Girls who broke your heart thread

Waywatcher_foh

shitlord
I think people have reconciled that notion with the realization that there are enough people on this planet already. For every child an FoH poster elects not to have, I can assure you some Chinese or Indian couple has you covered.

Barring Lumie"s bulletproof lizard people prophecy coming true in a few months, or a cataclysmic nuclear world war, the species will be just fine for a while yet.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Dabamf said:
I wish I didn"t want kids. I"d be traveling and working in Asia/other places for probably at least 5 more years, possibly 10, before starting my career path if I didn"t want kids. The only reason I came back was I wanna be relatively young and have some money before having kids.

There"s one thing I can"t get outa my head though. Our only biological purpose for existing is to have offspring that then have their own offspring. Everything else, biologically, is only around to aid that goal. I don"t have a single thought toward "that"s right" or "that"s wrong" when someone else makes a life choice that has nothing to do with me. But for argument"s sake, how can that be reconciled with not wanting kids? Obviously you could then turn around and ask then why does homosexuality exist, which I don"t have an answer to either. I"m just wondering if there is one for not wanting kids.
Well, a good chunk of it is selfishness, without a negative connotation to the word.

Kids impede upon your life. You can"t do shit you could before you have kids. You don"t get to go out every night and hook up with random chicks, you don"t get to sleep in until noon, you don"t get to stay up until 4am drinking. Travel becomes much more difficult, moving becomes a chore...a lot of it is just straight up not wanting to have the burden. There"s a lot of shit I"d love to do, I"d love to travel more, I"d love to have more guitars and spend more time playing video games. But now I"ve got kids. I get up at 7 every morning with them and work my schedule around school and extra-curricular shit and nap time and whatever else. It"s the way it is. And don"t think I"m bitching...kids are awesome, and really change everything, but I think there"s a certain nobility in not wanting kids and not having them. At least those people are smart enough to not give into the biological impulse and then end up being shitty parents because they"re too self centered. I don"t have any disdain for anyone with kids, or anyone who doesn"t want kids and doesn"t have them. I have a lot of hate for people who have kids and didn"t want them though, that"s the worst. Just think of all the people out there who have dogs and just leave them in the yard 24/7. There are people who have that level of involvement with their kid"s lives too, and that"s just not cool. If you"re gonna get women pregnant, at least have the stones to be a parent and not fuck up your kids.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Dabamf said:
I wish I didn"t want kids. I"d be traveling and working in Asia/other places for probably at least 5 more years, possibly 10, before starting my career path if I didn"t want kids. The only reason I came back was I wanna be relatively young and have some money before having kids.

There"s one thing I can"t get outa my head though. Our only biological purpose for existing is to have offspring that then have their own offspring. Everything else, biologically, is only around to aid that goal. I don"t have a single thought toward "that"s right" or "that"s wrong" when someone else makes a life choice that has nothing to do with me. But for argument"s sake, how can that be reconciled with not wanting kids? Obviously you could then turn around and ask then why does homosexuality exist, which I don"t have an answer to either. I"m just wondering if there is one for not wanting kids.
I can"t speak for everyone who doesn"t want kids (I"m actually neutral I don"t have much an opinion either way) but I know my GF is doing it for logical reasons and she wasn"t "born" not wanting kids. It is a conclusion she arrived at.

The funny thing is I know so many people who should be good candidates for reproduction who simply don"t want to. Two of the software architects at my company (male) both don"t have nor want kids. Both have been married a while. There are actually quite a few successful people at my company who don"t have kids because they chose not to bring them into the world. Then I look at my facebook feed and I see a stream of idiots who are squeezing 2-3 things out between their thighs when they are completely unemployed and uneducated.

Added perk of not having kids is when hippies start ranting about carbon footprints. If you don"t have kids, and they do, you always have a one-up on them because all the hybrids and gardens in the world can"t lower a carbon footprint one is responsible for quite like not procreating.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
popsicledeath said:
Added perk of not having kids is when hippies start ranting about carbon footprints. If you don"t have kids, and they do, you always have a one-up on them because all the hybrids and gardens in the world can"t lower a carbon footprint one is responsible for quite like not procreating.
This is good because I make most my life decisions on how badly I can stick it in a hippy"s face

Tenks said:
This is good because I make most my life decisions on how badly I can stick it in a hippy"s face
Making sure to only ever stick it in their face is also a good way to ensure not having kids. Well played. I mean, even the ass is too dangerous as the semen can leak and you"ll end up with ass-babies.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Waywatcher said:
I think people have reconciled that notion with the realization that there are enough people on this planet already. For every child an FoH poster elects not to have, I can assure you some Chinese or Indian couple has you covered.

Barring Lumie"s bulletproof lizard people prophecy coming true in a few months, or a cataclysmic nuclear world war, the species will be just fine for a while yet.
I lean against having kids personally, however it has absolutely zero to do with world population or the environment etc. Maybe that factors in for other people, but it certainly doesn"t for me. Personally I lean away from having kids primarily for the reasons TheCutlery mentioned: they"re just flat out inconvenient and I damn well better have a good reason for having them other than the biological urge to. On top of that my brother and sister have each had their first kids, so I can partake in kid type shit whenever I want to. Hell it"s kinda like me not having a dog: it"s fun to babysit my bro"s dog for the weekend, but by Sunday I"m kinda looking forward to dropping him off. No way I want to deal with having a dog 24/7.

Going back to Dabamf"s original thoughts, I think it just comes down to a tug of war between the biological urge and our conscious needs and desires. I don"t feel a huge urge to have kids just for the sake of passing my awesome genes on, and what I want out of life in general just isn"t that compatible with having kids.

At this point anyways. Shit changes.

Rune_foh

shitlord
Haast said:
When Cathan claimed to be an engineer, the first thing I thought was: "I bet he graduated from Costco". Thank you, Idiocracy.
If costco issued degrees they would be a quarter the price of a state university degree and the classes would be at least twice the quality of equivalent programs.

Fuck I love me some costco. I"m a cheap bastard, but I try to give them as much of my money as possible.

I have no interest in having kids. When it"s come up in conversation people (girls) are pretty shocked, omgz you"d make a great dad.

Sure, sometimes I think about it with some regret, but it"s a combination of permanently handicapping my career... but mostly, subjecting possible future kids to my family is just cruel and unusual punishment.

Idiocracy really made a crucial point that"s painfully true. The people I see with kids are not the people I think should be raising kids. But I guess somebody has to be out there psychologically damaging my future trophy wives.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Funny how many of you are eliminating yourselves from natural selection. Your traits are not good traits. It"s basically Dwarwin awards except instead of entertaining us with your hilarious death, we have to listen to your complaining for 60 years. I don"t think that you guys are as smart as you think you are.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There is very little natural selection going on in the human species anymore, in the sense that you are using it anyway. If there were, there would be no American Disabilities Act, no welfare, no unemployment compensation, no homeless shelters...the list goes on and on.

If you"re going to claim natural selection as in who can get the most pussy and we"re all so beta because we don"t want to compete by not having kids...yeah, that"s not it at all.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dabamf said:
I"d like to see this done as an experiment, because it has potential for greatness, but could also fail miserably.
I"ve posted some of my most epic conversation failures in this thread before, if someone wants to dig them up they can. But MORE OFTEN, being upfront, honest AND assertive has a positive effect on women (for me).

The results of doing nothing have been predicted by at least 6 different posters, you"re 1 inch away from being friendzoned, my advice is sound. But Dabamf"s wording works just as good. You need to make her aware that you want to have sex with her, and that you view her giving you a key as an invitation to do that. Successful men don"t wait until they"ve known a woman for an entire year before they make their intentions clear.

She might have been romantically interested at one point. She isn"t now. If you do something like this she will think "Oh, I now need to completely re-evaluate how I thought of him, I only thought of him as a platonic friend before, do I really want to give my key to someone that wants to have sex with me?"

The answer doesn"t matter, it"s only important that she be asking herself that question.

(edit: forgot to include obligatory: advice to eomer, means he will spend the next 2 weeks analyzing my advice and deciding whether or not he wants to actually sleep with the girl in the first place)

Palum_foh

shitlord
It"s too late for Eomer, he has to subtly introduce a lisp over the next week and go with the you-turned-me-straight gambit and hope she takes the bait.

Or "hey, I just met you 13 months ago and I know this is crazy but here"s a key to my apartment so call me maybe?"

Darus Grey_foh

shitlord
A girl I"m seeing right now told me she put out on the first date because "You seem like the type who would just rape me if I said no".

I"m not exactly sure if that"s a positive thing...but being aggressive and assertive has never not gotten me laid. Doing it any other way is doing it wrong.

Good motto to live by: Rape me once, shame on you. Rape me twice, shame on me.... so I"ll just give it up... you know, to keep from shaming myself.

I"m not sure how I feel about that. Obvious emotional issues, but at least she"s open/honest/aware or something?

iannis

Musty Nester
Dabamf said:

The observation is made of trends within a group. The mistake is in trying to apply that observation about groups to an individual within that group. These are different entities, they serve different functions, and they behave in different ways.

What if the biological imperative for existence is existence itself and progeny is one of many accidental, and possibly necessary, outcomes of a bounded biological existence. Sounds like a fancy way to say the exact same thing but it"s not. One way attributes motive while one way describes process.

You"ve really got to be careful about attributing motive to process or you"ll run into "wait, this makes no damn sense" quickly if you"ve got any damn sense at all. Re: The intellectual contortions of western Faith.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Darus Grey said:
A girl I"m seeing right now told me she put out on the first date because "You seem like the type who would just rape me if I said no".

I"m not exactly sure if that"s a positive thing...but being aggressive and assertive has never not gotten me laid. Doing it any other way is doing it wrong.
Did you take her out on a boat?

You know... because of the implication?