Get a free Kyle Rittenhouse at Culver's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So the defense is not going to ask for a directed verdict? A non-appealable (as far as I understood for Wisconsin) chance at not guilty?

Seems fucking stupid.
i heard ppl say you can ask for this at any time? so even near the conclusion of the trial?

Cad Cad Butthurt Butthurt ???

cuz the judge most likely wont give it anyway

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Everybody including the judge knows why they wanted that video. It was to intimidate the jurors. I don't know why he went so light on the person.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Everybody including the judge knows why they wanted that video. It was to intimidate the jurors. I don't know why he went so light on the person.

And, unless the person was "New" to this, that video likely still exists...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
they know the judge is too weak to do a directed verdict. so wont ask

too many eyes on the case. him going easy on juror bullying and intimidation is an example of how weak he is.

• 2Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
i heard ppl say you can ask for this at any time? so even near the conclusion of the trial?

The defense should ask for the directed verdict as soon as the state rests. Its essentially saying as a matter of law, the state failed to put on evidence of at least one of the elements of the crime, so the case cant go to the jury. You can only ask for it, once the opposing party makes a representation that its done putting on evidence.

its a little more complicated than that when there is a justification like self defense at play, because there’s a couple more elements at work, but if the state cant overcome the justification, then a DV is appropriate.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

You typically ask for it when the plaintiff/prosecution rests because that is all of their evidence. The defense may have additional evidence regarding self defense, but the idea of the directed verdict is that if the Plaintiff hasn't carried their burden of proof on an element of the crime/cause of action, then the judge can find as a matter of law that that crime/cause of action cannot be established.

There's no harm in asking for it even if you know 100% the judge will deny it, because what if they don't? The jury doesn't hear it so it's just a free shot at winning.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Let me guess, these swinging dick prosecutors in no way demonstrated that charge.

They didn't even attempt to demonstrate it making it clear that he was overcharged.

I can't believe we have gotten to a point that kitchen sink charging is just normal, acceptable, and the prosecution faces no consequences for it.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kind of surprised, that was about the easiest thing in the world to prove isn't it? Were you out after curfew? Yay/nay

Though, they might also then have to charge all the witnesses and such with it to.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Kind of surprised, that was about the easiest thing in the world to prove isn't it? Were you out after curfew? Yay/nay

Though, they might also then have to charge all the witnesses and such with it to.

Apparently there was a ruling subsequent to the incident that declared the curfew restrictions unenforceable or something to that effect.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
overdoing it

lot of bumbling questioning and dead-end testimony. seems they weren't well prepared for these last 2 witnesses. the bumbling is bad optics especially since the state rested.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We find a place white people can drop hard Rs with impunity. Court rooms, the nword pass of white people.

Status
Not open for further replies.