Gloomhaven

Molten Core Raider
Ordered the Daedalus insert back on March 5th, still haven't delivered. People are gradually getting their orders but be prepared for 5-6 month wait.

On top of that Daedalus has started working with a kickstarter which is going to cause even more delays. If you want an organizer i would recommend going with Broken Token unless you have the months to spare.

That'll teach me for not reading this forum before placing an order for one. Picked up Gloomhaven and haven't even really unboxed it other than to take a peek at the contents. I was hoping to have an organizer on hand before popping everything out and setting the game up for the first time but the thought of waiting months to do it is very annoying. Their front page is saying it will be up to 25 business days to produce/ship. I guess if I dont see any forward motion after 25 days Ill see about cancelling and try Broken Token.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The Broken Token organizer is very nice, you won't be disappointed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That'll teach me for not reading this forum before placing an order for one. Picked up Gloomhaven and haven't even really unboxed it other than to take a peek at the contents. I was hoping to have an organizer on hand before popping everything out and setting the game up for the first time but the thought of waiting months to do it is very annoying. Their front page is saying it will be up to 25 business days to produce/ship. I guess if I dont see any forward motion after 25 days Ill see about cancelling and try Broken Token.

Go with broken token. They ship fast, awesome quality, you know what you’re getting with them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Go with broken token. They ship fast, awesome quality, you know what you’re getting with them.

I love my Broken Token organizer for this game. Reduced setup and teardown times by about 80%, and makes access/organization of game pieces during play a TON easier. Would recommend!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this was on dealsite for 117 yesterday, now it's oos and back up to 140, jesus christ

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So started painting the minis...

IMG_20180603_141239.jpg

full size in spoiler
IMG_20180603_141239.jpg

Then I started 3D printing dungeon walls etc

3dwalls.jpg

full size in spoiler
walls.jpg

I may have a sickness....

Anywho we just finished a long multi-scenario sequence that has a very nice reward at the end. Retired our first character and two more going to be retiring shortly. Amazingly enough we are now 14 scenarios in and still haven't gotten Enchantment!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Wow I wish I had the time, creativity, and 3D printer for that. Looks sweet.

Our campaign is about 30 scenarios in, retired the Scoundrel awhile back for the class unlocked at +10 party rep. Just retired the Tinkerer for the 3-spears icon character, and about to retire the Cragheart for a yet-to-be-determined class based off what we have available. Non-spoilered names below.

I haven't yet been able to give up my Mindthief, he's absurdly awesome. 1-2 quests from level 9.

Sunseeker is the paladin type character unlocked at party rep 10+. 3-spears came from Scoundrel's retirement quest, it's the Quartermaster, seems pretty ridiculous if your party is kitted out nicely. Cragheart is bouncing back and forth between Spellweaver, Doomthingyguy (throws doom tokens on things) that was unlocked from Tinkerer's retirement, and whatever the Crag's quest unlocks, if anything.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So started painting the minis...

View attachment 170474

full size in spoiler

Then I started 3D printing dungeon walls etc

View attachment 170476

full size in spoiler

I may have a sickness....

Anywho we just finished a long multi-scenario sequence that has a very nice reward at the end. Retired our first character and two more going to be retiring shortly. Amazingly enough we are now 14 scenarios in and still haven't gotten Enchantment!

Those are awesome walls, nice work. You could probably make a lot of money selling those on Etsy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
yeah those walls are great. My group started playing a few weeks ago and I painted our starting party.

P7131074.jpgP7131075.jpgP7131079.jpgP7131082.jpg

I don't foresee us playing another game for a while...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So did our first 3 man scenario last night (our 4th moved to Ohio, 1 scenario before his MindThief was to retire). I don't know if it was because we did a lower numbered scenario or if it was because things are just more fluid with 3 players but we zipped right through the scenario in record time.

Have others seen a benefit to 3 vs 4 players?

• 1Like

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Almost all of ours are with 3. 4 seems like a pretty big bump in certain scenarios, especially with some of the nastier monsters and earlier in the game too. For some scenarios its not that bad.

We did a few with 4, most of ours with 3 and then a few with just 2. Less players def seems easier, but I would say that in my opinion 3 is probably the sweet spot for us

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I only ever play these games with the maximum number of characters, even if it means someone plays 2 of them. This goes for Gloomhaven, Descent, Imperial Assault, etc. I've found most are best balanced around that maximum (usually 4), and anything below that tends to be very swingy. Playing with the max is also sometimes the only way you see certain more difficult content.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Molten Core Raider
Got shipping info on my Daedalus insert today (I placed the order on June 24th). Not too bad considering their 25 day estimated time and some of the horror stories I've read about long delays. Maybe they're slowly getting back on track for getting orders out the door. Looking forward to finally getting into the game.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
My Daedalus insert showed up on July 8th (order placed March 5th) its good quality and im happy with it, but in the future i wont be ordering anything from Daedalus again.

I'll also note that some of the pieces are reversed from the directions on the website, like different compartments are on different sides, doesn't really impact the storage but the assembly was a pain for a piece or two (the monster tray specifically). the etching is also a little faint and you have to turn it just right to read the words printed on them. its good quality wood but i wish it was a bit darker to make it easier to read.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it got announced that they were working on a video game version of it awhile back. Doesn't look like a total trashfire, but not a ton to go on from that video aside from art style. Soo cautiously optimistic.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
As long as they make it essentially a direct port it can't go wrong. The problem is too many companies have screwed the pooch porting things. See whitemoon dreams and warmachine. This company at least seems reasonable in their goals.

We have stopped our campaign until my table of ultimate gaming arrives....should be any time now.

• 1Like

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Starting this with some friends at work tomorrow.

Do any of you use any apps or things to help out or stick to the board counters and processes?

italica

Trakanon Raider
Starting this with some friends at work tomorrow.

Do any of you use any apps or things to help out or stick to the board counters and processes?

I'd recommend playing 1 game just using the board counters / decks etc so you at least have seen everything in action once, and then use the gloomhaven helper app (non-ios platforms only) to track monster action decks. The helper app also has a neat sync feature where anyone with an android device can connect to it and see all the info and input their initiative values on their own screen.

Gloomhaven Helper

Number 1 thing that stumps everyone... the rule book is always being literal, but that doesn't always mean it's being intuitive/logical. Interpret rules as they are written, don't make any assumptions. (If you're unsure of a rule, search boardgamegeek, the game creator is fairly active there and has responded to most common questions.)

Monster movement rules are the biggest thing people seem to struggle with. They are very literal as written, not always logical in a given situation. For example, if there is no "attack" action on a monster's action card, but there is a "move" action, the monster moves as if it is doing a melee attack, even if it's a monster type that normally only does ranged attacks, which can be super confusing.

This was incredibly helpful to my group when we first started, and we still reference it occasionally. Monster Movement Flowchart

There's also a scenario app that can help you prevent spoilers when setting up a scenario (just search app stores for gloomhaven scenario app). Game IS balanced around you knowing the room / monster layouts, but my group prefers to not know the actual monster layouts before a door is opened. (Knowing monster types we will run into is fine, just not layouts for us.)

There's an official FAQ on boardgamegeek forums for questions you are most definitely going to have.

There's also a plethora of campaign tracking sheets people have put together on boardgamegeek that we've found helpful. Being able to track what scenarios you've run, and which treasure chests you didn't get and need to go back for etc, has been helpful for later play sessions.

The game can be incredibly frustrating to get into at first if you don't have any experienced player at the table. Stick with it at least until you successfully defeat the first 2 scenarios, and don't be afraid to lower the difficulty level if you're struggling and it's just not "clicking" for your group. (rules for that in the book)

• 1Like