General Gaming News and Discussion

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Cryptic / Perfect Worlds got just railed by the collosal design failure that was Magic Legends.

Hopefully Gearbox can provide at least some oversight to avoid such glaring mistakes in the future.

spronk

FPS noob
stalker 2 delayed to dec 2022 from like this month

that was the game that was in an uproar over built in NFTs recently. i think its coming to gamepass too

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
stalker 2 delayed to dec 2022 from like this month

that was the game that was in an uproar over built in NFTs recently. i think its coming to gamepass too

That's a huge fucking pushback.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Translation:

"Hello - due to the outrage of NFT's and the release schedule we will be competing against, we are going to delay in the hopes the NFT rage dies down so we can still get that in there and destroy the game knowing the December 2022 release schedule will suck. Thanks!"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob

mobile gaming pulled in $116b in revenue in 2021. I think thats bigger than PC+console gaming combined (software). Bummer, hard not to read the tea leaves and see the best and brightest focused on that over the next decade instead of the stuff I like - simple, single player story games.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Clown World
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

mobile gaming pulled in $116b in revenue in 2021. I think thats bigger than PC+console gaming combined (software). Bummer, hard not to read the tea leaves and see the best and brightest focused on that over the next decade instead of the stuff I like - simple, single player story games.
You shouldnt look at it "that way" because the two will eventually meet in some capacity.

- Globally, in 2016 there was roughly 3500 smart phones per million, its over double that in 2022. Smart phones are making their way into every nook and cranny of every country, even shit holes like Somalia thats below third world standards. Where as just ACCESS to a computer has almost stagnated, growing by only one or two percent per year, globally. Smart phones on average, globally, dont have the power to run games like BDO Mobile, or Genshin Impact. However, the average smart phone processing/video capability is getting better and better every single year. Much harder to quantify the last statistic because you have phones being hobbled together in places like Shenzen, China. Where this samsung chip is paired with this apple chip etc. etc.

- Data transfer capabilities have blown up in comparison to what they were in 2011. We have new Satellites being launched all the time, new intercontinental submarine data cables being laid all the time etc. Hell, how annoying was it in 2011 for you to hear "Jajajaja" in a game of league? They didnt have their own data center back then and now they do. When we see Africa show up in data center selection on a game, I think globally, we'll have hit a mile marker for internet capability.

The point Im trying to make is that soon*, globally, your average user will be able to stream a AAA title to their phone and play it with cheap peripherals. We'll still get block buster games and we'll still have shitty, shallow ass phone only games - but games in general wont suffer for it and only get better.

• 1OK, Sure
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You shouldnt look at it "that way" because the two will eventually meet in some capacity.

- Globally, in 2016 there was roughly 3500 smart phones per million, its over double that in 2022. Smart phones are making their way into every nook and cranny of every country, even shit holes like Somalia thats below third world standards. Where as just ACCESS to a computer has almost stagnated, growing by only one or two percent per year, globally. Smart phones on average, globally, dont have the power to run games like BDO Mobile, or Genshin Impact. However, the average smart phone processing/video capability is getting better and better every single year. Much harder to quantify the last statistic because you have phones being hobbled together in places like Shenzen, China. Where this samsung chip is paired with this apple chip etc. etc.

- Data transfer capabilities have blown up in comparison to what they were in 2011. We have new Satellites being launched all the time, new intercontinental submarine data cables being laid all the time etc. Hell, how annoying was it in 2011 for you to hear "Jajajaja" in a game of league? They didnt have their own data center back then and now they do. When we see Africa show up in data center selection on a game, I think globally, we'll have hit a mile marker for internet capability.

The point Im trying to make is that soon*, globally, your average user will be able to stream a AAA title to their phone and play it with cheap peripherals. We'll still get block buster games and we'll still have shitty, shallow ass phone only games - but games in general wont suffer for it and only get better.
Yeah, Mobile gaming is in the Super Nintendo phase. We've still got Playstation, Playstation 2 etc. to go.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I spent more than I'm willing to admit on Marvel Strike Force over a few years. Finally shook that habit last year.

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
We'll still get block buster games and we'll still have shitty, shallow ass phone only games - but games in general wont suffer for it and only get better.

Is expanding the gaming market in shithole countries with street shitter and bone spitter cultures really going to increase the quality of games?

Take MMORPGs for instance. I don't think the games were improved overall with the market expanding into China especially, but not even the expansion/incorporation of good Asian cultures.

The MMORPG market was strongest and had the most potential for young, American male gamers when those games were, shocker, made for young, American male gamers.

Globalization of the gaming industry has created worse products because the way the companies make the most money is attempting to deliver a generic appeals-to-all game. Or worse games that cater to the largest markets by population (China) that may not have the same standards for what makes an entertaining game. Or extra worse, they dumb down games for women and kids, because their purchasing power (often your money) is way higher than their expectations or standards.

The best games are games made for specific markets, but that's more expensive and with higher risk of failure. It doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't adapt games to other markets, of course, or allow for those interested to access those games. But globalization of the gaming industry, especially based on the notion everyone in mud hut will have a smart phone, is going to continue turning the industry to shit overall. While the industry increases profits, of course.

Granted, mobile games that can easily be played while some dude across the world is shitting in the street will be better than ever! And your wife and kids will spend a lot of your hard earned money also playing them. I guess that's a plus if that's really what one envisioned as the height of the gaming industry being.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mic Drop

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is expanding the gaming market in shithole countries with street shitter and bone spitter cultures really going to increase the quality of games?

Take MMORPGs for instance. I don't think the games were improved overall with the market expanding into China especially, but not even the expansion/incorporation of good Asian cultures.

The MMORPG market was strongest and had the most potential for young, American male gamers when those games were, shocker, made for young, American male gamers.

Globalization of the gaming industry has created worse products because the way the companies make the most money is attempting to deliver a generic appeals-to-all game. Or worse games that cater to the largest markets by population (China) that may not have the same standards for what makes an entertaining game. Or extra worse, they dumb down games for women and kids, because their purchasing power (often your money) is way higher than their expectations or standards.

The best games are games made for specific markets, but that's more expensive and with higher risk of failure. It doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't adapt games to other markets, of course, or allow for those interested to access those games. But globalization of the gaming industry, especially based on the notion everyone in mud hut will have a smart phone, is going to continue turning the industry to shit overall. While the industry increases profits, of course.

Granted, mobile games that can easily be played while some dude across the world is shitting in the street will be better than ever! And your wife and kids will spend a lot of your hard earned money also playing them. I guess that's a plus if that's really what one envisioned as the height of the gaming industry being.
I dont dispute much of anything you said, in all seriousness. Im not pro-globalization and do believe in the US first, I just stated what is happening and judging what will happen by giving those statistics. An indie developer that puts out an outstanding game has a much better chance of getting seen now, than they ever have in the past and it will only get better for them in monetary value. Which in turn will mean better games for us in the long run. Especially since the original conversation was to the tune of single player games.
To quote the relevant text:
simple, single player story games.
MMO's are another conversation entirely and as you pointed out, suffer the most from globalization.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I dont dispute much of anything you said, in all seriousness. Im not pro-globalization and do believe in the US first, I just stated what is happening and judging what will happen by giving those statistics. An indie developer that puts out an outstanding game has a much better chance of getting seen now, than they ever have in the past and it will only get better for them in monetary value. Which in turn will mean better games for us in the long run. Especially since the original conversation was to the tune of single player games.
To quote the relevant text:

MMO's are another conversation entirely and as you pointed out, suffer the most from globalization.

If the expanding reach of the gaming industry makes for better games, then why aren't the games better?

The MMORPG example is perhaps the most egregious, but it's not another conversation entirely. It's the model many in the industry are following. It's the model many industries are following. It works great for the corporations, and becomes terrible for the foundational consumers.

I almost used core consumers, but the whole point is the industry shifts who their core consumers are. And as long as these corporate gaming companies make their profit they don't give a shit if the people who enabled the industry with money and support are left behind.

The very fact you're shifting focus to independent games proves the point. Independent games wasn't the conversation. You literally cited AAA games and talking about a convergence between the two... Between what? Quality single player games that defined the rise of the gaming industry and the massive market for mobile games? Or worse regular games "accessible" on mobile devices for global audiences?

And now, ah, but what about the independent studios? That wasn't the topic, and doesn't address the concerns with the mobile gaming industry undermining the gaming industry as we knew it.

Will the next Fallout game be the best ever because game companies are selling out for Zinga style mobile games? Or thinking the best development strategy is marketing to global audiences due to the proliferation of smartphones worldwide? Or catering to the expanding non-traditional gamer markets? Or bowing to wokeness as if the game is more enjoyable knowing it was made by a multicultural team of non-binary devs?

The direction things are going there is no point the divide closes. There is no point the mobile gaming industry converges with who knows what to start pumping out quality, old school AAA games. Such games are antiquated in the eyes of the industry.

So, yeah, we agree... The industry built massive success on the backs of a small, but loyal audience, who are going to have to rely on indie titles to have a place at the table of an industry they helped build.

It's a common occurrence, and one where the foundational fans are always promised the industry greed and profits will lead to better products for those foundational fans. But does it actually happen? Or do these industries just keep pursuing the most profitable avenue and sucking up all the best talent and companies in the process?

The thing that sucks is even the few holdouts like CD Project Red are shitting the bed and having a hard time competing.

And I'm not saying there won't still be good games, just that it will be despite (and hopefully to spite) the success and direction of the industry, not because of it.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like a decrease in value if you ask me.

I don't think so, there are plenty who will play the older COD's in a heartbeart but didn't want to buy them since they almost never get heavily discounted. And as mentioned in the other thread, adding WoW without the sub fee brings more subs to Game Pass.

spronk

FPS noob
thats an insane price, i don't really get what Activision/Blizzard has thats worth $70b. COD, ok fine worth a few billy. Blizzard? absolutely fucking nothing, no one gives a shit anymore about Wow, diablo, overwatch. Well I bought my ATVI shares at $20 years and years ago so selling out at $85-90 is a nice 4x bagger.

it would be cool if wow goes console and f2p though, i have no desire to ever really play the game again but i'd log into ogrimmar, run around on my A'lar mount and then logoff

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users