Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park
Just fuck all these decade late sequels. They're just trying to infect everything that had even passing quality.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Could be worse. Could be an all female cast.
Ah like "thank God my house burned down instead of being hit by a meteor, the insurance company won't have to regrade the property as much". Gotcha.

• 3Worf
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just fuck all these decade late sequels. They're just trying to infect everything that had even passing quality.

Would you rather sequels that shit all over the originals like The Last Jedi. Or reboot the franchise into an abortion like the 2016 Ghostbusters. Or sequels that are made by film-makers with respect and reverence to the originals like Cobra Kai?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Would you rather sequels that shit all over the originals like The Last Jedi. Or reboot the franchise into an abortion like the 2016 Ghostbusters. Or sequels that are made by film-makers with respect and reverence to the originals like Cobra Kai?
That's a false trichotomy. Rather none.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That's a false trichotomy. Rather none.

What if there's a genuine story to be told? Lucas had a sequel trilogy in mind, clearly there was room to explore post rotk. Disney just decided to ditch his ideas, and based on prequels a Lucas sequel trilogy would still be disappointing.

He decided to cash out and clearly the franchise had significant creative and financial potential.

If a Disney sequel trilogy was made in the manner of Cobra Kai (I don't think ck is perfect, didn't finish the last series, relies to heavily on cameos and is much wackier then the originals but the makers clearly respect the originals) would you be ok with that?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What if there's a genuine story to be told? Lucas had a sequel trilogy in mind, clearly there was room to explore post rotk. Disney just decided to ditch his ideas, and based on prequels a Lucas sequel trilogy would still be disappointing.

He decided to cash out and clearly the franchise had significant creative and financial potential.

If a Disney sequel trilogy was made in the manner of Cobra Kai (I don't think ck is perfect, didn't finish the last series, relies to heavily on cameos and is much wackier then the originals but the makers clearly respect the originals) would you be ok with that?
No. I don't believe art should be franchised. Come up with a new story.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If there's good stories to be told, who cares if it happens in an existing universe? I don't think things being in a franchise, by itself, is the problem, especially in such an expansive setting like SW. It's just the wrong people in on charge making decisions that aren't about making a great story or experience.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I dunno about that. The last one was pretty decent, honestly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What if that story is Warhammer 40K?
The problem isn't the story or setting or whatever, it's that these sequels are literally just trash copies. They don't develop anything about the characters or setting, same actors, everything is continued just they're woke now.

I don't have a problem with stuff like the Batman movies when they come along and remake everything and just take inspiration from source material. Now a lot of remakes suck as well.

This is different, because it's a continuation often purposefully debasing the original work. Same thing had they remade Star Wars completely, it would just be ignorable like you watch the Bale Batmans but not the more recent ones or whatever.

DickTrickle

The problem isn't the story or setting or whatever, it's that these sequels are literally just trash copies. They don't develop anything about the characters or setting, same actors, everything is continued just they're woke now.

I don't have a problem with stuff like the Batman movies when they come along and remake everything and just take inspiration from source material. Now a lot of remakes suck as well.

This is different, because it's a continuation often purposefully debasing the original work. Same thing had they remade Star Wars completely, it would just be ignorable like you watch the Bale Batmans but not the more recent ones or whatever.
How did Afterlife debase the original?

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

Finnwolfard GIF by Ghostbusters

DickTrickle

What is Afterlife? I don't know what series that is off the top of my head.
It's the previous Ghostbusters film. The movie this thread's film is a sequel to.

So, you're doing this diatribe in the Ghostbusters thread and haven't seen it? Par for the course, I guess.

If anything, Afterlife was too reverential to the originals, but it was still clearly full of love and care. Pretty far from debasement, in my mind. I mean, for fuck's sake, it was directed by Ivan Reitman's son.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users