General Gaming News and Discussion

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I didn't know where to put this, but it looks like tyen tyen will be poor forever.

1653054547491.png

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

The video game market is consolidating like never before, and Electronic Arts is scrambling like everyone else. The Battlefield and FIFA maker recently pursued a merger with NBCUniversal, and also held potential acquisition talks with Disney, Apple, and other companies, according to a new report by Puck. While a deal isn’t currently in the works, it doesn’t sound like EA plans to give up anytime soon.

“In recent years, as media companies have taken greater interest in the rapidly growing gaming industry, Wilson and Electronic Arts have held talks with a number of different potential suitors, including Disney, Apple and Amazon, sources with knowledge of those talks told me,” wrote Puck’s veteran media reporter, Dylan Beyers. “Several sources familiar with these talks say EA has been persistent in pursuing a sale, and has only grown more emboldened in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal. Others say that EA is primarily interested in a merger arrangement that would allow Wilson to remain as chief executive of the combined company.”

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

The video game market is consolidating like never before, and Electronic Arts is scrambling like everyone else. The Battlefield and FIFA maker recently pursued a merger with NBCUniversal, and also held potential acquisition talks with Disney, Apple, and other companies, according to a new report by Puck. While a deal isn’t currently in the works, it doesn’t sound like EA plans to give up anytime soon.

“In recent years, as media companies have taken greater interest in the rapidly growing gaming industry, Wilson and Electronic Arts have held talks with a number of different potential suitors, including Disney, Apple and Amazon, sources with knowledge of those talks told me,” wrote Puck’s veteran media reporter, Dylan Beyers. “Several sources familiar with these talks say EA has been persistent in pursuing a sale, and has only grown more emboldened in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal. Others say that EA is primarily interested in a merger arrangement that would allow Wilson to remain as chief executive of the combined company.”

Haha whoever purchase these assclowns may as well just burn their cash instead and see more value from the heat it gives off on a cold night.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They just lost the FIFA branding as well. Imagine they will still have success with soccer fans but I would think it is not great look for any potential buyer

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They just lost the FIFA branding as well. Imagine they will still have success with soccer fans but I would think it is not great look for any potential buyer

Meh, FIFA tried to more than double their licensing fees, remains to be seen if it's a real loss or the 30 year old franchise keeps on trucking. Almost certainly will be the latter.

EA is over 10k employees, over $5b a year in revenue, profitable, and growing. They'll be bought if the terms are right.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It would only be fitting if they were the last one to get shot in the back of the head.

1653167596643.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob

huh thats cool a game about Jesus not dying but being angry and fucking shit up, 1500 years later his army controls the world

from Poland

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think they did this with Polterchrist and a Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saw that on some stream. My curiosity at this point just revolves around "After the average users PC is doing photo realism at 8k 240 refresh/fps, then what?" What's around that corner? Thats probably a good 30 years before the "average" user can produce that kind of output (or stream it to their home media) but, ya.

• 1Like

Malakriss

The vast majority of games don't require more than 60 fps, even more so if you narrow it to console games. 8K60 would be an acceptable baseline and 8K120 as something reasonable for normal PC gamers to push for in another decade. But then the professionals would still be on 1440p monitors with 480 Hz and polling rates above 10000 Hz.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

The vast majority of games don't require more than 60 fps, even more so if you narrow it to console games. 8K60 would be an acceptable baseline and 8K120 as something reasonable for normal PC gamers to push for in another decade. But then the professionals would still be on 1440p monitors with 480 Hz and polling rates above 10000 Hz.
Stating 8k240 was kind of an exaggerated example - was just trying to skip that answer. I can "BARELY' tell the difference between an 8k tv and a 4k tv when theyre side by side. Is that because Im getting old and my eye sight isnt 20/20 anymore? Idk. But just.. what is next? Once hardware reaches that point, and the software is there to take advantage of it - thats the area I always enjoy theorizing about.

Malakriss

Stating 8k240 was kind of an exaggerated example - was just trying to skip that answer. I can "BARELY' tell the difference between an 8k tv and a 4k tv when theyre side by side. Is that because Im getting old and my eye sight isnt 20/20 anymore? Idk. But just.. what is next? Once hardware reaches that point, and the software is there to take advantage of it - thats the area I always enjoy theorizing about.
Games might support displaying 8K resolutions but the textures are typically limited to 4K. Both for file size reasons as well as time constraints on design. HD Remasters at 1080p usually have modders designing character models at 4K/8K but the background, buildings, objects, etc are baked into the game and not going to be messed with. By the time Unreal 5 becomes the new standard devs and artists might be pushing into 8K but screens outpace what you can realistically put on them. So you'll see upgrades in engines to make use of facial and clothing detail, then lighting and effects. Why? Skins and DLC. That's where the post-box sale $$$ comes from.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw that on some stream. My curiosity at this point just revolves around "After the average users PC is doing photo realism at 8k 240 refresh/fps, then what?" What's around that corner? Thats probably a good 30 years before the "average" user can produce that kind of output (or stream it to their home media) but, ya.
Does it need to keep pushing once it’s at max realism and refresh? It moves into a realm of just pushing the visual things that are happening that we don’t see in real life for maximum escapism. Focusing on stories and exotic locales. Space exploration, new planets and worlds, just looking like it’s a real thing instead of a game. There doesn’t need to be a what’s next once we’re at holodeck levels.

Daidraco

Does it need to keep pushing once it’s at max realism and refresh? It moves into a realm of just pushing the visual things that are happening that we don’t see in real life for maximum escapism. Focusing on stories and exotic locales. Space exploration, new planets and worlds, just looking like it’s a real thing instead of a game. There doesn’t need to be a what’s next once we’re at holodeck levels.
Thats part of it, sure. I guess I was looking at it from a more granular perspective of where the focus of resources is going to go at that point. Grass for example, how many times is a company going to design grass before they just share that asset with the rest of the companies within the corporation. My theory (or just maybe a personal hope?) is that the funds and time thats reduced from the art department will go towards making everything interactable and destructive environments. Vaporware EQNext Voxels put on steroids for example.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thats part of it, sure. I guess I was looking at it from a more granular perspective of where the focus of resources is going to go at that point. Grass for example, how many times is a company going to design grass before they just share that asset with the rest of the companies within the corporation. My theory (or just maybe a personal hope?) is that the funds and time thats reduced from the art department will go towards making everything interactable and destructive environments. Vaporware EQNext Voxels put on steroids for example.
I’m guessing the push to VR will become more prevalent. Once you’re at that level of realism and your brain can’t distinguish the game from reality there will be some wild shit people come up with.

• 1Like