Going to College as an Adult

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Some updates;

1) My intern director at my school said I could just count my work hours at my job as my intern hours which si great since I work 50-60 hours a week currently depending on if I am on call that week. However, the CFO at my job, who is also the intern coordinator for us said no, she wasn't going to let me do that. She made this decision a week ago and told me to hold off on my internship until spring and do it spring and fall of 2023.

Two issues here, fall of 2023 is my undergrad graduation date and that cuts it super close if any shenanigans with my internship crop up. So she told me to take some other classes this fall instead, which, I mean...yeah...great idea....if it wasn't a month till the new semester starts and all relevant classes I'd want to take are full.

So that's got me pretty annoyed. As soon as I get my degree I'm going to get out of the nonprofit game and try and work for the state. While my direct boss is awesome, there's not a ton else within the organization at this point I'm super excited about.

2) Much like any university, we have multiple colleges within it. I was one of two students asked to serve on the search committee for a new dean of my college, which is pretty cool. That'll look great on my grad school application. I'll also be serving on the Deans Student Advisory Committee (DSAC) again (which coordinates with the two Deans (one atm) on ways to improve student life, as well as my college's disciplinary committee that will oversee grievances the Ombudsperson forwards on, decisions they make and students appeal. I served as Vice Chair of DSAC last semester and am looking forward to serving again, and am looking forward to the other two things as well.

3) After this semester I will have all college-required courses for my degree done, but won't have the 120 credits for graduation. Since being in Honors College makes it so I don't have to take the usual general courses for ISB and IAH, I'm going to have to fill like 30 credits with BS....but nothing too BS as I still need to take two honors courses after this semester.

That's about it, I really enjoy school. More so than I ever thought I would. I think after I get my Masters I would like to teach some community college classes as a side gig.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Fill in your credits with a few classes on gender studies and the social aspects being a person of color. Grad schools will be beating down your door with those on your resume.

ps.. I am only half joking about this, sadly.

Ha, I mean you aren’t wrong in part. I’ll be attending grad school at the same university and I’m 99.9% certain I’ll be easily accepted at this point. But every bit helps.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Flint? As in Michigan?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Finishing grading my first quiz. These kids arent making it to next semester. (Fucking 172 students jesus h christ.)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Are you a GTA just doing the grading for your Professor? If so, wait for the joy when he decides at the end of the semester that everyone passes so he doesn't have to explain his low student survey scores to the department chair. I remember the first time that happened to me. It wasn't a pleasant experience.
I am pretty sure this is a weed out class so hopefully that won’t happen. And hopefully these potatoes will come to tutoring hours so we can help them. This shit is about to get very mathy and they are going to drown without help. Class size is like 210 students and I am willing to bet that half will drop and become business majors or something.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I am pretty sure this is a weed out class so hopefully that won’t happen. And hopefully these potatoes will come to tutoring hours so we can help them. This shit is about to get very mathy and they are going to drown without help. Class size is like 210 students and I am willing to bet that half will drop and become business majors or something.
Didn’t see that it was mentioned above, what class?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Didn’t see that it was mentioned above, what class?
It's the first course of a three course sequence for CS majors in Computer architecture. Which in this school is entirely about boolean circuits so it gets mathy and abstract real quick. These kids can't even follow basic test instructions. Half the class will drop and a third will fail.

The only time i ever saw kids come to my office hours was the week before finals and they were begging me to help them not fail the class. Every. Single. Semester.
Yeah I am not holding my breath.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This semester has been off to a crazy start.

Last semester I was Vice Chair for the Deans Student Advisory Committee (a group that works with the dean of my specific college to improve student life...DSAC for short). I joined just to pad my graduate school application that I'll be filing next year. During the summer I was asked to be the student representative for the committee for the school's Teacher-Scholar award. Basically a $7k award for teachers that are not tenured, along with another scholarship committee for professors to use towards research. It was a pretty cool experience and wasn't super demanding.

Well that leads into this semester and I am once again serving with DSAC for my second term (can only do 2) and I was asked to serve on 3 Academic Hearing Boards (Academic Misconduct Board, Academic Grievance Board, and the Academic Appeals Board) for my specific college. So that's gonna keep me busy as I already have two hearings approaching in the next week or two but the big one was I am also serving on the Search Committee for Dean of my specific college. This was a big enough deal that I had professors I've never met emailing me, thanking me for serving on this board. My first day of class I had two professors thank me personally as well, one of which I had never met either. I already have more than enough recommendations for graduate school because of this, and it was honestly a little overwhelming.

I'm hopeful that I can continue this course and after I get my graduate degree, swing into a job at the university. One professor asked if I ever planned on working there and if so to let her know and she would write me a recommendation.

I love the field I'm going into, but education has also always been a passion and if I can combine both of them, I would be so happy.

Anyway, this semester is going to be busy as hell, but honestly, I love every second of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users