Good Anime Movies

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Paprika was awesome.

The DVD for this has english subtitles or spoken language, whichever way you want it.

Szlia

That thread comes at an interesting time because I was considering starting a similar one. I saw several anime movies recently and realized I had not seen much in the past few years (and they are very rarely distributed in theater around here if they are not by Ghibli), so I made a list of 50ish movies released in the past 3 years and started digging. Brief comments incoming for the good ones, I let you right click google the titles to know more:

Note: my rating system: yuck, meh, and then one to four stars. I only list here recent movies that were three or four stars.

Kaguya Hime no Monogartari (Tales of the Princess Kaguya): Ghibli by Takahata, based on the oldest known written japanese fiction or something. A poor bambou cutter find a little princess that turns into a human baby and decides to make a princess out of her. A pretty impressive hand-drawn children book look to it with remarkable animation (there is notably a flight sequence in the middle of the movie that is breath taking). The story is pretty dark and feels like a compilation of folk tales (no surprise at it's what it is) more than a well built coherent story, but still three stars.

Momo e no Tegami (A Letter to Momo): By the director of Jin-Roh but with preciously nothing in common. It's a coming of age movie centered on a 13 year old girl moving with her mom to an island in japanese inner sea. It takes a turn toward the fantasy/comedy as the old house they movie in is haunted by spirits. But what do they want?? The resolution is a bit over the top, which is strange because the rest of the movie is very subtle and amusing. Three stars.

Koto no Ha no Niwa (The Garden of Words): 50ish minutes movie by Makoto Shinkai that chronicles the meetings of a young woman and a teenager in a park on rainy days. The very subtle, delicate and original writing of Shinkai along with spectacular production (the backgrounds are 2D painting based on photos that are sometimes mapped on 3D models, it's jaw dropping stuff time and time again). Three stars.

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children): Let's start by the problem. This is a werewolf story (or more exactly a story involving werewolves), the character design for the wolf forms is a bit crap and at times (luckily very rarely) it steps dangerously into furry territory. Other than that, it is an amazing movie about the struggles of a single mom and about choosing the life you want to live. What surprised me the most though is the quality, inventiveness and grace of the film making. Four stars!

Niijiro Hotaru (Rainbow Fireflies): A kid who lost his father has an accident and is sent several decades in the past to live the last summer of a village that will be sunken by a dam. Strange premise and strange character design for this coming of age story that never really goes were you expect it. Including in its epilogue that turns into a grand final. Three stars.

Kokurikozaka kara (From Up On Poppy Hill): Ghibli by Miyazaki (Gor? no Hayao). It's a teenage students romance set in the early 60s. It is absolutely brilliant, because the story is both haunted by the long lasting consequences of WWII and energized by a post war generation that has an unquenchable thirst to live. Four stars!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Summer Wars, Sword of the Stranger, Cowboy Bebop Movie (just cause). There's a lot of decent and okay ones out there but Ghibli has a monopoly on the really good visual storytelling ones.

Szlia

Let me list some older and less slice-of-life'ish movies:

Akira and Ghost in the Shell got mentioned already, so let me add:

PatlaborandPatlabor 2: The first is a detective story of sorts and the second is a refection on war. Giant robots in both, but not exactly action packed.

The Castle of Cagliostro: This is the ultimate action/adventure/romance/comedy/fun movie. A young Miyazaki at the helm of these crazy adventures of a thief trying to steal a mysterious treasure as well as the heart of a princess. Probably a bit dated technically, but it's Lupin the 3rd!

Macross Plus: The Movie: Giant robots, drama, future pop, the ghosts of youth and the love of flight. Shinichir? 'Cowboy Be-Bop' Watanabe co-directs, Y?ko Kanno on the soundtrack, what a ride!

Mind Game: The strangest comedy, mixing art styles and animation techniques to tell the psychedelic story of a loser in search for the meaning of his life (includes a trip to the heavens and being swallowed by a whale). Expect the unexpected in the most Bill Plymptonian of anime!

Perfect Blue: Hitchcockian thriller by the late Satoshi Kon about a stalked japanese idol... or is it about an idol becoming crazy? Or both? A bit roughly animated, but dark, poignant and allready packed with Kon's brillance.

Tokyo Godfathers: A hobo, a transvestite and a runaway girl find a baby in a dumpster... it's a christmas movie! Probably the less Kon'ian of Kon's movies, but a funny comedy and heartwarming tale all the same.

Ninja Scroll: ninja + fantasy + a healthy dose of blood and sex. Need I say more?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya) my wife watched the series, i didn't, with that i don't think you need the series to follow the movie.

No OVA's right?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Going to second Sword of the Stranger and Ninja Scroll - You can also try the Tales of Vesperia movie if you liked/know of the game.

roger_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to jap animations, recent i saw was albator and it was pretty nostalgic.

Some little youtube picks.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
All the movies from Satoshi Kon are awesome, perfect blue, millenium actress, tokyo godfathers, paprika. Haven't seen : Beyond the Cloud : the promised land mentionned, which is a good SF anime, Wonderful Days was also quite nice. Armitage if you enjoy oldschool cyberpunk. I do like Final Fantasy : Spirits within, didn't like the other FF movie as much. You can check Tales of Earthsea if you enjoyed Ursula K. Le Guin book.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you're looking for something really new, Appleseed Alpha was pretty good. It's a prequel to Appleseed (2004), and not nearly as good as that one, but I found it entertaining enough. About the only criticism I had about the CGI is that the mo-cap stuff looks really good while everything else that had to be animated by hand seems to have too few frames.

Something else I didn't see mentioned yet: Black Rock Shooter. Definitely a style-over-substance anime, but I don't care. That's exactly what I look for.

khorum

Murder Apologist
There's a ton of new CG anime like Appleseed Alpha and Captain Harlock... none have been particularly good. Anime's in a lost decade now, which is a shame since the 90's were considered the second golden age of japanese cinema pretty much solely because of anime. I blame moe waifu and tsundere shit.... even the deconstructionist moe shit is still moe shit. All the recent tsundere stuff is derivative of the worst harem shit from the 90s too.

EDIT as far as recs go, dunno if anyone's recommended Wings of Honneamise yet. Arguably Gainax at its hand-drawn best whichyou can watch on Hulu subbed in its entirety. It's basically about a fictional country's dysfunctional, underfunded space program and its first attempt to get a man in orbit.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess I haven't really looked that closely. The last fully-CG movie I watched before Appleseed Alpha was the Tekken movie (which was awful). Appleseed just caught my eye because it was featured on PS Store for a while and I'm a huge fan of the 2004 movie.

Can't really disagree about the rest, though not for quite the same reasons. For normal full-season anime I used to watch at least 3-4 things per season, now I often go 3-4 seasons without watching any of it at all. Still possible for things to surprise me now and then though; Kill la Kill for instance.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh yeah just caught Kill La Kill recently actually. I loved Dead Leaves to hell but somehow Kill La Kill kinda got under the radar for me.

Szlia

I just saw Starship Troopers: Invasion the other day and that's a CG movie by the same director and the same studio as the 2004 Appleseed movie, the recent Appleseed Alpha and the CG Captain Harlock. ST:I was so lame (even if you don't take the scenario and the voice acting into account) that it certainly did not make me want to see any of the others.

To put good animes into this post I'll add another couple slice of life ones:

Tonari no Yamada-kun (My Neighbors the Yamada): Lesser known Ghibli movie by Takahata, based on a comic strip about the every day life of a family. Very funny and still, at times, poignant and even inspiring. Very original 'fast sketch' visual style.

By?sohu 5 senchim?toru (5 centimeters per second): 60ish minutes drama by Makoto Shinkai. Three short stories: a kid goes on a trip to meet his girl neighbor who moved away, two teenagers flirt with each other, a lonely man wonder what became of the woman he loved. Masterful tearjerker, technically top notch and with one of the best anime song ever (along with the likes of Voices in Macross Plus).

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Back in the 1980's anime was a lot different. There was a lot of stuff for adult men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_City_(1987_film)

From Wikipedia, Makie is taken prisoner by a tentacle to be punished for her "crimes" against the Black World by being repeatedly raped

Good visuals, story is pretty good. Misogynistic as hell. It's almost 30 years old so the animation is a little wonky.