General Gaming News and Discussion

Nemesis

Bridgeburner

The games industry seems kind of grim right now.
that guy's delivery is like the worst mix of shock talk radio and micro machines commercials.
he could have some really interesting points, but they're so buried under wrestlemania jibber jabber that I can't hear em

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some people treat certain video games exactly like marriage.

• First it's a honey moon phase, lots of long nights and euphoria.
  • Then things slow down and it becomes a bit of a grind.
  • Eventually the game or the developer triggers them so hard they feel like they must get a divorce and then tell everyone who will listen not to date the game. Like some bad marriages, the truth is they got lazy, sloppy and spent way too much time being a couch potato with a singular focus, letting themselves go and consuming far too much of the game far too quickly without giving anything back or trying to help other people. The game rejects them subtly at first, then more overtly and they refused to change or look inward for corrections or other things to do.
  • Finally when the game won't even excite a single neuron anymore, they tell the world the horrible truth about this monster they've been captivated by.
  • Once in a blue moon, they might hook the game back up for a "looty call", but it rarely lasts or works out like it did at first.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Or maybe it's just that the game was great and the devs went full retard somewhere along the way and now it deserves to be torched in reviews.

Yeah, I'm looking at you Warframe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
sounds like ubisoft is gonna hold a release schedule event on 9/10, and leaks about next years assassins creed

sounds ok i guess, playing in 9th century persia sounds cool and they will get nostalgia feels with a AC1 remaster using the engine and sell it part of the season pass. I think this is the last mainline assassins creed game, after that it'll be Assassins Creed Infinity which is supposed to be more a GAAS game like Destiny, Halo Infinite, etc. Zero confidence ever Ubisoft pulling that off, but even their last 5 years of games have been utterly mediocre.

Never touched AC Dawn of Ragnarok, Valhalla just wasn't that interesting except for the first 4-5 hours.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
that guy's delivery is like the worst mix of shock talk radio and micro machines commercials.
he could have some really interesting points, but they're so buried under wrestlemania jibber jabber that I can't hear em
TBH I agree, a lot of Youtube/elsewhere people at present make great points but it's buried under a bunch of yelling or name-calling or whatever else that turns normies off.

Vorph

So I guess the Elden Ring UX meme was more of a prophecy...
FXF9TpAWYAEext0.jpg

And hell, at this point I'm not even sure if it's the Sony part or the Tencent part which is more concerning.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Weak defense of Tencent, but they’ve mostly kept their hands off PoE and other properties.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That’s depressing. I hope they leave the studio alone completely.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I dont know how much they originally owned, but this wasnt them newly buying into From Soft, they both increased their positions. They already owned some of it.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I dont know how much they originally owned, but this wasnt them newly buying into From Soft, they both increased their positions. They already owned some of it.

And their parent company still owns 70% of From. So it's not like they can come in and just start making demands and changing shit

Vorph

30% is absolutely enough ownership to make demands that have to be taken seriously, but at least in this case that would require Sony and Tencent to put up a united front. Not sure how likely that is really, it's not like Chinese and Japanese are exactly known for working together.

IIRC From Soft was wholly owned by Kadokawa prior to this, and Tencent / Sony just owned small amounts of that company. (A little less than 7% and 2% respectively, according to wokepedia.)

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

From makes Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Bloodborne, etc

Bloodborne IP was already owned by Sony. Hence why it's never seen a shared platform release, but might see a PC release since Sony has started releasing their first party titles to that platform now.

That said, with the success of Elden Ring and the reputation of FromSoft, I don't think they're a studio that will receive much direction of their games except "keep doing what you're doing". So if they go "We want to try something new now after Elden Ring and make a survival platform game!", they'll most likely get a message then from Sony/Tencent saying "No, you're making Elden Ring 2".

In the Elden Ring thread it was already speculated before release that it was highly likely that companies (most likely Sony) would proceed with buying up FromSoft stock based on the success of Elden Ring. Now that it turned out to be a home run with 16+ million sales, it's no wonder other companies also started buying like Tencent.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bloodborne IP was already owned by Sony. Hence why it's never seen a shared platform release, but might see a PC release since Sony has started releasing their first party titles to that platform now.

That said, with the success of Elden Ring and the reputation of FromSoft, I don't think they're a studio that will receive much direction of their games except "keep doing what you're doing". So if they go "We want to try something new now after Elden Ring and make a survival platform game!", they'll most likely get a message then from Sony/Tencent saying "No, you're making Elden Ring 2".

In the Elden Ring thread it was already speculated before release that it was highly likely that companies (most likely Sony) would proceed with buying up FromSoft stock based on the success of Elden Ring. Now that it turned out to be a home run with 16+ million sales, it's no wonder other companies also started buying like Tencent.

I hope this is true it just seems painfully naive unfortunately (not that you’re naive, painful for me to think about). Someone made the decision to do that and they’ll want/need to show a return on that investment. From doing what they’ve been doing would be a neutral so in steps so-and-so to say “no we did this expecting a 5% growth so you need to do MTX to meet our internal jacked up expectations and so I don’t look bad and get fired!” And then quality plummets and they get taken out behind the barn and shot and 10 years later we have a decent Souls-like from the former members of FromSoft and the cycle repeats.

And that is me being overly pessimistic.

Hopefully reality is somewhere in between at best.