Gloomhaven

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
ouch, didn't know he charged that much for shipping. i ended up picking mine up at a premium from a lgs that got 3 copies in for $160.

Discountgamesinc does free shipping for orders over $100 usually with PrivateerPress or GW products, i just assumed he did the same with board games, guess not. he still maintains a fairly good price for things and the stock reflected on the site is accurate to what he actually has available to ship, never had any issues with DGI.

the game box weighs close to 20 pounds and is massive, probably where the extra fee's are coming in from.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
We won this time, shit was going very wrong first few turns again.

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Saw it at a "Its your move" near by today while I was out and about, was tempted to get it at $130. Just not sure if I can swing the price or if I will like it since haven't taken an in depth look at the game.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
we have been plugging away on this, getting close to our first character retiring out and our first unlock. Tried the scoundrel solo scenario today at player level 5, scenario level 3 and got pounded. Made it about halfway through. The family is having a blast with it. 90% of ur games have been at 3 player, we did 1 or 2 at 4 players.

Solo scenarios look like they will be a pretty good challenge. I think we are going to "house rule" that you can save the current state of your char when you retire and then later on go back to him after you retire another char

Really enjoying it though, we probably play about 4-5 scenarios a week. We have only lost 1 of them but we have barely scraped by on about 3 of them that if we didnt get lucky on monster cards or an initiave we probably would have lost. A fair bit of death / exhaustion and we try to keep the difficulty level at avg char lvl / 2 rounded up.

Our 8 year old can handle playing a char pretty well, we think its a pretty solid game and everyone looks forward to it at night. We have Massive Darkness sitting boxed up for when we complete Gloomhaven and Zombicide Green Horde bought for after that. Given the size of Gloomhave I think it will keep us busy for quite a few months and if someone can swing the cash outlay for it, I think there is a lot of gaming time you get for the money

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Boy I jinxed that. Got slaughtered tonight. Was the monsters turn to get lucky with cards. Oozes with that "split" card can be brutal. We got that one 3 times tonight. Ended up with about 35 monsters we needed to kill in it all. We had enough gas in the tank for about 30 of em

We are probably approaching 35-40 hours played and its still really good

Raign

Golden Squire
Any of you that have played a few scenarios solo have suggestions for class pairing? I want to run a few of the random dungeons with 2 characters run by myself in advance of playing the campaign with my usual suspects to make sure I have the game flow and rules locked down (for the most part). I am guessing either a brute or a craigheart to tank and a dps type character like the mind hunter or scoundrel, but I would love to hear any less traditional mixes that might work well.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cragheart has a lot of nice heals, i think hes a bit more flexible than the brute because hes got more ranged attacks too. Scoundrel is pretty powerful especially after a level or two and has 1 self heal that is reusable and can disarm traps.

We only saw the tinker for 1 game but they were pretty good too and also had a decent heal. I think you could go Cragheart / Scoundrel or Cragheart / Tinker and have a pretty good doubles

On an unrelated note I had ordered a set of the vinyl peelable stickers from Sinister Fish a while ago, they should have shipped out about 10 days ago so I'm expecting them this week here in the states. Right now ive just been tracking that stuff on paper but looking forward to those.

• 1Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
my group hasn't had a chance to dive into this yet, but so far we are looking at cragheart/scoundrel/spellweaver and i'm still undecided but looking at either mindthief or tinkerer.

anyone run a mindthief with any success?

spoiler is just a question on an unlockable mini.

also the cthulhu looking miniature box is tempting me, im a sucker for sealed boxes but really want the agent of xorn. anyone been able to unlock him yet?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
my group hasn't had a chance to dive into this yet, but so far we are looking at cragheart/scoundrel/spellweaver and i'm still undecided but looking at either mindthief or tinkerer.

anyone run a mindthief with any success?

spoiler is just a question on an unlockable mini.

also the cthulhu looking miniature box is tempting me, im a sucker for sealed boxes but really want the agent of xorn. anyone been able to unlock him yet?

I am running a mindthief, very versatile can go dmg or support or even a bit of healing. Lowest HP in the game though.

Scoundrel is usually the MVP, super fast insane damage.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I am running a mindthief, very versatile can go dmg or support or even a but if healing. Lowest HP in the game though.

I ran the mindthief in the game I'm playing with some friends. Was a fun character, especially if you forgoe the shitty rat pets and just go full attack cards. However, if you haven't already spoiled yourself on what the upgrade class is (I unlocked last play session by completing my life goal) then I won't spoil it for you... but it's kick ass.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I ran the mindthief in the game I'm playing with some friends. Was a fun character, especially if you forgoe the shitty rat pets and just go full attack cards. However, if you haven't already spoiled yourself on what the upgrade class is (I unlocked last play session by completing my life goal) then I won't spoil it for you... but it's kick ass.

Not there yet, excited to find out!

• 1Like

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>

The unlock depends on the specific quest I think? Unless that small story book also unlocks something, which I'm sure it could.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The unlock depends on the specific quest I think? Unless that small story book also unlocks something, which I'm sure it could.

Oh, you're right. My life goal was to kill a demon of every element. And completing that goal triggered the unlock.

And the Elementalist is absolutely kick ass!!

• 1Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea i think ill go with the mind thief, i looked over the level 1 cards and the rat pets seem not great. i'll be skipping those.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm. Is it a problem if I don't know anything about the life goals a few sessions in ... ?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Picked this up along with the card sleeves, vinyl sticker set, and the Broken Token organizer so now we're just waiting on our new tables to get here so we can start playing!

Never played it but very excited to check it out. Any outside resources you guys might recommend for getting up to speed on the game?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
My vinly sticker set showed up today, never been so excited for stickers! Going to put them on our set tomorrow to get it updated, as ive been keeping track on our party sheet and stuff is crowded

The scoundrel is pimp as hell, so much damage. Mine retired at lvl 5 and was an absolute beast with a few items. I played the class you get at +10 reputation afterwards (and still currently) but eventually im going back to my scoundrel to decimate stuff. The low initiative on almost everything the scoundrel has is a lot of fun and. Not including one on your initial team is a pretty big hinderance I would think. Their upper level cards look like a ton of fun, so eventually im going to un-retire mine again and finish leveling them up.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Picked this up along with the card sleeves, vinyl sticker set, and the Broken Token organizer so now we're just waiting on our new tables to get here so we can start playing!

Never played it but very excited to check it out. Any outside resources you guys might recommend for getting up to speed on the game?

The Gloomhaven Reddit has an excellent write up on every starting class. You may not agree with every decision they make, but it definitely helps you get your feet in the water until you can start making your own decisions based upon your playstyle.

• 1Like