General Gaming News and Discussion

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Damage is done. No one is going to trust them going forward. Pretty amazing free PR for other engines.
Yep. Pretty much the only thing that can save the Unity Engine is it being purchased by a totally different owner that guts a ton of the executive staff. It's probably not even worth saving given how good Unreal and Godot are.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Unity is dead at this point. Anyone that has any choice in the matter that still decides to develop in Unity gets what they deserve.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

semi rumor:
Under the tentative new plan, Unity will limit fees to 4% of a game’s revenue for customers making over $1 million and said that installations counted toward reaching the threshold won’t be retroactive, according to recording of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg. Last week, Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello delayed an all-hands meeting on the pricing changes and closed two offices after the company received what it said was a credible death threat.

One of the most controversial elements of the policy concerned how Unity would track installations of its software. Although the company first said it would use proprietary tools, Whitten said Monday management will rely on users to self-report the data.

Why they didn't just make it 4% of revenue past 1million and forgo any installation-based pricing scheme is a good question. The answer that makes the most sense is because they are committed to spyware.

Presuming developers wouldn't flee Unity, the difference in total revenue between the new plan and the previous plan is massive, so anyone should just presume the previous revenue is their target and they're going to slowly boil devs alive over the next few years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yep. Pretty much the only thing that can save the Unity Engine is it being purchased by a totally different owner that guts a ton of the executive staff. It's probably not even worth saving given how good Unreal and Godot are.

Me and my business partner had just started using Unity to start work on our game a little over a month ago.

We scrapped it, will be using Godot instead.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Have you thought about just using GameMaker? Godot is weird unless you've got someone really experienced with it.

I'm pretty sure that would be a hard no, but I'll loook at it. The attraction of Godot was having engine access itself, as well as coding it in C++.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

david-helgason-post-r471x.jpg

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
4% of revenue? What are margins like in the gaming industry? I couldn't find any good stats beyond most indie studios not making any money. I can easily imagine 4% of revenue being 50-100% of profits. That's still crazy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
4% of revenue? What are margins like in the gaming industry? I couldn't find any good stats beyond most indie studios not making any money. I can easily imagine 4% of revenue being 50-100% of profits. That's still crazy.
That's essentially Unreal Engine's terms, except 4% instead of 5%.