General Gaming News and Discussion

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In the past decade I paid money for some tabs in POE. That’s my shame, but I got hundreds of hours out of it, I think I gave them $20. So, I’m not really ashamed of that, I almost bought more just to give them more money but I didn’t need em.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
In the past decade I paid money for some tabs in POE. That’s my shame, but I got hundreds of hours out of it, I think I gave them $20. So, I’m not really ashamed of that, I almost bought more just to give them more money but I didn’t need em.
That's kind of me too. I've tossed about $40-$80 bucks at POE and $40-$100 at BDO - all for QOL shit. Then I've tossed what feels like $400 to Stellaris and Total War:Warhammer DLC. That's basically the extent of my MTX over the last 10+ years of this shit.

I rationalize QOL shit by the fact that it's a ONE time purchase that'll significantly increase my enjoyment/efficiency and in effect, "pay for itself". I know it's a poor justification, but I also realize that games have been $50-60/box for like 30 fucking years and that obviously isn't sustainable, so companies have to make their money SOMEHOW. I'm just thankful that cosmetic shit bounces off of me like Superman. Miss me with that bullshit.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I spent 100 bucks a league on poe up until tencent bought em, not a cent since.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
POE and MTGA are the only two microtransaction games I've ever spent money on. About 120 total on POE and 240ish on MTGA.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I spent 100 bucks a league on poe up until tencent bought em, not a cent since.
Why per league? Did you have to rebuy stash tabs each time? I never messed with the leagues so never knew how those worked.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
POE and MTGA are the only two microtransaction games I've ever spent money on. About 120 total on POE and 240ish on MTGA.
That’s a bargain for MTG. That’s like what you spend in 2-3 months on the real thing.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why per league? Did you have to rebuy stash tabs each time? I never messed with the leagues so never knew how those worked.

Supporter packs which were usually new armor/weapon mtx, some new pet/portal, etc. stash tabs were permanent across all leagues

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

after getting all the tabs I needed I just dumped money into garbage, I just really liked the game and for a number of years felt like they were putting out such great new content every quarter (new league) that they deserved my money once I factored in my hours played

• 1Solidarity

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My take is that PoE's model is pretty well on the up and up for mtx. Game is free. A league is about 3 months. A pack is about $60, so $20/mo. I used to soak up every league like i was sopping up gravy with a biscuit. Don't really regret the mtx too much other than when they'd dumpster skills i had mtx for.

The EA shit and loot boxes on top of box prices...i think that's the model. I haven't bought that shit in years...that shit pisses me off.

I'm ok with games as service if I'm getting my money's worth. I thought I did with WoW up until BFA. I feel I have with PoE, FF14, and SWTOR's first....year or 8mo..something like that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont see cash shops going away anytime soon simply because some cash shops are a pretty good trade off for having a free to play game. In the original release of BDO (havent played it since then so maybe its different now?) I thought the cash shop was pretty fair. I received the game for free through some promotion and I paid probably 60-80 bucks in QoL shit and a Ghillie suit in total. For a game that I poured a good 1000 hours into altogether, thats a pretty good deal. The people I saw spending several hundreds of dollars in BDO just looked like they had no self control. Cash Shops in games like WoW though, are a fucking scam. Initial box price, expansion price, subscription fee, and then you want to skim content from the game just to sell it back to me? Fuck that.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its almost like we've come full circle to Oblivion and the infamous horse armor DLC

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have read before that what really changed the DLC landscape was Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. It was created as a total afterthought addition to the game. Yet its trading card class type design was generating equivalent of tens of thousands of box sales off of just a few whales.

The industry took heavy note of that and then it gradually became baked in to everything. For as much as Jim Sterling became an annoying tranbo he was dead on incessantly bitching about this trend for the past decade. Dude rightfully hates "cosmetic only" microtransactions because they're just part of the problem.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont see cash shops going away anytime soon simply because some cash shops are a pretty good trade off for having a free to play game. In the original release of BDO (havent played it since then so maybe its different now?) I thought the cash shop was pretty fair. I received the game for free through some promotion and I paid probably 60-80 bucks in QoL shit and a Ghillie suit in total. For a game that I poured a good 1000 hours into altogether, thats a pretty good deal. The people I saw spending several hundreds of dollars in BDO just looked like they had no self control. Cash Shops in games like WoW though, are a fucking scam. Initial box price, expansion price, subscription fee, and then you want to skim content from the game just to sell it back to me? Fuck that.
Except these games are becoming ever more shells of games with more and more content defacto hidden behind paywalls. Take rdr2 for example;

tldr fuck whales and kids. We had a nice thing going at one point but fucking retards ruined it with their incessant need to buy retarded pixels that will have no use in a year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider

You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Saw this launched today. Hope it does well as the game was way better than that new abomination. $30 seems a bit steep though.

spronk

FPS noob
interesting look at the ps4 jailbreak, i digitally own pretty much every game i'd ever want to play on PS4 so a steam deck seems a better emulator machine to me but this does look cool

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this launched today. Hope it does well as the game was way better than that new abomination. $30 seems a bit steep though.
Cool it’s relaunched but yeah, $30 is way too steep. It was a shallow game even back then and now it’s visually and mechanically really dated. It should be $5.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Cryptic is being acquired and folded into Gearbox.