Gnomoria - Like Dwarf Fortress

Azziane_sl

shitlord
But, animal husbandry is really low on that priority list. This guy will ALWAYS be doing trees, or farms, and never get to herding animals. Although, WILL immediately go butcher one, if you set that to priority 1. Butcher priority 1 will trump farm priority 1. So right at the start of the game, and randomly during it, when you notice you have 10 yaks all running around. pick a ranchhand, and swap him to
That is exactly my problem. I wanted my Rancher to help with clipping trees and tendings groves. But I still want him to put newborn yaks away immediately when they are born. But because animal husbandry has an innate priority lower than tree clipping, he will not tend to the cows until there is no clipping orders. And right now there is always clipping/cutting to do with the huge groves I setup around my entrance. Being able to set priorities to gnomes/jobs would be ideal. I'll have to juggle jobs a lot more than I should.

Thanks for confirming though!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Doors stop monsters but monsters can attack them, no idea how durable they are. To the best of my knowledge, doors let merchants and gnomads in just fine.

Caliane

yeah. regular doors just slow them down. and not much. 2-3 hits or so.
Mechanical walls do work.
self powered traps are not very good.
Trap doors can work very well. Several ways to make it so anyone trying enter drops down into a pit, which you can open/close at your leisure.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Cool, thanks.

Dining room now. If I set one up, how does it work? In DF a dwarf would go find food in the nearest stockpile and bring it to the dining room, sit at a table if he can, eat and get happier for eating in a nice setting. I think.
Is that how it works in Gnomoria? Do I have to have stockpiles nearby or is the dining room/great hall used only as a "double the worth of your statues and shit"? Wiki is not too helpful on this kind of question.

And about merchants. In my new game I did not build a market stall before Day 5 so I missed the first merchant. I did build 2 stalls before Day 5 of Summer though but I am sitting there on Day 6 of summer and no merchant has come. Do they not show up at all if you have a door or a wall up? I thought I read merchants will show up as long as you have a stall and may just hang out around you wall if there is no way in. Is that not true? Any reason why merchants may not show up for me in the first summer?

The path to the market stalls is a 1-wide tunnel. I think that's OK in Gnomoria and there is no need to widen it to a 3 wide path for caravans like you would in DF.

Caliane

happiness is not in the game yet.

Dining room should increase the "fullness" though. I think. meaning they will eat less often. however, I stopped building dining rooms in a much earlier patch, as I hadn't really ever seen them actually use them.
In general, reducing travel time is better.

A great hall on the other hand does have a specific purpose. It doubles the value of items in it, greatly increasing your kingdoms worth, which increases gnomad arrival, (and goblin). It also serves as a high priority location for IDLE gnomes to hang out in. Visually, lets you know someones idle easily. And with gnomads, it will make them BEELINE to your great hall. Less likely to get picked off by mants, etc.

1 wide is fine I'm pretty sure.
They do show up if theres walls. Not sure why one might not have come.

Caliane

Also, everyone who already had should be getting steam keys.
"I'm trying to get keys distributed right now
biggrin.png
I'm not sure how long it's going to take but everyone who purchased through BMT, Desura or Indie Game Stand should be getting keys "shortly"."

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I got my code for steam. Super happy I can fire up the latest version alot easier now.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Did you actually survive within one game for 20 hours? I still can't get past the first goblin attack, unless I wall myself in. Which is what I did cause fuck losing all the time.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Oh hell no. I've restarted at least a dozen times trying to refine an opening strat.

What I'm doing now is trying to cordon/wall off enough outside territory for future agricultural needs. I'm surviving the goblin attacks so far by filling a squad with five gnomes, keeping them unarmed and using "the way of the gnome" perk. I then park a training center right at my gate so an goblins that show up are attacked immediately.

One error I made on this game: if you're going to use that kind of strat, it's not desirable to have done any foraging/digging/felling outside what will become your border, or gnomes will leave the gate to try to grab stuff a lot.

It was a bit shaky towards the end of summer (I was down to five gnomes), but I got ten new ones at the start of fall, so I might be OK. Or I could die horribly come winter.

Caliane

Oh hell no. I've restarted at least a dozen times trying to refine an opening strat.

What I'm doing now is trying to cordon/wall off enough outside territory for future agricultural needs. I'm surviving the goblin attacks so far by filling a squad with five gnomes, keeping them unarmed and using "the way of the gnome" perk. I then park a training center right at my gate so an goblins that show up are attacked immediately.

One error I made on this game: if you're going to use that kind of strat, it's not desirable to have done any foraging/digging/felling outside what will become your border, or gnomes will leave the gate to try to grab stuff a lot.

It was a bit shaky towards the end of summer (I was down to five gnomes), but I got ten new ones at the start of fall, so I might be OK. Or I could die horribly come winter.
yeah. how hard the game is,is largely on you and how much you want to exploit, or what you consider exploiting.

I think using a small map, and a walling off the entire thing, wont allow spawns still.
Forcing a shut down, not a save +exit, doesn't save. Just close the window. Or even use a save mod, to load as you want.

Training dummies are in pairs. they duel.

Walling in. Its not really cheating, its building a wall. duh. how useful it is, depends on the game settings. If you have monsters grow over time, its not super effective, as you will have a sea of death waiting for you when you do open. haha. Making opening up, before you have mech walls, pitfalls for real traps to deal with a large force, very dangerous.

Traps. Blade traps, spike traps kindof suck. dont bother.
hatches, and mech walls are the real traps. have a pressure plate, that seals off the corridor, when anyone enters. if its friendly, you can have a switch, you can order to be pulled to let them out. if not, let them starve, or have a firing range that can shoot them. Drowning/crushing is always fun too.

yaks. monsters will kill them. And they will buy more time. you can make a corridor. place a pasture(needs to be outside) like halfway. and a few doors at the end. Again, a firing range, or just sending your troops in now, while the monsters were attacking yaks. or allowing time for your engis to run up and flip a switch for mech walls.

Stick everything into a militia squad. Assign militia perk, so they will work. Assign avoid combat. (can also be exploiting with scout perk)
Doing this, will force everyone to not run into a fight to pick up loot, or reset blade traps in the middle of a horde.

Way of the gnome is really strong early. Combat balance in general has issues. Ranged isnt that great. hammers are better then anything else. many DW hammers. hammers shatter armor, and exoskeletons. swords cut cuasing bleeding. which can be deflected by armor, and do little vs mants.

Mants. Every other day or so past a point, a mant scout will spawn. if you see this scout and kill it. A worker army wont spawn. if you do not kill it, and it lasts a day, the worker army will spawn and attack. The number that spawn are directly related to your food/drink resources.

I hit a bug in this version. Felling axes, and mining picks are vanishing. cant mine or cut logs.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't played in ages, but I used to keep a large herd of Alpacas outside the gate to my fort, would buy time for my soldiers to respond.