Going to College as an Adult

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
My answer is "it depends". It depends on each person's specific background and knowledge. For me? I learned jack shit. But I did 25 years with a big corporation (mostly in Mgt) and then opened my own businesses. I also have a background in Quant Econ Finance and Accounting (the finance and stats are what usually fuck up most MBA students).

Also, the idea of the BBA is to teach you how to do the task. The idea of the MBA is to teach you how to run the BBAs who are doing the task. It is supposed to be a higher level version of the BBA. Its not that the curriculum is bad (it wasn't), its just for me I had a good grasp of most of it from experience and previous college. That being said I learned shit in areas I wasn't strong in (like Marketing and Business Law).

There is zero chance I would recommend someone pay 50k+ for an MBA. I am doing my MBA at the University of Texas (Permian Basin) for 10k. Fully online and they charge no out of state tuition or online fees. For 10k, its worth it if you are in business for a living. Whether I agree or not, the reality is when people see MBA after your name they bow down if they dont have it and they welcome you into the club if they do have it. For 10k, its worth it for the doors it might open.

About what I expected to hear. Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Lol 60% of my Operating Systems class got a D or below on the first test which means they all failed and probably will fail the rest. Turning what should be a case study and hands on programming class into rote memorization garbage is a travesty but the professor doesnt care. He said he is an adjunct, the college doesnt pay him enough and so he doesnt care and to deal with it. Sure glad the college hired a bunch of administrators instead of paying the adjuncts more. Oh well, I got the second highest grade in class with a spicy 89 lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lol 60% of my Operating Systems class got a D or below on the first test which means they all failed and probably will fail the rest. Turning what should be a case study and hands on programming class into rote memorization garbage is a travesty but the professor doesnt care. He said he is an adjunct, the college doesnt pay him enough and so he doesnt care and to deal with it. Sure glad the college hired a bunch of administrators instead of paying the adjuncts more. Oh well, I got the second highest grade in class with a spicy 89 lol.
The only class I ever had that was hard solely due to rote memorization was stupid-ass Econometrics II. The applications of Econometrics is cool and the project was fun. But the tests were bullshit. Derp derp regurgitate a page long equation but don't actually use it. You just need to be able to write the entire thing from memory.

And that is the story of how I got a 120% in Econometrics II because I happen to be quite good at rote memorization (thank you Defense Language Institute!). My spicy 95% on both exams when most of the class got like 40%. Which then curved up hard.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Linear regression formula?
This was a decade ago so I've completely forgotten them. You had to memorize the various regression statistics formulas as well as the higher economics value equations like you'd do in Macro II. I blame this on the instructor, who was a barely comprehensible Korean.

• 1Like

sindaael

<Banned>
In modern times, according to my radar there are many suicides around. In the US at least, there are not many Americans left. This was a tragic ending for me at least. Came from the depth of time to modern days, I am grasping for the wind. If God says this is my place in the world, then it is. But the forces made sure they made it as bad as possible for me.

This was the college agenda that I was talking about. Ranking last, plus one round of insult. This is the revelation. It's going to carry on into hell.

• 1WTF
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
In modern times, according to my radar there are many suicides around. In the US at least, there are not many Americans left. This was a tragic ending for me at least. Came from the depth of time to modern days, I am grasping for the wind. If God says this is my place in the world, then it is. But the forces made sure they made it as bad as possible for me.

This was the college agenda that I was talking about. Ranking last, plus one round of insult. This is the revelation. It's going to carry on into hell.
I too smoked a lot of pot in college.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

canadian wtf GIF by CBC

• 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My operating systems final is Monday and I am so over it. What a boring ass class, holy shit. I am taking 4 physics classes in the fall just to bleach my brain. I whined here about orgo a year ago but at least that was interesting if difficult. This garbage is boring and not difficult, just tedious as fuck. At least genetics is cool though I am a bit too advanced for this level of material. This Operating Systems garbage is exactly the type of class why I never finished CS degree to begin with. Remove the math from these classes and this shit is sleep inducing dull.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My operating systems final is Monday and I am so over it. What a boring ass class, holy shit. I am taking 4 physics classes in the fall just to bleach my brain. I whined here about orgo a year ago but at least that was interesting if difficult. This garbage is boring and not difficult, just tedious as fuck. At least genetics is cool though I am a bit too advanced for this level of material. This Operating Systems garbage is exactly the type of class why I never finished CS degree to begin with. Remove the math from these classes and this shit is sleep inducing dull.
How to use them or how to program them?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How to use them or how to program them?
Definitely not about how to use them. It's about how an operating system manages resources and which algorithms are used to optimize different aspects of this process. There should be programming in this class to simulate mini systems but this teacher decided not to bother.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have survived the operating systems class and will end up with an A- unless there is another crazy curve (likely). Fuck this faggot class with a aids riddled cock; I have never taken anything so boring in my life and I have a year worth of accounting under my belt. Now I need to finish genetics which is pretty excellent except for the lack of an actual hands on lab. No lab makes me sad in pants, our lab TA is just telling us what we would have done and providing with pre generated data. So I am doing that for the rest of the summer plus, as of today I have started doing bioinformatics research in a machine learning lab which so far involves porting bunch of tools to the server and to the jupyter notebooks there are there(no idea why they want this and this is boring but whatever, its a start). I will also start reviewing classical mechanics and c++ for the fall because now I am registered for Parallel Computing, Theoretical physics (this is all math), Numerical Methods 2 (more math), Atomic and Nuclear physics (no idea what the fuck this is really but I do enjoy atoms and their structure) and Statistical thermodynamics (ez). Plus more of that lab work mentioned above. The math graduate program isnt offering anything I care about more than the above classes so I am skipping any actual math classes.

My body is ready. My mind is most likely not.

• 1Like