Godzilla (2014)

Fazana_sl

shitlord
^^^ Aha! That's good to hear, I haven't bothered with any of the comics since the 90s as the new monsters were all crap.

That picture alone has me hunting the newer ones down. Cheers for the correction!

Szlia

The lack of a Godzilla anime or manga is an interesting enigma... to solve it properly, some research would be needed, but if I had to guess, I would say it might be a structural thing. Giant monsters movies are at their heights from the '50s to the '70s and it's an era when japanese studios are highly specialized. Monsters movies was Toho's thing (Daiei tried to compete with Gamera) and I don't believe they were much involved with television nor animation at the time.

Another possibility is that it is an ontological thing: something that has to do with the very nature of Godzilla and other films/series of its kind. I can't think of any giant monster movie (Kaiju) or costumed squad TV serie (super sentai) that ever became an animated serie or originated in a manga. Even metal heroes shows produced by animation behemoth Toei have no animated version. The cause could be that these shows all belong to a meta genre that the japanese call tokusatsu ('special filming' wikipedia tells me) whose main point is the make-believe craft (note that even in low budget series there is a campy charm to it). The fireworks, the puppetry, the miniatures, the costumes, the make-up, the creative editing... something that in a way could be seen as belonging to a tradition similar to kabuki theater or puppet theater, all things that would be lost if using animation. A counter-argument for that theory is the fact giant robots can be found in manga, anime and tokusatsu!

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Look at the size of this big giant city destroying bastardo, loving the fact they've scaled him up even bigger than any of the Toho versions.

Mankind had better not kill him, in the first film at least anyway!

1381502374262_zps30dca096.jpg

Edit: Awwww damnit, apparently it's a faaaaaake
frown.png

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^

Shame it's a fake (if it is or isn't) cause that looks totally bad-ass movie poster.

I'd see the film based on that poster alone.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
movie posters are stupid now a days, the real one would probably just show a big yellow eyeball or a smokey shadow, and be ominous. but if they had that as a movie poster, it'd all be vandalized and stolen cuz of how cool it looks, i mean that's all you need godzilla taller than the skyline, just wrecking shit, no stupid intrigue, just that.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
movie posters are stupid now a days, the real one would probably just show a big yellow eyeball or a smokey shadow, and be ominous.
Yeah true there's been an image posted in the FSR a few times that shows collections of similar movie posters. The eye close up idea has been used dozens of times, to a stupid high amount.

The 1998 Godzilla was one of them.