Gnomoria - Like Dwarf Fortress

Dashivax

N00b
It should be trivial for anyone to kill every single goblin in the first year. The most important thing is keep your kingdom wealth as low as possible. You have 12 days to safely dig as deep as you want and get enough ore to craft a couple full sets of armor then just seal up your tunnels and live off smelting all the extra armor/weps the goblins bring you.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm terribad at this. I can't ever seem to get hospitals/tailor stations up and running fast enough to support the troops.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I realize this game is still in development, and there are parts of it that I love, but I just never seem to be good enough to fully enjoy all of it. I struggle with all sorts of things that I feel *should* be more intuitive. Like for example building my beginning workshops (stonemason, carpenter, etc.). If you don't micromanage them, they almost never get built via the auto-build thing, but that's fine I can deal with that. However, I set a few trees to be chopped and now the two guys that normally run my wood shops refuse to do anything but chop wood. I fuck with the job tasks thinking I'll make someone that only works at shops, and somehow I get a guy that dies of thirst?? Some of that shit needs to be easier to figure out, or at least put priorities on the individual jobs. Like if I want this guy to go ahead and chop wood if there is nothing else to do, let me put it at 8, whereas I can put crafting at 1, hauling at 9, etc. That simple addition (may not be simple I realize) would make shit a lot easier for me.

And then when I do all that, I'm not doing well enough to fend off the goblins without losing a few dudes, even though I have bandages and shit. Speaking of, there really needs to be an "area of control" somehow, so that my gnomes don't run out and try to pick up shit half a map away, only to be the lone guy that spots the enemy...between them and home usually too.

There is a ton more to the game that I almost never get to unless I wall myself off, and then as everyone says it basically becomes impossible to ever open your gates. Eventually that becomes un-fun. In other words, I feel like there needs to be a bit more of a balance to allow you to ramp up a bit before the shit hits the fan, without using "exploits" so to speak like the digging for 12 days, walling yourself off, etc.

Still enjoying the game a ton, I just suck at it and am obviously not getting everything I should be out of it.

Alexzander

I seem to have gotten a better start. I found it really helpful to make three crude workshops right away and set two of them to just make planks. I also move my "builders" to a new profession that can do everything. That way there are potentially four people that can man wood crafting stations. I was able to get trade stuff up and running a lot faster that way.

edit: So how are you supposed to use hospitals? I noticed in the tab that it counts beds, so I added three beds. Gnomes then proceeded to sit on said beds until they starved to death. What the hell?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
edit: So how are you supposed to use hospitals? I noticed in the tab that it counts beds, so I added three beds. Gnomes then proceeded to sit on said beds until they starved to death. What the hell?
Same here. I'm not sure of the exact mechanic, but I was able to keep them alive through setting another gnome to the doctor/caregiver professions. They carried food and drink to the bed-ridden gnomes when they needed it. However, I don't know if any of them actually get cured over time (one of mine was blind in both eyes, so never left the bed).

Another way you can keep them from starving/dying of thirst is to deconstruct the bed they are in. They'll go ahead and try to feed themselves then. But yeah, I still don't know how hospitals actually work as far as healing major injuries.

Alexzander

It must the the whole caregiver thing. I thought I just needed to assign a doctor. D'oh.

So basically, by the first day of summer, I need to have:

A tailor station for bandages
5 gnomes set to be standing military, preferably training by the gate
2 gnomes for the hospital
Everyone else set up as militia

So that's 7 dedicated for defense.

The problem I guess that I'm having is to get all that other stuff done, I pretty much am neglecting decking out a great hall. So I only got 3 gnomads on the first day of summer, for a total of 12 gnomes. Which means more than half of my population isn't being directly productive.

I must be doing a lot wrong right now.

Caliane

Hospitals are a bit messed up at the moment.

The idea was to have a place for gnomes missing legs, etc to go and sit and get taken care of, so they don't starve. and hobble around all day.
Problem is, all gnomes with even minor injuries go and sit there. And if your doctor/caregiver is busy, they wont leave, even when starving.

I think the only thing that cant be healed currently is "missing" limbs.

Dashivax

N00b
I have some advice for people struggling to have a good start to the game. This is what I do for a new game and it works for me.

The very first thing you want to do at the start of a new game is put all of your starting gnomes into individual squads for militia.

Set it up like this. Create a new position called Militia, give it the perk "Militia" and the check the box for Retreat if Bleeding, no other boxes checked.
Create a new formation called Militia, give it the perk "On the Move" and assign the leader of the squad as the Militia position.
Create 9 new squads that use the Militia formation and assign each of your gnomes to one of them.

This keeps all your gnomes from fighting or even getting near enemies, unless they get cornered.

The next thing you want to do is make better jobs for your gnomes. The 2 miners and the 2 woodcutters I typically leave alone. The other 5 gnomes I give a new profession to. Create a new profession and check everything except for stone and wood. I give this same job to every new gnome I get also. Once you get your specialized crafting stations up you can assign individual gnomes a job to just do that if you really want to, but most of the time I prefer to just mess with the priorities of the crafting stations to make sure some gnome is always doing the things I need most.

For the first few days of building the best advice I can give is don't give your gnomes too many tasks. You only need about 20-30 logs to start with, don't chop down the whole forest. Don't plant a huge 100 patch farm either. Once you have your crafting stations up don't put any jobs on repeat. Use the "craft to" for absolutely everything.

You don't need any military gnomes until the night of the 1st of summer. Since I try to keep my kingdom worth low so that harder goblins don't spawn, I usually only get 3 gnomes at the start of summer. I only use two of these for military. When fall comes I use two more gnomes for military. You absolutely do not need a full squad of gnomes on military in the first year, they only need full armor. Drop a training ground right at your entrance and put personal quarters for your military gnomes right under/beside it. Place 1 tile stockpiles for food/drink/bandages with high priority right next to your training grounds so they never have to move far.

The first 12 days of the game my entire goal is to craft 2 full sets of armor. Copper, bronze, doesn't matter. Weapons aren't important since you usually get them from the first few goblins anyway. If you have 2 gnomes with full copper armor you will make it through the first summer probably without even needing bandages (depends how high you let your kingdom worth get.) Your miners should be digging nonstop. Dig down to at least -10 and start mining long tunnels until you find a cave network, this is the easiest way to find ores. Don't stock all the stone you are mining, just the metal.

Remember to put all new worker gnomes into militia squads. Try to get bronze armor for your troops by winter.

I usually have a hospital setup by fall but I have never had it get used during the goblin phase of the game. With all your workers setup properly so they always run from everything they will basically never get hurt.

Do not fuck around with a great hall or making fancy personal quarters until the second year. It will just make your kingdom worth too high too quickly and you will get progressively harder monster spawns. I recommend using a smelter to smelt the massive amounts of copper armor/weapons you will get from goblins in the first year, it can really drive your kingdom worth through the roof. I try to stay under 30k in the first year.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I walled in, my main problem is endless fucking yak milking/butchering jobs clogging up everything. Beginning to think it's best to just kill the starting Animals and only have farms which you can turn off.

I have a really nice fort, one thing I have discovered is that if you are building above ground you can put your farms and orchards on the roof to make things more compact.

Caliane

oh pastures.

Kill off all but 1 male. And trim down the population periodically.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I realize this game is still in development, and there are parts of it that I love, but I just never seem to be good enough to fully enjoy all of it. I struggle with all sorts of things that I feel *should* be more intuitive. Like for example building my beginning workshops (stonemason, carpenter, etc.). If you don't micromanage them, they almost never get built via the auto-build thing, but that's fine I can deal with that. However, I set a few trees to be chopped and now the two guys that normally run my wood shops refuse to do anything but chop wood. I fuck with the job tasks thinking I'll make someone that only works at shops, and somehow I get a guy that dies of thirst?? Some of that shit needs to be easier to figure out, or at least put priorities on the individual jobs. Like if I want this guy to go ahead and chop wood if there is nothing else to do, let me put it at 8, whereas I can put crafting at 1, hauling at 9, etc. That simple addition (may not be simple I realize) would make shit a lot easier for me.

And then when I do all that, I'm not doing well enough to fend off the goblins without losing a few dudes, even though I have bandages and shit. Speaking of, there really needs to be an "area of control" somehow, so that my gnomes don't run out and try to pick up shit half a map away, only to be the lone guy that spots the enemy...between them and home usually too.

There is a ton more to the game that I almost never get to unless I wall myself off, and then as everyone says it basically becomes impossible to ever open your gates. Eventually that becomes un-fun. In other words, I feel like there needs to be a bit more of a balance to allow you to ramp up a bit before the shit hits the fan, without using "exploits" so to speak like the digging for 12 days, walling yourself off, etc.

Still enjoying the game a ton, I just suck at it and am obviously not getting everything I should be out of it.
These are the top 3 issues with the game by a long shot. There needs to be job priority settings on a global scale (make woodcutting #1 for every one with tat task on, for example) and then priority settings for each task within each gnome that overrides the global settings. That would allow you to not have to micromanage if you don't want to as well as give you control of each gnome if you do want to. I'd happily settle with the latter though. Walling off should always be the best option (alternately digging into a mountain or the ground). It makes sense to have a wall to fend off sieges. But goblins need a way to get through. Wall destroyers, stronger gates but pickable... something. DF has the same issue, to a lesser degree. The flying and wall destroying monsters make up for it somewhat.

TLDR - I agree.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just bought this on steam - is there a recommended beginner guide
wink.png

wink.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I agree, walling in is not going to give you a real feel for the game. To me, it is better to lose several kingdoms via them being slaughtered than the false sense a wall gives you. Besides, you're likely to lose everyone to crap you find mining anyway if you don't know what you're doing.

However, the guide is still useful in that it shows you what a lot of things do, and how to do them. I had no fucking clue what half this shit was 9 months ago, and starting up again recently I was almost as lost. I had no idea I needed a bone needle for bandages until I read about it, because it didn't even exist before. So reading that guide is at least somewhat helpful I'd say.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
I hadn't actually read it from start to finish yet, just seen it recommended elsewhere. Ugh to the walling bollocks but I suppose I can read it for the other info like vvoid suggested.

Out of interest (and presumably this is the target group that would have looked at it) did anyone try A Game Of Dwarves published by Paradox? It's in a cheapo indie bundle atm and seems similarish to this/Towns etc.

Caliane

I agree, walling in is not going to give you a real feel for the game. To me, it is better to lose several kingdoms via them being slaughtered than the false sense a wall gives you. Besides, you're likely to lose everyone to crap you find mining anyway if you don't know what you're doing.

However, the guide is still useful in that it shows you what a lot of things do, and how to do them. I had no fucking clue what half this shit was 9 months ago, and starting up again recently I was almost as lost. I had no idea I needed a bone needle for bandages until I read about it, because it didn't even exist before. So reading that guide is at least somewhat helpful I'd say.
losing is fun!

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
What the hell is up with honey badgers? My guys can kill goblins no problem, they don't even get injuries - but fucking honey badgers will kill several gnomes before I can kill them.