Godzilla (2014)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I went and saw this on opening night. I paid 10 bucks. It was not the best movie I'd ever seen, but I do not feel like I wasted my money. If you like monster movies or effects then you probably won't be disappointed either. If you think you're going to get those things plus characters and dialogue the likes of Mad Men then you have ignored what the movie industry has produced since at least the mid 90's.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Saw this last Friday, was pretty bored throughout tbh. Even as a 'park brain in neutral' flick it was pretty poor. I especially felt Binoche and Cranston were absolutely wasted in their very limited roles.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
As far as Summer popcorn flicks go, I liked it. Visually it was spectacular. As a human interest story, not so much. Aaron Taylor-Johnson has about as much screen presence as a turnip.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I went in expecting to walk out in disgust half-way through. It was better than I expected. Might be the best pop-corn flick of the summer.

Even if you hate Godzilla like I do this is a must-see. It's that good. 9/10

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I watched it last Friday and got, what I was excpecting. I turned off my brain, when I bought the ticket and enjoyed the movie. I would have prefered to totally cut the armyguy and his family stuff and just take Heisenberg on the ride. I mean, does anyone filing these movies think that it adds any tension to have the family in the city, that gets destroyed or bomb timer, which normally just pauses for a few hours, while people have to get ready to do an awsome parachute jump?

Anyway, enjoyed it for what it was.
Completely disagree. I give zero fucks about retarded impossible giant mutant lizards. If this was a movie about Godzilla I would have asked for my money back.

This wasn't a monster movie it was a disaster flick. It would have been 10/10 if we had more Brian Cranston or Japanese scientist guy and a different actor for Lt EoD. Shit, it would have been better if it had less Godzilla. Like:

When Godzilla and Lt. Bomb guy have a heart to heart moment when Godzilla is crushed by that building. That shot was totally pointless and immersion killing. Lizards have no empathy. It's bullshit to show Godzilla connecting with a human because the fucker killed tens of thousands of people already.

Godzilla isn't a character he's a murder rape machine. He's a force of nature.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Himeo:

I think what they were going for was a sort of warrior code respect thing. Somehow the mother MUTO knew it was Lt. Bomb that lit up her babies, and somehow Godzilla knew it too and it was a look of respect for the guy doing battle. Then that was revisited when the MUTO was about to kill Lt. and he had his gun out, but Godzilla stepped in to finish her. Yeah its cheesy but the whole movie was so it fits. I just don't consider it "empathy" per se but a base understanding of doing battle.

Incidentally, people here are taking that handgun scene way too seriously. It was mostly comedy, he's shocked for a second to think he actually did something, then realizes it was Godzilla attacking. Even if you want to get hyper realistic about it, if you were at your end like that, then sure you might take a wild attempt to unload your side arm into her throat. Probably intentionally showed her mouth to fire into as well since the next shot is Godzilla puking nuke breath down that same throat.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah but...
is the hand gun scene that everyone's bitching about really that much different than the same scene in Saving Private Ryan? Tom Hanks has done what he could (kill the MUTO's Eggs), and then the Tank (MUTO) is still coming down on him. His only choice at that point, rather than to admit defeat, is to pull out a hand gun. Then amazingly a bomb (Godzilla) strikes the Tank (MUTO) and destroys it.

The end.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So... during the time from like the 50's until 2014 was Godzilla just hibernating in the ocean.. or... ???

Can't remember if they explained it at all.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well their explanation is that he's a predator against shit like the MUTOs, to keep the balance, so yeah the assumption is hibernation until he heard the mating calls.

Maebe_sl

shitlord
I liked it, I went to a good cinema and got good sound/video. As an big monster fighting film it involved big monstors fighting.
There were some silly bits but you kind of expect that with Hollywood.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What the Fuck Is Going on in ? | VICE United States

-Why is this movie marketed around Bryan Cranston?

-Could they not have built a more secure enclosure around the giant monster that eats radiation? Like a 100-foot thick concrete shell or something? They had 15 years.

-Why is that Japanese quarantine zone city so fucked up after 15 years if there was no actual radiation? Wouldn't leaving a city untouched for that long not really do anything?

-Why is it so easy to get into the quarantined area?

-Why not just kick Cranston and Generic Action Hero Guy out instead of driving them to go see the secret radioactive-monster bunker?

-How did the "Happy Birthday Dad" sign survive whatever destroyed the house?

-Also why is the "Happy Birthday Dad" sign hanging on the wall? They left the house before they could hang it up. Did he hang it up after coming home from watching his wife die horribly as some kind of sick joke on himself? Weird, dude. Really weird.

-Why did Godzilla only cause a tsunami that one time? Did he get better at swimming? Did he see the tsunami news footage and think, My bad?

-This movie has a scene with Bryan Cranston on a bridge in a nuclear facility, a scene on a train bridge, a scene on the Golden Gate Bridge, and a scene on a sky train (which is essentially a bridge). Why did so much movie take place on bridges? Is this a metaphor I'm not getting?

-If the warheads can be transported by helicopter, why not just do that in the first place? Fixing them both to something as linear as a train track seems kinda dumb.

-Why is Juliette Binoche in this movie?

-Why is Elizabeth Olsen in this movie?

-Why is Sally Hawkins in this movie? Did she even have any lines?

-Does that nuclear-waste-storage place inside the mountain not have any kind of monitoring systems to let them know that a massive chunk of the building has been ripped open? That seems like an oversight.

-Also, how did they not see/hear/feel the 300-foot-tall monster while they were driving across the desert?

-Why didn't the Golden Gate Bridge collapse after Godzilla severed the cables? What are those cables for if not support?

-After establishing that the MUTOs can disable electrical devices, why do they continue to devise plans to stop them that use electricity? If fighter jets didn't work on them in Hawaii, they're not going to work on them in San Francisco, either.

-Like, why did they use a boat that's powered by electricity for their big final plan even after the countless moments where the MUTOs use their fancy EMP powers to disable human defenses? Aren't there tons of boats that aren't reliant on electricity?

-Why didn't the kids get off the school bus and run instead of sitting there waiting for Godzilla to destroy the bridge they were sitting on?

-Why was it safer for the school bus full of kids to even be on the bridge in the first place? Weren't the underground subway stations easily the best place to hide from a bunch of giant monsters?

-Why did everyone buy that the first big MUTO attack was some kind of natural disaster? Does social media not exist in the film's universe?

-Isn't Ken Watanabe a scientist? Why is he so quick to shrug off any course of action with a "Don't worry about it; nature will sort itself out"? What is he basing that on? When has nature ever "sorted itself out"? Why is he being kept around? Can't someone more helpful be brought in to consult?

-Why is there a skyscraper full of office workers watching out of their window midway through the giant monster battle? Wouldn't you GTFO as soon as you saw the first building get destroyed? Were they on deadline?

-There are five minutes left on the bomb's timer when they put it on that boat, and the bomb on it has a blast radius of 20 miles. Did that boat travel at a rate of 240 MPH?

-Am I bad at math?

-Why does everyone like Godzilla so much? He presumably just killed tens of thousands of people, but the citizens of San Francisco act like he brought them all cake and there was enough for everyone to have two slices (which would be very generous of Godzilla).

-If the MUTOs can be impaled like that, why were they not injured more severely while being thrown through skyscrapers over and over again?

-If the Generic Action Hero Guy's only discernible skill is defusing bombs, why is he completely incapable of defusing a bomb when it counts the most? That's his ONLY job.

-Why was the Transamerica Pyramid the only landmark they DIDN'T destroy in San Francisco? Are ancient monsters sentimental?

-What does Godzilla do underwater? Presumably his only interest is fighting other monsters? Must get lonely/boring down there, right?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah but...
is the hand gun scene that everyone's bitching about really that much different than the same scene in Saving Private Ryan? Tom Hanks has done what he could (kill the MUTO's Eggs), and then the Tank (MUTO) is still coming down on him. His only choice at that point, rather than to admit defeat, is to pull out a hand gun. Then amazingly a bomb (Godzilla) strikes the Tank (MUTO) and destroys it.

The end.
Capital work old chap, I concur.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Actually, you're right. It is Mohr-Cox. My bad. And she's Nikki Mohr-Cox as well (even better).

jay-mohr-wallpaper-3-728648.jpg

Xevy

Log Wizard
What the Fuck Is Going on in ? | VICE United States

?Why is this movie marketed around Bryan Cranston? HE WON EMMY DUH

?Could they not have built a more secure enclosure around the giant monster that eats radiation? Like a 100-foot thick concrete shell or something? They had 15 years. IT WASNT MOVING AND THEY HAD A KILL PLAN THAT FAILED

?Why is that Japanese quarantine zone city so fucked up after 15 years if there was no actual radiation? Wouldn't leaving a city untouched for that long not really do anything? TROPICAL ISLANDS COULD HAVE TSUNAMI'S NATURALLY OCCURING; NO POPULATION NO CLEAN UP

?Why is it so easy to get into the quarantined area? BECAUSE WHY WOULD YOU GO INTO YOUR INSTANT RADIATION POISONED DEATH?

?Why not just kick Cranston and Generic Action Hero Guy out instead of driving them to go see the secret radioactive-monster bunker? BECAUSE IT'S A PLOT DEVICE

?How did the "Happy Birthday Dad" sign survive whatever destroyed the house? FREAL?

?Also why is the "Happy Birthday Dad" sign hanging on the wall? They left the house before they could hang it up. Did he hang it up after coming home from watching his wife die horribly as some kind of sick joke on himself? Weird, dude. Really weird. MAYBE SHE DID IT WHILE CRANSTON WAS IN THE CAR

?Why did Godzilla only cause a tsunami that one time? Did he get better at swimming? Did he see the tsunami news footage and think, My bad? ITS NOT ABOUT SWIMMING IT'S ABOUT WATER DISPLACEMENT! MAYBE MORE IDEAL GEOLOGY ON OTHER BEACHES

?This movie has a scene with Bryan Cranston on a bridge in a nuclear facility, a scene on a train bridge, a scene on the Golden Gate Bridge, and a scene on a sky train (which is essentially a bridge). Why did so much movie take place on bridges? Is this a metaphor I'm not getting? BRIDGES MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE THERE'S NO ESCAPE

?If the warheads can be transported by helicopter, why not just do that in the first place? Fixing them both to something as linear as a train track seems kinda dumb. MUTOS DISABLED FLYING THINGIES DERP. ONLY USED THE CHINOOK AT THE END B/C THEY WERE RUSHING

?Why is Juliette Binoche in this movie? $$$$$$$

?Why is Elizabeth Olsen in this movie? $$$$$$$$

?Why is Sally Hawkins in this movie? Did she even have any lines? $$$$$ WHO CARES

?Does that nuclear-waste-storage place inside the mountain not have any kind of monitoring systems to let them know that a massive chunk of the building has been ripped open? That seems like an oversight. IT OCCURRED AT THAT MOMENT HENCE WHY SUPER-BINOCULARS SAW IT NEAR LAS VEGAS

?Also, how did they not see/hear/feel the 300-foot-tall monster while they were driving across the desert? CAR RADIO PROBABLY TOO LOUD

?Why didn't the Golden Gate Bridge collapse after Godzilla severed the cables? What are those cables for if not support? PURDUE ENGINEERING

?After establishing that the MUTOs can disable electrical devices, why do they continue to devise plans to stop them that use electricity? If fighter jets didn't work on them in Hawaii, they're not going to work on them in San Francisco, either. DIDNT YOU JUST ASK THIS SHIT ABOUT THE TRAIN AND THE NUKE BUT OPPPOSITE?

?Like, why did they use a boat that's powered by electricity for their big final plan even after the countless moments where the MUTOs use their fancy EMP powers to disable human defenses? Aren't there tons of boats that aren't reliant on electricity? THEY GRABBED SOME RANDOM BOAT; DINGYS DONT DO WELL WITH HUGE NUKES ON THEM

?Why didn't the kids get off the school bus and run instead of sitting there waiting for Godzilla to destroy the bridge they were sitting on? BECAUSE THEY LISTEN TO THEIR BUS DRIVER LIKE GOOD PUBLIC SKOOL KIDZ

?Why was it safer for the school bus full of kids to even be on the bridge in the first place? Weren't the underground subway stations easily the best place to hide from a bunch of giant monsters? EVACUATION MEANS YOU LEAVE WHERE YOU ARE

?Why did everyone buy that the first big MUTO attack was some kind of natural disaster? Does social media not exist in the film's universe? BECAUSE THERE WASNT ANY FOOTAGE OF IT AND IT HAPPENED IN A QUARANTINED ZONE?

?Isn't Ken Watanabe a scientist? Why is he so quick to shrug off any course of action with a "Don't worry about it; nature will sort itself out"? What is he basing that on? When has nature ever "sorted itself out"? Why is he being kept around? Can't someone more helpful be brought in to consult? BIO REMEDIATION, BITCHES

?Why is there a skyscraper full of office workers watching out of their window midway through the giant monster battle? Wouldn't you GTFO as soon as you saw the first building get destroyed? Were they on deadline? I WOULD 100% WATCH THAT SHIT STADIUM SEATING STYLE

?There are five minutes left on the bomb's timer when they put it on that boat, and the bomb on it has a blast radius of 20 miles. Did that boat travel at a rate of 240 MPH? IIRC IT WAS ACTUALLY LIKE 13 MINUTES BUT 80MPH FOR A BOAT IS PRETTY FAST; RIP BEACH FRONT PROPERTY

?Am I bad at math? PROBABLY

?Why does everyone like Godzilla so much? He presumably just killed tens of thousands of people, but the citizens of San Francisco act like he brought them all cake and there was enough for everyone to have two slices (which would be very generous of Godzilla). MOTHERFUCKER JUST ICED TO GIANT COCKROACHES FUCKING PERCHING ON BUILDINGS AND SHIT! HE WALKED BETWEEN BUILDINGS WHEN HE WASNT ACTIVELY RUMBLING

?If the MUTOs can be impaled like that, why were they not injured more severely while being thrown through skyscrapers over and over again? OSTEODERM SPIKES ON 300 FT MONSTER BETTER THAN SHITTY STEEL AND GLASS

?If the Generic Action Hero Guy's only discernible skill is defusing bombs, why is he completely incapable of defusing a bomb when it counts the most? That's his ONLY job. HE COULDNT ACCESS THE PANEL OR HE SOOOOO WOULD HAVE!

?Why was the Transamerica Pyramid the only landmark they DIDN'T destroy in San Francisco? Are ancient monsters sentimental? NOT THE ONLY BUILDING! CANDLESTICK MADE IT AS WELL AS A BUNCH OF OTHERS

?What does Godzilla do underwater? Presumably his only interest is fighting other monsters? Must get lonely/boring down there, right? HE WAITS
I didn't even like this movie, but Jesus. It's like watching any action-thriller with my parents. "WAIT HOW DID HE DO THAT WASN'T THAT THING STILL IN HIS CAR?" every 3 minutes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually yeah, on that one point she said she'd hang it up herself or something early on when he was still on the phone.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Saw it. Liked it a lot. Obviously isn't going to stand up to the curmudgeon nitpick test but we enjoyed it. Great IMAX movie, though it did make the out-of-place sound mixing (aforementioned spooling Transformer noises) a lot more noticeable.