Ghostbusters (2016)

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Basically from what I read, it's going to be an MCU, but with Ghostbusters.

'Male' Ghostbuters Movie, Cinematic Universe on the Way
Channing Tatum, Winter Soldier Directors Joe and Anthony Russo Plan ??oMale??? Ghostbusters Film - IGN
They should bring it into the MCU by having Tony Stark upgrade the Ghost Busters' equipment. Instead of using Proton Packs they can fire streams out of their gauntlet-clad hands. Then Spiderman can show up in the post credits scene and make a joke about shooting streams out of the hands is his thing. Whole theater will LOL, fade to black, collect $$$.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I love when people demand we need the old ghostbusters to be in it. The only two that mattered were Murray and Raimis. Akroyd was filler and Hudson was affirmative action. I guess they're saying Channing Tatum and Christ Pratt for the other GB now. Personally I'd watch Feigs or Russo's. Hopefully at least one is R though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Winston was the working guy looking for a day job that turned out to be awesome. Far more realistic back then than hipster high schooler would be today.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
back in the 80s winston was never seen as part of the team, just the token black guy. Raimis did not intend this. winston's character was well written with some good lines. when you thought of ghostbusters it was just murray, akroyd and raimis. they were the founders and winston came later.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Come on Chuk, Winston was part of the team, even if he was the token black guy back then. He had some of the best lines in the film.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Come on Chuk, Winston was part of the team, even if he was the token black guy back then. He had some of the best lines in the film.

yep, but having been a teen at the time and my friends and i being all into ghostbusters, nobody ever talked about winston, maybe we were a bunch of racist white kids, but winston was just not thought about as a team member. i am sure i am not the only one. when ghostbusters came out on video, the movie was in full screen instead of full 16 by 9 ratio. so they had a feature called "pan the scan" to show the important stuff in the frame but not including the non important. when all 4 ghostbusters are standing together, take a guess who was not included in the frame? also the ghostbusters video games did not always include winston.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasnt he always butt hurt about Ghostbusters because he wasnt in it enough? Or his character was poorly written?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to agree with Chuk, at the time they came out, Winston was just sort of an afterthought whenever we talked about the movies. Even though objectively he's pretty awesome.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Hopefully the third one will mix both. Imagine a Chris Pratt character teaming up with a Melissa McCarthy character. That'd be pretty great.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have to agree with Chuk, at the time they came out, Winston was just sort of an afterthought whenever we talked about the movies. Even though objectively he's pretty awesome.
i never saw anyone badmouth winston, he just sort of got overlooked. it could be his color, or that he wasnt there from the beginning. i think it was because ernie hudson is not a comedic actor and we didnt know him from SNL or SCTV or any other funny movie so he didnt fit in with the other guys who are all popular tv/movie comedians.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's really a downer story. I didn't know that the script he originally auditioned for was changed so much. Ghostbusters 2 was even worse. Winston did about zero in that one. I think part of why I regard the character as I do is because of the years as a kid I spent watching The Real Ghostbusters cartoon as a kid in between the first and second films. Winston was as much of a fully fleshed out character as anyone else on the cast.

Speaking of Ghostbusters 2, I saw that in the theater when I was nine. I didn't have the language or experience to put my feelings into words but even at nine I knew it wasn't very good even from the start. They are doing a kid's birthday party? They don't bust ghosts anymore? I don't get it. It was like this huge setback after the entire first film was about them getting rolling. I also remember thinking how much worse than the cartoon it was. Which it was.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
i never saw anyone badmouth winston, he just sort of got overlooked. it could be his color, or that he wasnt there from the beginning. i think it was because ernie hudson is not a comedic actor and we didnt know him from SNL or SCTV or any other funny movie so he didnt fit in with the other guys who are all popular tv/movie comedians.
For me as a kid it was because the other 3 formed the group and they just sort of hired Winston. He never felt like a member of the core group which as an adult is fairly silly but that's how it came across.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's not silly, that's what we were presented with. The other three were all scientists and true believers. Winston was awesome but he as he was written, he was just there to get paid. He is an essential part of the group, as he's the everyman, he's the foil to the rest of the teams outlandish thinking. He's the straight man. But because of all that he comes across as not REALLY being a full fledged teammate. He comes across as almost an extra with speaking lines.