Girls who broke your heart thread

The Foler_sl

shitlord
Sutekh said:
Machete?! Were you in the fucking jungle? It"s called a switch blade, and every mexican that beats their girlfriend is sure to carry one. He doesn"t need to "stand up to a real man" when he"s got a knife in his pocket.
No douchebag its called a machete. You obviously haven"t worked in any of the ER"s in Orlando area. Get tons of mexicans/haitians with machete wounds.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wait, so you"re a nurse? Not that there"s anything wrong with male nurses, just sayin.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Gryeyes said:
I bet you have punched many throats in your life.
I see I worded that badly. My mistake, and I apologize. I haven"t actually punched any throats myself, but it will always be my fallback if my only other alternative looks to be getting stabbed or worse, because like the other person my stature isn"t such that people are immediately intimidated.

But I can see where I looked like an e-thug there, so I deserved it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Guys I have to ask some advice here, it may be a bit gay of me as I tend to avoid this thread.. so bear with me a little bit.

If anyone remembers, around 2 years ago I came into this thread asking advice on asking out a girl. We did start dating thanks to the advice, and now we are approaching our two year anniversary. It"s been really good, I actually live in her house now. I"m 26 and she"s 25.

We"ve actually talked about marriage quite a bit. She definitely wants to marry me and I definitely want to marry her. My only hesitation is I really want to wait until I am out of school (engineering, don"t need added stress of a marriage) which will be about 3 years.

So I was thinking about what to get for our anniversary this year. There are plenty of the regular gifts I was going to get her like CD"s, cool shirts she wanted, small stuff like that. Last year I got her a really nice necklace and then on V-day I got her matching earrings to go with it. This year, I almost thought of going the promise ring route but then slapped myself for thinking about it.

So I"m actually considering going engagement ring, FUCK. I need some advice here. I know there"s no clear cut, definitive answer anyone can give me that says "Yes, get married," but on the same token I"d like to hear what people have to say. After 2 years, do you truly know someone well enough to propose and live a life together? I"ve lived with her for around 1.5 years now, and never regretted it. Sure, somedays I wish I could just hang out at my old place and relax, but those are few and far between.

One thing I will say, from the moment this relationship has started it has been incredibly awesome. To think I could find my wife at my place of work is something I never thought would happen.

I feel like I am asking people to talk me in or out of something that no one can possibly answer but me, but maybe someone will say something that will click in my brain. I have no doubt in my mind if I want to marry her, so I am not sure why I am even asking. I must sound silly.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Aria said:
Guys I have to ask some advice here, it may be a bit gay of me as I tend to avoid this thread.. so bear with me a little bit.

If anyone remembers, around 2 years ago I came into this thread asking advice on asking out a girl. We did start dating thanks to the advice, and now we are approaching our two year anniversary. It"s been really good, I actually live in her house now. I"m 26 and she"s 25.

We"ve actually talked about marriage quite a bit. She definitely wants to marry me and I definitely want to marry her. My only hesitation is I really want to wait until I am out of school (engineering, don"t need added stress of a marriage) which will be about 3 years.

So I was thinking about what to get for our anniversary this year. There are plenty of the regular gifts I was going to get her like CD"s, cool shirts she wanted, small stuff like that. Last year I got her a really nice necklace and then on V-day I got her matching earrings to go with it. This year, I almost thought of going the promise ring route but then slapped myself for thinking about it.

So I"m actually considering going engagement ring, FUCK. I need some advice here. I know there"s no clear cut, definitive answer anyone can give me that says "Yes, get married," but on the same token I"d like to hear what people have to say. After 2 years, do you truly know someone well enough to propose and live a life together? I"ve lived with her for around 1.5 years now, and never regretted it. Sure, somedays I wish I could just hang out at my old place and relax, but those are few and far between.

One thing I will say, from the moment this relationship has started it has been incredibly awesome. To think I could find my wife at my place of work is something I never thought would happen.

I feel like I am asking people to talk me in or out of something that no one can possibly answer but me, but maybe someone will say something that will click in my brain. I have no doubt in my mind if I want to marry her, so I am not sure why I am even asking. I must sound silly.
Your search for a goodgiftled you to consider an engagement ring. Bad start.

Vvoid said:
I see I worded that badly. My mistake, and I apologize. I haven"t actually punched any throats myself, but it will always be my fallback if my only other alternative looks to be getting stabbed or worse, because like the other person my stature isn"t such that people are immediately intimidated.

But I can see where I looked like an e-thug there, so I deserved it.
Ever heard of testicles? More effective, less chance of accidental murder.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dabamf said:
Your search for a goodgiftled you to consider an engagement ring. Bad start.

Ever heard of testicles? More effective, less chance of accidental murder.
It led me there only because I was considering the lame promise ring. I think it came out wrong, worded poorly. I"ve been thinking about it for a long time, wasn"t sure if it was lame to propose on my anniversary.

Brad2770

Aria said:
She definitely wants to marry me and I definitely want to marry her.
You answered your own question. Engagement doesn"t mean you get married immediately. Set the wedding for 3 or 4 years from now.

Get the ring.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dabamf said:
Your search for a good gift led you to consider an engagement ring. Bad start.
Huh? They"ve been discussing marriage for awhile now from the sounds of it. It"s not like this would be out of the blue or that it was solely germinated by the need to find a gift. It"s been on both of their minds for awhile, and from the sounds of it they"re both down with it.

It"s impossible for any of us to say whether or not it"s a good idea Aria. I"d say that 2 years is easily enough time if you"re in your mid 20"s. But they only people who can answer this question are you, your woman, and perhaps some close friends or family.

That said, I think it"s ridiculous to get engaged with no intention of marrying for 3-4 years. If you get engaged, it"s because you"re going to get married within a year IMO. Otherwise you"re just in some retarded limbo between dating and married.

Now, back to me:

Me said:
I think I"m supposed to go paddle boating with a girl next weekend, but I"m not clear on that.
So my friends were kind enough to fill me in on the details, since I was too drunk to remember what happened. We were hanging out in the beer gardens, getting quite drunk, and one of my friends basically started auctioning off the single guys to a couple groups of girls we"d been hanging with. The only part I remember very vaguely is at one point having my ass groped by half a dozen girls at once. Apparently when I was up for auction one girl approached my friend and said she was interested.

Somehow it was decided that her winning bid (I have no idea if there were actual bids) would include me taking her paddle boating at a park, along with a picnic lunch. I was not a party to any of this at all. From what I recall I was talking with some other friends and my bud and one of the other girls came up and were like "hey, this is Sarah. You"re taking her out next weekend" and informed me of the nature of the date. We exchanged numbers and parted ways since the gardens were closing for the night. The next day a couple of her friends right away were asking if I was gonna call her, what did I think, etc etc. There was another point where I was standing in line with a couple friends for food, and she and three of her friends were standing about 50 feet away in a semi-circle all facing me and quite obviously talking about me (I pretended to not notice them through the crowd of people). I spent most of the day actually watching music for once, but when I got to the gardens and sat down with some people I knew sure enough she was sitting 15 feet away halfway facing me. Turns out she"s quite cute, and I could tell she was nervous as hell. I gave her a smile and wave and was gonna go over to chat, but when I looked around she had left. I texted her:

Me: Hey! Did you leave the fest?

Here: Hey! Yeah I did. I made plans to see a friend, so left a bit early. I didn"t even say bye, sorry!

Me: No worries, will chat this week.

Her: Yeah for sure, have a good night!

So my question on this is, do I do the paddle boat thing? Seems like a pretty grand romantic gesture for a first date. Dial it back to a quick drink or bite to eat? Or just go all in?

Brad2770

Eomer said:
That said, I think it"s ridiculous to get engaged with no intention of marrying for 3-4 years. If you get engaged, it"s because you"re going to get married within a year IMO. Otherwise you"re just in some retarded limbo between dating and married.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzOBlPKZjxE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzOBlPKZjxE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I never understood super long engagements either, my first marriage we were engaged for about 16 months, that seemed about right, but then with how hard that crashed and burned....who knows.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Aria said:
Like everyone else says, it"s not a question any one of us can answer. However, you can glean some wisdom from what "everyone else" says.

See, I say I met my wife in February, started dating in March, and got married in June and I"m just a stupid 19 year old who doesn"t know what he"s getting into. 11 years later, they"re still waiting for it to fail so they can laugh.

You say you"ve been with a girl for 2 years and the answer you get is "Well, only you can make that decision." That means you"re in the "Socially Acceptable" range for marriage. That means you"re clearly not making a rash decision, you probably know this woman well enough to know if you want to spend a good portion of your life with her, so why the fuck not?

I"m not a huge fan of the dumbshit 3-4 year long engagements myself, as I"ve got an acquaintance in one right now and I guess my constant laughing at her retardation made her think I was a prick (I wonder why?) and she stopped talking to me. However, if you"re in school, that"s sort of a valid excuse for delaying something out. I guess the decision maker in that is what type of wedding she wants. I mean, we all know you"re not getting what you want, so if she"s cool with something small with a judge or something at a park, you can get married while you"re in school and it won"t be a big ordeal. If she wants something huge with all of her family and 8th cousins and people she went to kindergarten with, then yeah, you should probably wait until you"re out of school and land something permanent to pay for all that.

If you think you wanna spend 10-20 years with this chick, go for it. I can"t tell you if you do or not. It sounds like you do, so see where it goes.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don"t understand the "Lets wait to get out of school to get married" thing. If it"s a money thing I can see that I suppose, if you"re both employed (assuming you find work right out of college) it"ll be easier to pay for it....but other then that, why wait? Sure don"t have kids....THAT one makes total sense...but why wait for getting married? Nothing really changes, you"re still around each other all the time except now you"re legally married.

In the end you need to answer it yourself much like what"s already been said.

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Because nothing fucking changes, but its then a far more complex event if you breakup. WHY get married, nothing changes. Is the proper question you should be asking.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don"t try Gryeyes you"ll get Cut giving you a 5 paragraph essay about how you"re not happy since you"re not married and how great marriage is. Luckily Grobb isn"t here anymore to echo his sentiments.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Marriage isn"t for everyone and I"ll never say it is, but they WANT to get married, I just said I don"t really see a reason on waiting for school. Also things change when you are married, it"s different for everyone, some feel closer, some like the feeling of "unity"...others like tax breaks...I think that was Grobb"s argument lol.

Also if you want to complicate it, get a prenuptial things become drastically uncomplicated at that point. -shrugs-

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
And some get divorced in the first year. They also end up getting married 3-4 times in a life time. Nothing bodes well for a relationship when one has been married 4 fucking times previously. Most marriages end in divorce, the earlier you get married the more likely a divorce is.

Large life changing events such as finishing school and entering the professional world. Tend to have a large impact on all aspects of ones life, this includes their relationships. Wait until your life has stabilized, don"t dote on hypothetical futures that you then feel obligated to provide. That create stress where no stress needs to exist.

If you are happy eventually you will get married. And then divorced like 50% of the rest of the nation (usually for adultery!). Yeah, lets rush into that!