Going to College as an Adult

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I'm currently in the 2nd week of my "free" Walmart college education. I chose to go to Southern New Hampshire University due to their ease of admission.
The very first official class they required me to take is Liberal Arts. What a horseshit class. Anyway, we're required to make message board posts (inside of the college website) about topics we're reading. This is how they grade you for about 40% of your grade. I made this post the other day, but amazingly, I have had no responses to it.
This one? Online Academic Catalog
I always hated those message board post assignments. Was there a prompt? Assuming you're looking for comments on what you wrote...

You might not like a topic or disagree with the validity of the entire course, but I'm a pretty firm believer that any given situation/assignment/course/etc is what you make of it.

We already know the answer to that. Its the potato.

In other news, just got invited to do summer research in a lab doing deep learning in genomics. Very neat.
How dare you, Lumie is shining beacon in the darkness.
1621056697342.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Not trying to dis your choice of school, but my understanding is SNHU is in the same ballpark as Univ of Phoenix. All things being equal, maybe look to transfer to a state university somewhere. I know multiple people who did the U of P degrees and it might lead you to feel... underwhelmed. In my opinion any state university will provide you a better and more challenging experience than SNHU. Also you will get a higher caliber of student peers.
That's the goal. I need to have a minimum of 12 credits before I can transfer to Florida State. So I'm going with the easy school just to get those 12 credits with a high grade, then transfer over.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That doesn't matter as much for me. This is an online college from walmart. They're covering the bill, so if credit isn't given, I lose a semester or two to recoup the loss. That isn't too terrible in the long run.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you are thinking of transfering your credits maybe look at a couple of schools and look at their catalogs to see what is required for a degree you might like to pursue. Of course it comes down to chool you are transfering from and the school you are transfering to in the end but will give you an idea.

I started college out of school in IT (Industrial Technology) and the dean where I wound up going eventually whipped some paper to allow a number of credits to transfer into my degree that were nowhere on the list, not tied to my major. One of my drafting classes was subbed for surveying in my degree which was odd but whatever.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah I got a couple of credit hours for "life experience" type shit since I already owned a business.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Always go with Math and Science if you are taking things to transfer elsewhere. Algebra and Calc 1/2/3 are pretty much universal. Same with Geology 101, Physics 101, Economics, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
One A and three A+. What a bullshit fucking semester lol.

Anyway looks like my school might demand vaccines in the Fall so I am quitting. RIP. (there are online classes in CS department so I will take those + research "class" will be over zoom)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I really dont want to switch to a private school. So expensive :(