Generalized family drama

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And make sure it is secured with a third party. I have a cousin who’s dad was dying from cancer. He had his will (I guess, some kind of documents) in a small safe in the house. He was leaving their nice, paid in full house to my cousin. The town he lives in is very small, like 20-30 houses, and it’s almost all comprised of the dad’s family.His cousins, brothers, uncles, I think his parents were even still alive.

Anyways they’re pissed about the son getting the house, they want it sold and split between the siblings. At some point while these family members visiting they stole the safe with all the docs. It then had to go to the courts, my cousin ends up losing eventually and has to get evicted from his own house. He grew up their since he was like 8 years old and lived there his entire adulthood with his dad. Makes me fucking sick.

So, he did what any rational person would do, stripped the entire house. Of everything. Wires, pipes, doors, ripped drywall out, etc. They took possession of a bunch of 2x4s with a roof.
Truly scummy how family are when it comes to inheritance, experienced this with my grandfather.

So my grandfather outlived his then wife(not my grandmother) by 5-10 years. They had been living in the same house together for 15-20 years, but it was a house his wife already owned prior to their marriage. So because of that, his wife setup her estate to allow my grandfather to live in the house if she where to die before him but then the house would pass to her heirs once he dies. Legally speaking that made zero sense, as that asset would have been comingled to hell and back due to how long they both lived in together while married. I looked at the taxes and grandfather had been paying the property taxes on the thing since the mid 90s.

Anyways grandfather dies and so now its time to take care of all the paperwork. No one in my family had any idea of this setup until my sister went to go deal with his estate. For a year or so after his death the house just sits there as its in legal limbo and the reality is its a shitty old house that had a meth head living in it for 3-4 years prior to this so it was worthless and no reason to fight for it. Eventually we get a letter from a title company asking us to sign over our portion of the house, completely out of the blue with zero conversation from the title company or other family. I called the title company and they play confused and tell me this is what they thought me and my siblings wanted as part of some deal with the other family. I tell them no we have no interest in giving them our share of the property and thats it.

Some time later im on Zillow and out of curiosity I check out the property and see it says recently sold. It seems like after we said no to the first title company, the family went shopping for other title companies that would sign off on the title without our involvement. We never pursued anything as the house wasworth very little considering the amount of people involved to split whatever proceeds would come from a sale it just wasnt worth the hassle.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you think drama can get bad over a house, imagine a cattle ranch that is worth $7 million dollars but generates less than $50k a year in profits even on a good year and goes in the hole on bad ones and there's one kid who has been working 70 hours a week for 30 years and making less than minimum wage on the ranch and 2 or 3 others who have been pursuing their careers elsewhere and buying houses and building their 401Ks or whatnot (or they haven't but they had the opportunity to) and now grandpa is dead and they think the ranch should be divided equally and the one that stayed on the ranch should somehow buy the rest of them out.

• 1Wow!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Truly scummy how family are when it comes to inheritance, experienced this with my grandfather.

So my grandfather outlived his then wife(not my grandmother) by 5-10 years. They had been living in the same house together for 15-20 years, but it was a house his wife already owned prior to their marriage. So because of that, his wife setup her estate to allow my grandfather to live in the house if she where to die before him but then the house would pass to her heirs once he dies. Legally speaking that made zero sense, as that asset would have been comingled to hell and back due to how long they both lived in together while married. I looked at the taxes and grandfather had been paying the property taxes on the thing since the mid 90s.
An arrangement like this is not as atypical as you would imagine. I believe it is commonly referred to as a "Life Estate."

Paging Cad Cad for back up.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
this stuff sounds juicy and sounds like shit goes south fast when extended family gets involved

i only grew up w/ my mom/dad and 2 sisters, so idk what the fuck a cousin is.

what do you guys consider external/extended families and where does it start?

i've heard stories where ppl literally say a blood brother is dead to them and consider a cousin more deserving.

Have a very small family. Sister and I. My dad was an only kid, all moms family was very distant - she had a brother die in WWII before she was born. The cousin I mentioned was my the daughter of my grandmothers brother. Only child that lived on the same property. That's it for family.

The mineral rights I own were from property my great grandfather owned and they could never located an heir so eventually I bought the other half from my dads cousin because she had no clue what it was worth. Never happen today. He retired from Dow Chemical on TX coast as a custodian partially disabled from WWI and bought a farm in retirement. Think about that for a few.

No my sister who knows. She married a coon ass that has 12 brothers and sisters. Family name dies with me.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
An arrangement like this is not as atypical as you would imagine. I believe it is commonly referred to as a "Life Estate."

Yeah reading through everything that was the legal basis for what they did, but it was a home they had been living in for quite some time before his wife died. It was an asset that in reality had been comingled significantly and Im pretty sure thats what the first title company realized.

Borzak

Reason most farms now are now owned by corporations. Someone dies and the land gets broke up to kids and so on and so on every generation and they have to sell to pay the tax and many of them don't want to dick with farm life and they get a fraction of whatever. Just sell it.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah reading through everything that was the legal basis for what they did, but it was a home they had been living in for quite some time before his wife died. It was an asset that in reality had been comingled significantly and Im pretty sure thats what the first title company realized.
Not if they filed a Quit Claim Deed and titled it as hers and hers alone.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Not if they filed a Quit Claim Deed and titled it as hers and hers alone.
I dont recall that being the case, it was always titled in her name alone as she owned it herself before they married.

The house was certainly her sole separate property going into marriage and her will reflected that, but the point of contention was that after 15 years or so of living in it with my grandfather with my grandfather contributing to its upkeep/maintenance over those 15 years it was no longer her sole and separate property when she died. It was then a comingled asset. Id guess thats the conclusion the first title company came to.

We never pursued it as financially it was not worth even if we "won". The house was worth less than 100k after fixing it up and that would have been split god knows how many ways.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My parents were pennywise and pound dumb. My father especially. While they successfully ran businesses they were generally terrible at saving money. My dad would bitch about paying $30 but then pay $50k on some shit he could have got for far cheaper because he wanted the nicer one (of whatever).

Both of my parents were effectively only children as their siblings passed away back in the 70s. My grandma on my mom's side passed away in 2008 or something and they squandered all of that money (probably around $1.5M) before 2015. No clue what they spent it on honestly. I didn't ask and don't give a shit. Fast forward to 2018 when my grandma on my father's side passes away giving him access to my grandfather's full inheritance as it was all left directly to him and him alone. My grandfather was a successful attorney and over his life accumulated an estate of $15M or somewhere around there. My dad spent a ton of money on insane shit. Just retarded. Total renovations on a property he didn't live in and hasn't sold yet that probably cost at least $700k. Shit like that.

My father passed away recently and now this all goes to my mom and my mom alone. I keep myself pretty separated from this drama as I legitimately don't give a shit and don't want to be involved in any way whatsoever. If my sisters (I have 3) are fighting with her about I don't want to know. I am the only one that doesn't live in the area with them. My mom knows I am good with money so peppers me with questions about this or that. She has so far paid off the debt of my oldest and youngest sister and I am not really sure what else.

She probably has a solid 20 years left in her. I am hoping she doesn't blow the rest of it on fuck knows what. I do not think my sisters have it in them to be manipulative and just extract money from her as they haven't yet. But who knows what will happen down the road. Not looking forward to it, as she's already made me the power of attorney on her finances if she loses capacity for whatever reason.

Mom is already talking about a bunch of renovations to my grandparents house, which is where she now lives. I think its pointless but whatever. That house is in a good condition but she wants the entire kitchen redone, a room wall collapsed and who the fuck knows what else. All because she "never liked it how it was" for the past 50 years.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well I won’t have to worry about this stuff. All my grandparents are gone and died penniless as will my wife parents and my parents. We inherited a shotgun from her dad when he died, that’s probably all we will get from anyone.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well I won’t have to worry about this stuff. All my grandparents are gone and died penniless as will my wife parents and my parents. We inherited a shotgun from her dad when he died, that’s probably all we will get from anyone.
Speaking of family squandering shit away, supposedly my great great great grandparents owned a ton a land in Southern California like hundreds of acres and their kids somehow managed to lose it all. I grew up lower middle class, my Dad installed carpet on the weekends to give us a little extra cash. Had they not squandered it, I probably never would have been born as my Mom and Dad never would have met, but it still irks me a bit.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of family squandering shit away, supposedly my great great great grandparents owned a ton a land in Southern California like hundreds of acres and their kids somehow managed to lose it all. I grew up lower middle class, my Dad installed carpet on the weekends to give us a little extra cash. Had they not squandered it, I probably never would have been born as my Mom and Dad never would have met, but it still irks me a bit.
My dad irks me and not because I want to inherit anything, he’s just made so many stupid decisions. Like I doubt he’ll ever be able to retire. Bought houses or cars he couldn’t really afford. Cashed out his 401k a couple times. Has moved dozens of times, buying new furniture then giving it away when he moves. Sold a house once then after the sale he put his own money into putting new windows into it because it wasn’t energy efficient. I was like wtf WHY they bought it this way let them buy their own fucking windows, you don’t even know them. My mom has spent her life not working, working low end jobs, spends it on cigarettes and weed and just, junk from garage sales. Just sad.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
When parents die a lot of people are the age where they're realizing that they should have been saving for retirement all of their lives and now they're 62 and have $1200 in their savings account and they're shitting their pants. Mom's house starts to sound like a nice solution at that point but holy shit does it get ugly sometimes.
Cousins on one side of the family are screwed when their parents die. Their parents have good retirement, but they spend every dime that comes in. Two mortgaged houses that are no where near paid off with 2nd mortgages no doubt. Driveway full of new cars not paid off. All the cousins are just as bad as their parents with money. Cousin my age lives in her parents other house and has 0 equity built up anywhere.

I bet these people think debts die with the debtor. They are going to be rudely awakened. Those mortgages will have to be assumed and the cars paid off or it all goes poof in the night. I have no doubt my aunt has a stunning amount of credit card debt because she spends a wild amount of money. If I had to guess, their estate will be worth almost nothing when the dust settles.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

You can do it as a life estate or you can put it in a trust that passes to the kids on the husband's death, but the kids own it and the rules of the trust won't allow the husband to sell it or encumber it.

There's a lot of ways to accomplish this, it's not atypical, but for 99% of people the assets aren't worth the trouble.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I know that feel.

My grandfather was getting a little over $3000 a month between ss/disability/pension for the last decade of his life. Which ideally meant he should have died with a bit of money in the bank as he had zero debt and really only should have been spending money on the essentials due to his condition. He died with just over $1000 in his bank account though because my dad used him as an atm as well as the meth head my dad set my grandfather up with when my father was disowned in a moment of lucid thought by my grandfather.

Borzak

I don't know if it's this way everywhere. I will assume it is. "Land men" in TX which is code word for crook. They read the local obituaries, look up and contact all the survivor family members and offer them squat and tell them what a good deal it is and how they will save the hassle of a real estate agent as well. Same goes for mineral rights. Then they flip the property for a fair price, or sell the timber which more than pays off the property cost and then will replant and/or just keep the property for later and accumulate more and more of it. They will do this if one person dies and has a wife just the same. Happens all day every day. Relatives who live out of town probably have no idea what the property is worth and are glad it's worth "anything"

Joe Blow that hadn't seen his parents or grandparents in decades suddenly gets an offer of cash on property they probably didn't know they own and will take it. Many times in an effort to do it before anyone else in the family hears about it to keep it a "secret" of how they made off better than everyone else. Also the "land men" will often give hints/tips on how soandso can coax their other relatives to sell off to Joe Blow for pennies on the dollar to speed things up. Gotta get in line first to get a better deal and beat those evil taxes and shit. All the time. It's a lucrative living for an entire industry.

I still get calls about land I've already sold and about mineral rights I've already leased out. They all take the same tact, about how lucky I am they got their first before some of their counterparts and get ahead of taxes and shit. My sister would do this. Luckily she gives out my number when/if someone calls. When my grandmother died they read the obituary that I wrote and google the names. The only one that comes up is my sister because of her business. They called her and she referred them to me. That call lasted 15 seconds. They do this before they spend 30 seconds at the apparaisal district to see whose name the property is even in (mine and not my grandmothers).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Goatface

question for anyone.
would you play $1000 to bury (cremate) a relative, while not a good person, never did anything personally to you, or let them have a pauper's burial?

Borzak

I have no problem leaving someone at the morgue unclaimed if I don't care for them or they did something in an effort to screw me. I wish you could get a cremation here for $1,000. Most of the cost is in transportation.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
question for anyone.
would you play $1000 to bury (cremate) a relative, while not a good person, never did anything personally to you, or let them have a pauper's burial?
Cremate and then find out what place on earth they hated the most...

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
question for anyone.

Beyond the fact that they're dead and are in no position to care, I already don't provide burial services for thousands of good people who die every day. Ceremony and common DNA are for the living. If you care, do it. If not...