Going to College as an Adult

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure someone from Stanford or CMU is much more likely to be competent in whatever tech field he is applying to than someone from Wesley College. Not to mention some jobs target only specific schools for their new hires. School name is a signaling device.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's makes sense since the HR wonk won't be able to speak the lingo in the Tech field. My HR people are present for my interviews but I mainly use them to make sure I don't make a legal mistake (like writing notes on a copy of the resume) and provide me their thoughts from the HR perspective.
To be fair, that may have been what my brother was doing as well. I know when he worked at the previously mentioned tech company in WA that it was a three person team that conducted interviews.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
To be fair, that may have been what my brother was doing as well. I know when he worked at the previously mentioned tech company in WA that it was a three person team that conducted interviews.
to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It would make me quite salty at any company if hiring was like
  • Interview 1: Talent Acquisition Screens -> Thumbs up
  • Interview 2: Hiring manager -> Thumbs up
  • Interview 3: Final interview(s) with Team Lead/Lead Engineer or whatever -> Thumbs up
  • HR -> Final decision maker despite having nothing to do with the rest of it. Just gets to read the feedback from 1-3 and can make a decision regardless of what happened.
If you had some other issue that would make you unhireable (felonies or something) that would be discovered during onboarding if you failed to disclose it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, I ended up not only getting the scholarship I wanted but got their max payout on it. My next semester is now already paid for in full and that’s pretty awesome.

• 5Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Scholarships are a racket. People used to ask me why I bothered working to keep a 4.0 gpa while I chuckled and cruised all the merit based scholarships and applied for all of them.
Haha yeah. It’s just something I never thought I’d be able to do. I still think back on how awful of a student I was years ago and look now. Feel some pride in this that’s for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I was legit proud of seeing my name posted on the wall of the President's List every semester. My wife asked me why it mattered one day and I told her it was like PVP. Here I was working full-time, college full-time and I could still beat all those sad noobs and teabag the fuckers' corpses.
facts.

not a week doesn't go by that I don't have something come up in my group me chats for a class where kids are stressing about things, or not knowing how to do an assignment when everything is literally in the ruberic. I try to tell myself I'm sure I was like that at 18-21 too....but some days its hard to convince myself with some of the things they go on about.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I can't even try to imagine what college groups are going to be like now that schools are no longer requiring SAT/ACT scores. They were barely room temperature IQ before.

mine still does. They didn’t for one year during the full year of home school but now for high school aged kids it’s required again.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There was a post in one of the politics threads about some analysis of IQ trends of those entering college. Shits down 10 points.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My brother is one of the VP's of HR for a major ivy league school (and has been an upper-end HR person with major companies like Boeing and a few others) and he's told me they absolutely look at what school people went to, and placed like UoP don't even get considered most of the time.
I've been recruiting people for 15 years now and anything from a diploma mill (University of Phoenix, Colorado Tech University, American Intercontinental University, etc.) goes straight in the trash.

The process was a pain in the ass already when you get 100s of applicants for one job. Needed as many filters as possible to make it manageable

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I think I may have 4.0'ed my research and quantitative studies class, though if not for the ability to retake the exams multiple times I surly would have failed.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm moving into a college town and have thought about taking some classes in the industry that I provide software.

I have a ton of operational knowledge just from years of working with my customers, but I'd be interested in building relationships with the kids graduating today and whatever else I might be able to learn. I also know a professor that might let me audit his classes maybe.

Then I've also thought about taking some welding courses at the community college, bc that just seems badass and I think it'd be fun.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
All grades in, finished the semester with four 4.0s and a 3.5 that I missed a 4.0 on by 1%.

Since my cumulative 4.0 was ruined last semester with a 3.5, this one doesn't hurt as much.

42 more credits (three semesters) and I'm done...with my undergrad at least.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Got an email today from one of the department heads of college at the university I go to, and they asked me to join a committee to search for a new Dean of my college in the fall. So that's pretty cool, I thought anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Got an email today from one of the department heads of college at the university I go to, and they asked me to join a committee to search for a new Dean of my college in the fall. So that's pretty cool, I thought anyway.

It means you've made an excellent impression. Way to go!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like