General Gaming News and Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The gameplay was rough and janky as hell in the original, even by witcher standards. I'll def get it on sale though
Ill second this. Ive tried to get through it multiple times and.. I just cant. The combat and movement in Witcher 1 is just god fucking awful. Hell, I think its bad in Witcher 3 but its at least tolerable. If they open up, even if its the same tiny areas, a bit and let you move around... and add good movement and at least witcher 3 combat experience.. I'll pick it up. Just to be able to play it to completion for once instead of just saying fuck it and reading the story.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Ill second this. Ive tried to get through it multiple times and.. I just cant. The combat and movement in Witcher 1 is just god fucking awful. Hell, I think its bad in Witcher 3 but its at least tolerable. If they open up, even if its the same tiny areas, a bit and let you move around... and add good movement and at least witcher 3 combat experience.. I'll pick it up. Just to be able to play it to completion for once instead of just saying fuck it and reading the story.
I'm actually getting ready to run through them all again starting with 1. I recall a mod that changed combat to make it better that I need to dig out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
witcher 1 being remade in unreal engine 5 by CDPR

yeah, butwhy.gif ($$$, it'll be $70 lol)

the original is free on GOG

So the "new Witcher game" in development (that people thought would be a Witcher 4) turned out to be this Witcher 1 remake?

I'm okay with this. I liked Witcher 2 and 3 a lot. Wanted an excuse to do W1 at some point but not in its current state.

I also want to see more Unreal 5 games in general. I'm sure they'll fix the gameplay while they're at it too.

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
jeez, remakes and reboots is all they have these days. how far the industry has fallen.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
jeez, remakes and reboots is all they have these days. how far the industry has fallen.

Movies too, across the board, creativity has plummeted since its apex in the 80's and 90's. We were all exceedingly lucky to live through that era as media-fans. People born post-2001 really missed out.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
So the "new Witcher game" in development (that people thought would be a Witcher 4) turned out to be this Witcher 1 remake?

I'm okay with this. I liked Witcher 2 and 3 a lot. Wanted an excuse to do W1 at some point but not in its current state.

I also want to see more Unreal 5 games in general. I'm sure they'll fix the gameplay while they're at it too.

i didn't follow super closely but i think its both witcher 1 remake AND a new witcher trilogy, the former is 2023 while the latter is probably a few years out. Both unreal engine 5.

Daidraco

i didn't follow super closely but i think its both witcher 1 remake AND a new witcher trilogy, the former is 2023 while the latter is probably a few years out. Both unreal engine 5.
They've openly said that they are developing a witcher project and a new entry into the witcher series. So you're correct.

For some reason Im thinking the new entry is based around Ciri? But Ive also seen stuff that leads me to believes that its a brand new Witcher from a different clan. So Idk its premise, just that we'll have a new witcher game, "eventually."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A Ciri game would be interesting, at this point I know way more female Witcher fans than male Witcher fans.

(I could never get into this game the combat sucks.)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
A Ciri game would be interesting, at this point I know way more female Witcher fans than male Witcher fans.

I thought the same, then I stuck with it and everything else far outweighs the combat. The combat becomes "fine" to "solid" at times. The story, and questing, environments, maturity of the monster design is just top-notch. Legitimately, might be the best game I've ever played. I was late to the party, just played it last year.

• 1Like

Daidraco

I thought the same, then I stuck with it and everything else far outweighs the combat. The combat becomes "fine" to "solid" at times. The story, and questing, environments, maturity of the monster design is just top-notch. Legitimately, might be the best game I've ever played. I was late to the party, just played it last year.
The baron quest line did it for me. Sold me on the rest of the whole game. Shock, awe, sadness, the whole gambit of emotions from a quest you get in the first hour or two of the game. To know you inspired all those different emotions and more throughout the entire game would make me, if I was one of the many, many, developers on the project, really proud.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The baron quest line did it for me. Sold me on the rest of the whole game. Shock, awe, sadness, the whole gambit of emotions from a quest you get in the first hour or two of the game. To know you inspired all those different emotions and more throughout the entire game would make me, if I was one of the many, many, developers on the project, really proud.

This the first, or Witcher 3? I have 3 in my backlog, won’t play 1 until remaster

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

No you fucking don’t.

Maybe if they are as female as you.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There ARE a lot of female Witcher fans. Likely as a result of the Netflix show. Women tune in to see Cavill, stick around because it's just as much a Yennifer story and she's easy to empathize with (then vicariously live through). They expanded the fanbase with that show, no doubt.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This the first, or Witcher 3? I have 3 in my backlog, won’t play 1 until remaster

I'm in a similar boat. I never finished W3. Had a lot left...think I got maybe 9 hours in? And I might be way off on that guess.

I'll make a major effort to take out W3 in the lead-up to the W1 remake.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Pick one of the combat overhauls, whichever one looks interesting to you. Then pick fast travel. Any other mod is up to you, but I highly suggest the first two.

I love Witcher 3, but the amount of people that didnt finish the game was some huge figure (60-70% iirc.) compared to those that buy it. I left the game a handful of times myself before I just sat down and played it all the way through with mods. The one mod that listed out all the rewards that POI's have probably saved me the most amount of time (behind fast travel) so I wasnt spending thirty minutes traveling to, killing whatever, and traveling back, all for some basic ass crafting materials. Theres just a lot of shit thats distracting in Witcher 3, and anything you can do to limit those distractions by choice is a good thing imo.