Going to College as an Adult

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Stony Brook is the pride of the Long Island medical community. They don't care about anything that isn't medicine.

Those mother fuckers made me spend 8 hours in the hospital when I was 14 and burned my leg when my dirtbike fell on me and I couldn't get up. Tailpipe gave me first, second and third degree burns from my knee to my ankle and they wanted to bring all the students around to study all 3 types of burns.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Stony Brook is the pride of the Long Island medical community. They don't care about anything that isn't medicine.
They have a pretty amazing Applied Math department. Jim Simons, of RenTech fame, built it up to be a monster powerhouse when he ran it and it still remains one of the top graduate schools in applied math.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Awesome link. Ty. Traveling to the city for class would suck balls, but at least it's there. Queens College would be the "closest", but they do have 1 or 2 sessions of advanced Calc at night. First time I have seen it offered at night. I never checked CUNY because of the travel time.
Fair warning. Math isn't what you think it is if all you ever taken were freshman and junior classes like Calc. If you are considering advanced calculus, make sure you are comfortable with formal logic.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Added benefit of going to college as an adult. When you just need a break and a few minutes of privacy around the house just whip out the "I need to go take a quiz in the office. Be back as soon as I am done". Straight money.
Or date 20 year olds. They need time to study too. :D

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, finished my 1st year in a University on Friday. Two more years and I'll have my degree (online credits from SNHU also apply here)

I was an awful student in high school and never gave myself much credit with anything. So now that I am going to college as a 40 year old full time (18 credits this semester) who also works two jobs on top of it, I've really been working hard to push myself to do well, not only to put myself in a better position but for the self-satisfaction as well in knowing I was capable of it back then had I just applied myself.

Healthwise this semester has been really hard, COVID, oral surgery and kidney issues...I still managed to pull out a 4.0 for both semesters. I'm so proud of myself. feels good man.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 6 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Only advice I will give is try not to push TOO hard. 18 credits is a serious load, especially if you end up with multiple writing or group project assignments (where you are the only one who does anything). Great job. I am starting my last two classes for my MBA on Monday.

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN
Thanks!

And I took 18 because of the classes, none of them were heavy workload classes. The semester before I took 15 when that was filled with more writing classes. Next semester, I'll be doing 12-15. Right now I'm registered for 15 but I may cut it down. I'm now an honors student so I no longer have to take IAH or ISP classes, so that's awesome as hell and worth the extra work involved...in fact, without the IAH classes, I'd argue it'll be less work involved.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Thanks!

And I took 18 because of the classes, none of them were heavy workload classes. The semester before I took 15 when that was filled with more writing classes. Next semester, I'll be doing 12-15. Right now I'm registered for 15 but I may cut it down. I'm now an honors student so I no longer have to take IAH or ISP classes, so that's awesome as hell and worth the extra work involved...in fact, without the IAH classes, I'd argue it'll be less work involved.
I will second what Sanrith said. A few semesters ago I overloaded myself on credits and difficult classes (fuck you organic chem), and the semester after I had zero desire to go back. The burn out was real and I skipped the spring and summer semester because of it.

As for my classes currently, was just informed that my computational bio project has been canceled because "some people are struggling due to covid" and instead we are just getting a final in the form of another homework. I have been eyeing this class for two years and it turned into a dull and easy turd. The Dead Sea has less salt in it than I currently do.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I was going to take and class or two over the summer but I decided against it. I figured I’d take the time to recharge. I think it was a good decision, already excited about not having to worry about assignments for the next few months.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was going to take 2 classes over the summer but I decided on a single one. Molecular genetics should be fun.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Maybe you can be the one to finally decipher what type of plant Lumie is descended from.
We already know the answer to that. Its the potato.

In other news, just got invited to do summer research in a lab doing deep learning in genomics. Very neat.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I'm currently in the 2nd week of my "free" Walmart college education. I chose to go to Southern New Hampshire University due to their ease of admission.
The very first official class they required me to take is Liberal Arts. What a horseshit class. Anyway, we're required to make message board posts (inside of the college website) about topics we're reading. This is how they grade you for about 40% of your grade. I made this post the other day, but amazingly, I have had no responses to it.

Right off the bat, I'll put the statement out there that I don't have a lot of faith in social sciences. This is mainly due to my own perception that the opinions of social sciences on any given topic change like the wind blows. In the same stance, you can usually put concrete proof on why natural science have their measurable conclusions. With that in mind, let's look at air pollution. This is an immense topic that I simply do not have the knowledge to tackle on my own, so I can give a brief response based off of two articles about the topic.

First up, the economic debt of $225 billion in lost labor income as the direct result of people who died from the effects of air pollution. This seems very scientific in its findings, but at the same time, it's oddly vague. The $225 billion appears to be how much the global economy (IE - the production and consumption of goods and services) lost in 2013. It's a very intangible idea. Is that money in the form of taxes the government could earn? Losses in sales for businesses? It's vague. That said, $225 billion is a very large number, but not that much if you look at it in a global setting. We have $7.9 billion people in the world. The basic math on that says it's losing $28.48 per person in the globe. That sounds like not much using America as a base, but in other countries, that is a lot of money.

Next we look at how trees are able to handle cutting down on pollution (which doesn't at all factor in to the $225 billion lost to the economy). I don't understand any of the numbers listed, so I can't really explain anything. There are 3 different types of trees described. They also describe the ability to fight pollution in drought season, as well as the best possible water conditions. Some types of trees have great results in perfect water conditions, but perform virtually nothing in droughts. Which type of tree works better for a given area, based off of their climate? And how much does that really effect the $225 billion loss on the global economy, if everything globally was perfect with a tree's ability to "eat" pollution?

This topic appears way over my head, so I can't really speculate any farther than those basic points.
In closing, I lean much stronger on a physical science approach, but at the same time, the volume of information is overwhelming for me.