General Gaming News and Discussion

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm guessing by the scenery... looks like it might be a return to Florida or basically Vice City.. Could even be Gulf Shores, but idk probably a mixture under the context of Vice.. but the giant hill could say otherwise, so i'd be surprised if it goes back to San Andreas. The diner looks pretty much like a waffle house lol.

It looks like a lot of the textures haven't been fully applied but the animations and mechanics definitely look "next gen." I'm not sure about the feeling on the controller, but I do recall like ads'ing and using the cover felt a bit more clunky than what is being shown.. it seems quite seemless in the dev kit.

Wafflehouse comparison

I know there were some rumors, at one point, that it might be a mixture of Texas - Houston/Austin and then the gulf areas of Galveston or Corpus. Idk, obviously a weird mixture, but I know there was some talk of their take on that part of Texas for a video game.

Seems like Florida would be more "appealing" for a GTA game, but who knows.

Edit: Yeah, it appears to be a fictional take on Miami.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The setting is Miami. They've used every setting in the series twice except Miami so it's due up.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I know there were some rumors, at one point, that it might be a mixture of Texas - Houston/Austin and then the gulf areas of Galveston or Corpus. Idk, obviously a weird mixture, but I know there was some talk of their take on that part of Texas for a video game.

Seems like Florida would be more "appealing" for a GTA game, but who knows.

Edit: Yeah, it appears to be a fictional take on Miami.
I could see that all kind of blending together tbqh. They're all kind of, more or less the same people... Just in a Guy Harvey shirt. You basically just take the redneck riveria and you have a mixture of texas and soflo(its actually where i'm from lol).. but yeah Waffle house triangle is pretty much from East Texas, Virginia, to Florida. So I wouldn't be surprised if some of that kinda.. personality.. bleeds into the fictional Miami setting. Its probably gonna be full of Florida tropes, tourist tropes, Cuban/Hispanic tropes and southern tropes. Including guns, mudding, hunting, ect. I don't think their scope will be any less tha GTA5..

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
PQZPPE1L.png_small.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's with game companies now announcing huge batches of games all at once?

Square-Enix did it a few months ago, Ubisoft just did it with AC, now the Yakuza studio has done it.

Are they emulating Marvel announcing a phase of movies all at once?

gauze

Molten Core Raider

Square-Enix did it a few months ago, Ubisoft just did it with AC, now the Yakuza studio has done it.

Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, EVO, Nintendo Direct.. and I think Sony's State of Play.. I want to say Ubisoft also had one? but its just that time of year.. Blizzcon is around this time, PAX, and so on until about Oct/Nov.. when the holiday bits start rolling around. Its pretty normal. E3 is pretty much dead, so everyone is kinda doing their own stage now.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, EVO, Nintendo Direct.. and I think Sony's State of Play.. I want to say Ubisoft also had one? but its just that time of year.. Blizzcon is around this time, PAX, and so on until about Oct/Nov.. when the holiday bits start rolling around. Its pretty normal. E3 is pretty much dead, so everyone is kinda doing their own stage now.

I just remember games being announced more one at a time before this year. Now it's 3+ announced together for the next several years like a Marvel press release.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I just remember games being announced more one at a time before this year. Now it's 3+ announced together for the next several years like a Marvel press release.
I mean for the last few E3's that existed, it was always a few announcements.. Generally like one main title that is way far down the line that everyone wants, then a bunch of titles no one relative would care to play.. some sleepers in between.. E3 was always like the "boxing" match between console and they would have a few titles to throw at each other.

You could be right that there is more given that everyone has an individual stage via streaming, but its the same shit.. 1 or 2 announce titles that are hype af.. then the rest are kinda yawn oh okay whatever, cool sounds awesome, on to the next ect. Even the Game Awards goes through announcement while inbetween giving awards for Best X.

spronk

FPS noob

the simple answer is acquisitions. Square Enix wants to get bought by Sony, they divested themselves of western devs (sold to Embracer Group) and want to announce a bunch of shit so Sony acts sooner than later.

Ubisoft is desperate to be acquired, their games are selling like shit now because people are tired of their mediocre crap so announcing a bunch of games in their minds entices a buyer to buy them now before the games are released. The flip side is once the games are out and sales are meh, their value goes down even more. Ubisoft has basically been publicly saying "SOMEONE BUY US" for like 2 years now, they are a massively bloated company plagued by sexual harassments issues just like Activision.

Yakuza no clue, probably just IP continuity. The Shogun game has been out in Japan for years (remastered already from PS3 to PS4), they basically just announced localization for the west. One game will show what happened to Kiryu during the events of Y7, and the last game continues the story of the Y7 prot and Kiryu. Kinda makes sense to announce the two together since they go together and one is late 2023 and the last is 2024.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I thought that Nintendo direct was supposed to be a Zelda blowout. When are the HD remakes coming out for switch?

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
So I thought that Nintendo direct was supposed to be a Zelda blowout. When are the HD remakes coming out for switch?

People have been theorizing Windwaker and Twilight Princess on switch of years now. With a mainline Zelda game coming out soon if these are coming out it wont be next year.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EA, Iron Man?

What are the chances it is a ruse use Anthem assets and systems to try and recoup some value from that sunk-cost nightmare?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I sure hope so. Everyone agrees the combat in that game was good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
EA, Iron Man?

What are the chances it is a ruse use Anthem assets and systems to try and recoup some value from that sunk-cost nightmare?
Well, from what I've heard, iron-manning around the map was Anthem's one shining point, so they may as well get some mileage out of it.

Hopefully they'll also be taking some notes from the Avengers game. For all that game's problems, the gameplay design of the individual characters was quite well done, especially Iron Man and Thor. I'd love to see an Avengers-style Iron Man in a game where the rest of the content could rise above mediocre.