Girls who broke your heart thread

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I considered the fact she was 18 and maybe party phase or whatever, but 7 years, come on, think she"d have bailed way sooner if it was matter of being 18 and party phase etc. I"m not even sure how someone after 7 years can just up and walk out on somebody, you think they"d be your everything everyday all day and you"d want to give them a good chance at making things work, how can you just hide shit like that and bail? I would be questioning her a lot.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it definitely doesn"t excuse how she"s handling the situation, but I"m gonna go out on a limb that being that young when they first got together is part of it.

7 years and you haven"t popped the question! Maybe her BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS TICKING!!!

71650-004-D9E5BBF6.jpg

71650-004-D9E5BBF6.jpg

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Mcpickle Deluxe said:
7 years and you haven"t popped the question! Maybe her BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS TICKING!!!
It"s possible. My wife has a friend at work (Natalie), who up until sept 1st was with a dude for 7ish years as well. He refused to marry her, for whatever reason. I dunno, I actually thought the guy was pretty cool, but he always struck me as hiding something. He was over the top affectionate in public, but you could see that wasn"t his true personality. I didn"t spend enough time with him to figure out what was really going on, but yeah, it hit Natalie like a truck of bricks too when Jeff came home, was laying in bed and said "oh, by the way, I cheated on you this weekend."

I dunno what the hell makes people flip the switch like that. I can almost certainly say it"s not a "Well, she was 18, you were 21, it was doomed to fail." Fucking bullshit, that"s a cop out answer. That shit happens at all ages, and after all amounts of time. My parents almost split after 25 years, until my mom decided to look the other way on some shit. Long story, not gonna go into it here.

My guess, if she"s not crazy, is that she needed something that you weren"t providing. Whether you were emotionally distant, or couldn"t man up and give her a ring, or whatever, that"s probably the case. She"s probably been trying to talk to you about it for several months now too, but you"ve likely been too tied up with work/friends/gaming/whatever you tie yourself up with in, either that, or you just dismissed it outright and never thought anything else of it, while she did. At this point, the best course of action is to lay low and let her call the shots. Getting needy and calling her 150 times a day isn"t going to help your situation. If you"re lucky, in a week, she"ll realize what a huge mistake she made and come back and you can sort everything out. If you"re unlucky, well, I reckon you got some furniture shopping to do, and you get to fuck the chicks you"ve been wanting to for the last 7 years.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I don"t know why this thread has decided the "party phase" is the ultimate trump to everything. It"s a cop out and if you handle your girl correctly you can circumvent this. Not to mention not every girl has this massive desire to be a bar dancing skank latent inside of her. It"s very amateur advice you need to look at your own actions for what drove her to do what she does.

Brad2770

I have come to the conclusion that the Party Phase is just a woman"s way of coping with the loss. Just because she left, it doesnt mean she still isnt hurting.

One of my final conversations with my ex was both of us pointing the blame. She told me that had I been her friend, had I paid attention to her... Had I been there for her, she would have never fallen out of love with me. She said I only wanted to "fix" things after the dmg had been completely done.

I never saw what I was doing wrong until after my divorce. Im guessing you probably wont either (your separation). Sorry to hear that you are going through this. It"s a harsh life lesson.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Tenks said:
Yeah I don"t know why this thread has decided the "party phase" is the ultimate trump to everything. It"s a cop out and if you handle your girl correctly you can circumvent this. Not to mention not every girl has this massive desire to be a bar dancing skank latent inside of her. It"s very amateur advice you need to look at your own actions for what drove her to do what she does.
This....to an extent.

I was with my ex wife for 8 years, from her being 18 to 26 and she hit her party phase she missed out on. Granted I wasn"t all I should have been either, but that in no way justified her affair/drunkenness and all out slutty/bitch behavior. Like I said, I was no where near in the right for many things, but it sure wasn"t enough to push her to rip her family apart, fuck other people and become the person she is now (still a train wreck) without so much as hinting there was a problem before hand.

I agree though, he needs to take a LONG hard look at his own actions for the past few years and see where he went wrong as well, it"s never just one persons fault...but again, I would liek more info before I pass judgment on anything or anyone.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I know my party phase right now is to cope with my loss, I"ve never had the desire to make sure I get oblierated thursday, friday, saturday and sunday. When I was with my ex I"d get buzzed etc and be happy with that, now its balls to the wall.. makes sense though

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I"ve actually always avoided heavy alcohol consumption in the immediate aftermath of a relationship. Because that shit just ends up leading either to me crying to a friend about how sad I am, an STD from a random, or a kid I didn"t know about a couple years down the road. None of which are very good options. I"ve always hated those jackasses that every time they get drunk, end up whining about how hard their life is. I"m the opposite. I like strobing on mushrooms, reflecting on how minor that last girl was in the grand scheme of things and how awesome my life is.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I never said anything about party phase related to them getting together at 18.

It"s the same concern I have right now with my 23 yr old sister being engaged. She"s been with her fiancee for 4ish years, but he"s the only guy she"s ever dated. I"m not worried about her still needing her party phase, I"m worried about her still needing to figure out what she wants, and until you date more than one person most people do not know what that is. Some times they will stay with what they know because its comfortable, and they are afraid of being alone.

This sounds more like that, 18 to 25 is a huge change in maturity, wants, needs, priorities.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Eomer said:
I"ve actually always avoided heavy alcohol consumption in the immediate aftermath of a relationship. Because that shit just ends up leading either to me crying to a friend about how sad I am, an STD from a random, or a kid I didn"t know about a couple years down the road. None of which are very good options. I"ve always hated those jackasses that every time they get drunk, end up whining about how hard their life is. I"m the opposite. I like strobing on mushrooms, reflecting on how minor that last girl was in the grand scheme of things and how awesome my life is.
Well I agree, but I"m very good at keeping those feelings in, ontop of being on pot and oc"s. My friend did that the other week, just like broke down crying in the back seat, I was like fuck, glad I never let myself do that. I look at it as theres two points in your drinking phase, theres the buzzed/fuck that bitch point then theres the point where you"re totally smashed and youre like fuck my life I want her back, I"ve learned to not drink into that second point :p

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
First, drinking yourself into a coma is a terrible way to "get over" an ex. If you"re still upset about it, you really shouldn"t be drinking at all. It masks the unhappiness with a substance. That leads to a habit. You know when moms give their kids ice cream and snacks when they had a bad day to cheer them up, then they immediately turn to food as adults as a result and get fat? Same thing with booze.

Self-medicating with substances is a good way to not move on with your life and develop a drinking problem.

brekk said:
I never said anything about party phase related to them getting together at 18.

It"s the same concern I have right now with my 23 yr old sister being engaged. She"s been with her fiancee for 4ish years, but he"s the only guy she"s ever dated. I"m not worried about her still needing her party phase, I"m worried about her still needing to figure out what she wants, and until you date more than one person most people do not know what that is. Some times they will stay with what they know because its comfortable, and they are afraid of being alone.

This sounds more like that, 18 to 25 is a huge change in maturity, wants, needs, priorities.
Brekk is more on target. There may be a "party phase" for some people, but it"s being talked about like it"s a necessary part of development: infancy, potty training, adolescence, getting totally ripped every night, marriage, children...

The issue is that she was 18 when they started dating, and now she"s 25. She didn"t necessarily miss out of "party phase," she missed out on "being young and free" phase. No matter how good a relationship is, it is restrictive. Just like a job or kids are restrictive. You can"t up and go to Africa for no reason tomorrow if you are in a long term relationship. And, like it or not, you miss out on some experiences by being in a long term relationship. You get comfortable, you"re not motivated to go out this Friday night quite as much, you aren"t motivated to meet other people quite as much. And when you go from 18-25 in one long term relationship, I can totally see wanting to break all your ties and face the uncertainties of life. It"s exciting.

It"s shitty for The Muse for sure. But I kinda empathize with the chick in this case. I"m probably a bit biased because I"m sorta like that, I have broken ties with people to go off and do my own things. It"s not that things are bad and you have to change it. But when you look at your life now, and what your future life will be, sometimes it"s not that appealing or exciting. OK, I have this girlfriend of x years, and this career path...in 10 years we"ll be married, I"ll be in y position at my job and we"ll have 2 kids. Doesn"t sound so bad, but when you"re young, that can sound REALLY boring. Yea, I want that eventually, but do I really want to cut out all other possibilities right now for that? No, I have al the time in the world to start a family and a career. There"s so many different things to experience on my own, and I want to do that right now. That has been my thought process in the past, and I"d guess in this case hers as well.

Just be happy she maybe had the foresight to see it now instead of at age 40 when you are married with 3 kids and she goes off and fucks an outlaw biker.

The Muze_foh

shitlord
A small update. I"m at my parents tonight and at a friends for the weekend. I walked back in to the apartment and had a breakdown. It was too much to see our place like that. I grabbed what I needed and couldn"t stay a second longer.

I have heard some evidence that her friends geared her to do things in the way she did. I totally believe it because it is not really something she would do without approval and help. One friend is moving back to her mom"s and the other has issues and is a very in your face person who is always quick to act in her own life and is very bossy. I"m not going to say they pioneered literally everything, but really it really felt that she was partly along for the ride.

I have resisted the urge to call her. I have a lot of things I want to tell her. I actually called her once because I couldn"t find my work phone and she didn"t answer. I texted and she responded. My optimism is fluctuating. I"m going to hold out as long as I can and give her space.

Ultimately I want to suggest things like couples therapy which is something neither of us ever considered before. It will be really easy to tell if she is in to it by showing her I care enough to make changes and do something official. If she doesn"t want anything to do with it then I"ll get a little more closure on where she is at.

Her parents live literally 5min away (she moved back home). We have all the same friends so we are going to interact at some point one way or the other. I"ll update when that happens.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Muze said:
She is in a weird spot where she is in huge debt, having trouble staying motivated for work or school. That combined with the daily grind and falling in to a repetative routine was enough for her to pull the trigger.
Sounds like she might have been depressed for a while now.
Happy people don"t need any motivation to wake up to go to work and school. It"s honestly sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Her ending the relationship sounds like a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

Chances are, this change may make her happy for a while, but ultimately you can"t find happiness from external sources, debt is a symptom of trying to find happiness from an external source (buying stuff you can"t afford). If that"s what she"s trying to do in her relationship as well it"s going to end badly.

Sounds like you may be hurting now.... she may be hurting for the next 5 years.

If she"s been together with you since she was 18, it"s very well possible that she WAS deriving all of her pleasure in life living with you. If she doesn"t figure out what makes "her" happy - alone - as a person, she can"t figure out what"ll make herself happy in a relationship.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The Muze said:
I have heard some evidence that her friends geared her to do things in the way she did. I totally believe it because it is not really something she would do without approval and help. One friend is moving back to her mom"s and the other has issues and is a very in your face person who is always quick to act in her own life and is very bossy. I"m not going to say they pioneered literally everything, but really it really felt that she was partly along for the ride.
You uhh, whoop her ass or something? You control her life?

People who have their friends/parents engineer breakups are in a bad situation and those people are helping them get out of it. You said her family and friends were ready to move her out right then and there. That"s a sign that what she tells them is that the relationship is shit, and has been for awhile. What she tells you is irrelevant. What she tells her friends/family is that she can"t tolerate being in the relationship anymore, but doesn"t have the strength to get out of it herself. Ergo, they swoop in, pick her up and fly her away to help her make the break.

I dunno man, something"s not stirring the kool-aid with your responses here. Might be time for some reflection. What lead up to this point? And you"ve gotta answer that honestly. If "normal things" mean you getting drunk and kicking the crap out of her, then you can"t just say "oh, just normal things." Same if you spend 19 hours a day playing WoW, or work 3 jobs and are never home.

I can almost guarantee that she feels she"s in a bad situation right now, and can"t talk to you about it. Some part of her still loves you, but she knows she can"t solve the situation herself. She turned to her friends, they told her to get the fuck outta dodge, and now here you are. This isn"t gonna be an overnight fix. This has been brewing for a LONG time. You don"t need to tell us what caused it, but you"ve gotta take a good hard look in the mirror, because when you do, I guarantee you"ll figure out why this happened.

At that point, you"ve gotta decide whether or not it"s worth changing for this girl. It might actually be too late, depending on how willing she is to give you another chance, but it"s something to remember for down the line in the next relationship for sure.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
The Muze said:

Her parents live literally 5min away (she moved back home). We have all the same friends so we are going to interact at some point one way or the other. I"ll update when that happens.
Her friends don"t sound like people I"d want around me. Just saying. So if you have the same friends, kill two birds with one stone and get some new, non-retarded friends.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I"m posting this mostly for entertainment/venting purposes, and maybe some feedback if it turns out everyone says I"m insane. I got into sorta a fight today with my girlfriend over something pretty trivial. I mentioned before she was apprehensive about me seeing her apartment. At one point, and this was a couple months ago, I was quite confused about it, and she said "ok, Oct 31 we will go to my apartment." It seemed kinda silly to set a date, and I didn"t know why, but I said ok.

To cut out irrelevant details, I was patient and never made a big deal about it, but obviously it"s a big deal to her. Why? No effing clue. Well it"s mid-November now and the situation has never come up where I have wanted or needed to go to her apartment until today, so I never cared.

Well today a situation came up where going to her apartment was the best option, by far. But, she resisted strongly. I pointed out that she had said that after Halloween she wouldn"t care anymore about me seeing it. Well she ignored this point and just said "next time, next time, etc." At this point, it bothered me because she was SO strongly against it but never offered any reason, in addition to going back on her word. Well, that"s bullshit to me. When we"ve been dating seriously for 3 months, you don"t get to do the "I want to do whatever is comfortable for me and not have to give any explanations" bullshit anymore. If she had given an explanation, almost any, I woulda dropped it. But she kept saying "no reason," and when I pointed out that *of course* she had a reason or else she wouldn"t resist so hard, she made up some other excuse. Well obviously there is a reason, and by making up excuses, and trying to pass them off as the real reason, she is flat out lying to me. So at this point it wasn"t about the apartment, it was about her trying to bullshit me. So I got pissed off and pushed it further, she locked up and stopped talking altogether, so I said ok if you don"t wanna go to my apt (it"s far) and we can"t go to yours for no reason, and you have no other suggestion and aren"t even talking, I"m going home. She was noticeably upset when I left.

Maybe I"m totally insane. But when we"re in a serious relationship you don"t get to just do whatever is comfortable and never explain your behavior. I can deal with that at the beginning, she wants to make a good impression and isn"t totally comfortable with me, I understand. But once we"re dating seriously, that shit has to go, asap. That"s perhaps my biggest pet peeve with women in general. They all do that shit.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dabamf said:
I"m posting this mostly for entertainment/venting purposes, and maybe some feedback if it turns out everyone says I"m insane. I got into sorta a fight today with my girlfriend over something pretty trivial. I mentioned before she was apprehensive about me seeing her apartment. At one point, and this was a couple months ago, I was quite confused about it, and she said "ok, Oct 31 we will go to my apartment." It seemed kinda silly to set a date, and I didn"t know why, but I said ok.

To cut out irrelevant details, I was patient and never made a big deal about it, but obviously it"s a big deal to her. Why? No effing clue. Well it"s mid-November now and the situation has never come up where I have wanted or needed to go to her apartment until today, so I never cared.

Well today a situation came up where going to her apartment was the best option, by far. But, she resisted strongly. I pointed out that she had said that after Halloween she wouldn"t care anymore about me seeing it. Well she ignored this point and just said "next time, next time, etc." At this point, it bothered me because she was SO strongly against it but never offered any reason, in addition to going back on her word. Well, that"s bullshit to me. When we"ve been dating seriously for 3 months, you don"t get to do the "I want to do whatever is comfortable for me and not have to give any explanations" bullshit anymore. If she had given an explanation, almost any, I woulda dropped it. But she kept saying "no reason," and when I pointed out that *of course* she had a reason or else she wouldn"t resist so hard, she made up some other excuse. Well obviously there is a reason, and by making up excuses, and trying to pass them off as the real reason, she is flat out lying to me. So at this point it wasn"t about the apartment, it was about her trying to bullshit me. So I got pissed off and pushed it further, she locked up and stopped talking altogether, so I said ok if you don"t wanna go to my apt (it"s far) and we can"t go to yours for no reason, and you have no other suggestion and aren"t even talking, I"m going home. She was noticeably upset when I left.

Maybe I"m totally insane. But when we"re in a serious relationship you don"t get to just do whatever is comfortable and never explain your behavior. I can deal with that at the beginning, she wants to make a good impression and isn"t totally comfortable with me, I understand. But once we"re dating seriously, that shit has to go, asap. That"s perhaps my biggest pet peeve with women in general. They all do that shit.
She either has a guy living with her, or she"s a serial killer.

It"s one or the other.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Lives with parents and they wouldn"t accept an american boyfriend.