lost Judgment
Scarlet Nexus
Monster Hunter Rise
Nier Replicant
Super Monkey Ball Blitz
Doki Doki Literature Club
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Alan Wake Remastered
a bunch of switch kids games

Guardians of the Galaxy and a few Ubisoft games are also on a good sale but I've already got em.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
I picked up GotG and GoT Directors Cut but GameStop is only doing bogo on the pre-owned stuff now. Had a ton of store credit so just bought new copies.

spronk

FPS noob
gamestop hasn't posted a black friday deal yet, they are just matching best buy and walmart. amazon doesn't really run video game black friday deals, they just price match whoevers the best for the most popular stuff.

technically black friday isn't for another WEEK but best buy jumped the gun and gamestop matched them, and if you were fast you got some amazing deals since they were still running a b2g1 at the time (which is dead now).

joz123

Potato del Grande
Amazon is doing a bogo on some games besides similar prices on games to Best buy and gamestop