Gold Rush (Discovery)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Turin does this for the gold fever. His family own some big operation, they are the ones that loaned him half a mil last year.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ya half of that he probably made last season when they did well. I remember reading him and his father were basically con artists and have left a large wake of fucked over people in there path. Let's also not forget how on the first season of gold rush he almost killed her daughter by letting her drink strait from the river up in alaska, she got giardia or some shit and had to get medevac'd down to Anchorage.

I'm glad they ended up getting tony on the show, he seems to know how to get shit done while being entertaining. I'm pretty tired of the golden child parker.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That site also says that Freddy Dodge has 400k. That definitely seems wrong with those nuggets he was pulling out last season.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Depends on how much he owed on equipment rentals/leases.
This is what gets me. Every season they show their final haul in gold as if it is pure profit. By the time you whittle down equipment costs, especially burning shit tons of fuel 24/7, flights, food, etc etc.. Keep in mind you have to pay taxes on that income! I do not see each of them making all that much. Same shit with Deadliest Catch.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depends on how much he owed on equipment rentals/leases.
Yes you can make a lot of money gold mining but you also are spending a shitload to get that. I can easily see 400k in profit after all is said and done even in a good year.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is what gets me. Every season they show their final haul in gold as if it is pure profit. By the time you whittle down equipment costs, especially burning shit tons of fuel 24/7, flights, food, etc etc.. Keep in mind you have to pay taxes on that income! I do not see each of them making all that much. Same shit with Deadliest Catch.
Deadliest catch often times breaks down what the deck hands make per hand so it gives a bit more hard figures of at least what the workers are getting. The captains is a trickier issue because they get a bigger share so they at very least are making more than any crewman and then there is the boats share for operating costs. It is my understanding though that all the crew wages come out only after the boats expenses for fuel and what not are paid. If those costs are not met the deck hands could potentially get nothing. So when you see the final pay outs thats all a percentage of the profit of the boat over operating expenses in theory.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also on gold rush although it does not show up in the graphics if you pay attention usually the mine owners make some mention of what their break even point cash wise is for how much gold they need before they start turning profit for the season. Like last year parker for as much as he was bitching about tony actually made a pretty solid cash season. He had enough after the season that if he chose to he could have purchased land for himself. Given his crew upheaval he pretty wisely chose to bite bullet and do another season with tony. He may gripe but hey you don't own the land so yes you are working for "the man" but do it well enough and next season he should be able to purchase his own land without risking to much debt.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The problem with the break even point is that it is being simplified for T.V. All that machinery uses tons of gas and if you have to run way more dirt then the other guy then 100 ounces is way more expensive for you to get then the other guy. I do not know if they lock in a deal for a certain amount of gas like many people do with propane but I would expect how much they pay can also fluctuate greatly. The gold itself also has wild swings in price and can effect the break even point. I would guess it takes Todd way more money to get the same amount of gold as parker since Todd is a fucking dumbass.

I would love for them to get more in depth with the costs but there is no chance and hell any miner is gonna be honest about that because they probably want to hide as much profit as possible.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I always wonder what people on these shows get paid just for being on the show. I was watching that Alaskan Bush people show and they are building their house out of junk tires and agonizing over spending $5000 on a boat but I keep thinking that these guys are the only people on this TV show and they all pool their money. Shouldn't they at least be pocketing like $50k an episode? I read that the Dakota boys also left Gold Rush partially because of how much they were getting paid, but money from the show never seems to get taken into consideration for any of these shows.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure but I thought I read somewhere that some of the real housewives reality people can make like 500k a season.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not very shocking prediction...Tony might not pull most gold out of the ground this season, but he'll make the most profit (assuming you're not counting it against what he paid for the dredge last year).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with the break even point is that it is being simplified for T.V. All that machinery uses tons of gas and if you have to run way more dirt then the other guy then 100 ounces is way more expensive for you to get then the other guy. I do not know if they lock in a deal for a certain amount of gas like many people do with propane but I would expect how much they pay can also fluctuate greatly. The gold itself also has wild swings in price and can effect the break even point. I would guess it takes Todd way more money to get the same amount of gold as parker since Todd is a fucking dumbass.

I would love for them to get more in depth with the costs but there is no chance and hell any miner is gonna be honest about that because they probably want to hide as much profit as possible.
This is actually tony beats goal with the dredges. If you have the land you can use them on the dredges costs per yard are MUCH lower than any of the other claims. The dredging system is VERY economical and so even if they don't get the volume of gold some of the others do they are also spending a ton less to acquire it.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
Yeah the look on Todd's face when Tony told him how much fuel he uses in an hour was great. And then Todd's response, "I go through that every second..." (Or maybe it was every minute, but still lol)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if tony keeps getting an ounce an hour using 10 gallons and 5 guys he's going to buy another dredge by the end of the season for sure. the difference on margins vs his other operations must be astronomical, like in the 1000's of percentages.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
if tony keeps getting an ounce an hour using 10 gallons and 5 guys he's going to buy another dredge by the end of the season for sure. the difference on margins vs his other operations must be astronomical, like in the 1000's of percentages.
And when they get the bugs worked out they won't even need 5 guys to run it, he said it was normally ran by just 2 people. Crazy

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I missed last weeks episode but I've been seeing commercials saying Todd is back to reclaim his kingdom. What kingdom? He's been a shit show

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like Tony doesn't want the show around his normal mining operation. For the most part his portion of the show is always away from his regular stuff.(granted I haven't seen all of the episodes)
Show bought Tony a dredge, Tony still won't let them near his regular business.