GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Fadaar

That guy
So something I wondered during the episode -- Arya called Jon Snow her half brother and didn't get slapped for it. Is that because she truly believes he's Ned Stark's son (because she actually doesn't know any better if it turns out he isn't) or is it a possible nod to him ACTUALLY being his son? Probably the former, just something I caught.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I liked the dialog from the book because it really showed that these kingsguard guys were total unapologetic badasses. The matter of fact way they state that they would have pushed Ned's shit in had they been there is awesome. And "Our knees do not bend easily." Maybe thats a rehash from 300, but it was cool when I read it. And "the Kingsguard does not flee". That shit is just cool, it displays some moral absolutism that you don't see much. Jamie killed the king because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. The thing for these guys to do is to surrender. But they're going to go down fighting because they swore a vow. They honored their vow, even if they weren't on the right side of the conflict. It gives you a lot of respect for them, and it makes the scene a lot more poignant and sad because you know they have to kill the "good" guys even though they're on the "bad" side, and doing whats right.
This is exactly why I didn't like the dialogue change. It did show moral absolutism for that day and age and gives a stark (hah) contrast to the knights of present. It absolutely removed all the impact from that scene. I don't care about the stupid fighting or even that people got cut it just took a brilliant look at the past and made it completely pointless.

But I think you guys are right in that none of that would really have come across on the show, because nobody is going to know the history of what happened there or who these guys are. So ideally, yes I would have liked to see the scene. Realistically I can see why they chopped it.
I definitely think it would have hit home still. Every one remembers the knights of old as being Paragon's of virtue. That scene shows three of them in the book. Compare that to the oath breakers and cowards that wear the white during the war and I think viewers would have appreciated it.

Edit : Elurin if you watch the scene again you can see very quick shots of their white cloaks being worn and then on the ground.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I did a bit of digging and Ned has straight said that Howland saved him and he couldn't defeat Dayne in 1v1 combat. However it isn't like facts are always obeyed when the masses have latched onto a story.
Good looking out. Been awhile since I read the books but I swore no one ever really said he won 1 on 1. Seemed more the story was always "it took 7 guys to overcome the 3, and only 2 of us made it out alive". Show definitely did a good job showing how much of a badass Dayne was, even if he was dual wielding.

Szlia

Still not shown this season: Bronn, Littlefinger, the illegitimate son of King Robert (lol), Osha and Rickon (not shown in season 5 though?), White Walkers, Olenna Tyrell (and her husband), Sam and Gilly...
Bronn, Littlefinger, Gendry and White Walkers still on the list. I am surprised by three of the four.

On a side note, the flashback machine is an easy but good device to unveil mysteries and manage rhythm (lacking action this episode? No Problemo: let's do a flashback to a fight scene!).

Braen

<Medals Crew>
S0UrkFC.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So something I wondered during the episode -- Arya called Jon Snow her half brother and didn't get slapped for it. Is that because she truly believes he's Ned Stark's son (because she actually doesn't know any better if it turns out he isn't) or is it a possible nod to him ACTUALLY being his son? Probably the former, just something I caught.
The faceless men aren't omnisicient, there would have to be a really damn good reason for them to know Jon's parentage.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I did a bit of digging and Ned has straight said that Howland saved him and he couldn't defeat Dayne in 1v1 combat. However it isn't like facts are always obeyed when the masses have latched onto a story.
Yeah, was about to say this--the issue with the scene, for me, wasn't the dialogue, it's that they changed the whole tone of the scene. First, Bran flat out KNEW Ned lost the fight 'except for Howland Reed". He stated his father was only alive due to Howland; most of the people in the book knew it was an unfair fight and Dayne still almost won. The entire scene, with that tinge and the dialogue, felt more like Ned regretted having to kill these men, he respected them, and kind of hoped they would have bent the knee or sailed away so he wouldn't have to kill them in this dishonorable way--with 7 on 3. (So when he says 'now it ends', I imagined it sounding more of a sad eulogy--like acknowledging the passing of these great men.)

In the show, though, we got angry Ned who seemed almost overconfident (Now it ends was more of a flippant remark) and then got his shit pushed in. It felt, of character, compared to how I saw it in the books. But I have a feeling that has more to do with Bran's dialogue and the acting of young Ned than the dialogue in the scene.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The slap game is a lie detector, it's about whether YOU believe what you're saying is true.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I always liked the tower scene because it seemed to indicate the Kingsguard WERE doing their duty. Rhaegr tells them to stay, they find out everyone of that lineage is now dead just about, but there's a baby. Bastard or no, Rhaegr was next in line to be King; if he had a son that was legitimized, that would come before Viserys, no?

Rhaegr being on the trident had always felt to me like he had to go for honor; in that case, he might have suspected he would die and would have made plans.

But that's a lot of speculation. Considering all the other things they've fucked with, dialogue is relatively small, but I think it's just because it didn't seem like it would have taken that much more time, and we've all been waiting for it.

And yea, in the book, Jamie was starting to get away from Cersei and choose honor instead.

Cybsled

in the books, bran calls to somebody that was near the weirwood tree in winterfell. was it theon? he also thought he heard something.
Yes, there is a scene in the books where Bran tries to say something and the character reacts as if they heard something, but were not sure.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I agree. Start with Tyrion and Danerys. Stupid bitch wasted 5 years to be exactly where she was when I first met her.