GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Went to the game of thrones popup bar in DC this weekend.

I went the 2nd day they were open and there was no line at all, got right in... Ordered one of the mixed drinks and it was possibly the worst drink I have ever tasted. I was grimacing hard with each sip, the bartender noticed and offered me any other drink I wanted so I just got a beer..

The highlight was laughing at all the whores posing for pictures on the iron throne. doing all their best faces and slut poses for facebook/instagram likes. Also everyone yelling "SHAME!" every few min was mildly entertaining.

2/10, would like my time/money back. I bet the mario popup was better

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
QmDCIe7.gif

I'm not saying season 6 didn't have a few good moments, but all in all it was shit coated shit with a creamy shit filling.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
eh that's mostly book commentary not TV. In the books nothing good happened, brienne doesn't rescue Sansa she's still in the vale getting raped by either little finger or harry hardyng (we won't know who's doing the raping til the next book if it's ever published) and it's a fake Arya getting raped by Ramsey in winterfell (sansa's childhood friend, you saw her season 1 but she had no speaking part). Baelish captured her during the purging of the northern forces/execution of Ned in book 1 and has been pimping her out in one of his brothels for a few books until the Lanister's needed a fake heir to buy the bolton's loyalty so he masquerades her as Arya.

Theon does end up saving her and convinces her to keep up the act but then they're all captured by Stannis along with his sister.

Stannis and his army just got obliterated, we don't know the fate of the girl or the greyjoys.

Brienne and Podrick also just got captured by lady stone heart (Undead Caitlyn, leading the remnants of the brotherhood without banners, Beric Dondarion died resurrecting Caitlyn.) And Brienne was released to go and trick Jaime into a trap so the brotherhood can kill them.

Glad you posted this, as it's been a few years since I'd read the books. I find that the nearer to a season I read the books, the less I enjoy the t.v. show, as the writing is generally great and easy to digest. Now, having not read the books in a few years and having just finished season 6 again - reading the above almost caused me to genuinely laugh. How convoluted and "loose" those last few books were, it's amazing that anyone gives a fuck about him finishing them. The tv show isn't perfect, far from it - but at least it will end and we'll all get a reasonable conclusion. Finally, after all this time, and with Sylas' help I'm fully on board the "fuck the books, I'll just watch it instead" train.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

GRRM gets praise upon praise for creating a intriguing spider web of political drama and super natural excitement in books 1-2 and 3ish...then it moves up to he is weaving tapestries of complexity...but by book 984 you realize he is just heaping convoluted shit upon convoluted shit because he honestly has no wrap up and end game, his tapestry is just a huge giant mess of string and spool.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
dude that was the cliff notes version only addressing the single line by releasing Jaime, at least brienne rescues sansa. The books are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more convoluted than that.

So yeah. Fuck GRRM, TV is way better canon.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Then why did the quality of the series take such a nose dive as soon as it went past the books?

Don't get me wrong, the books are waaaaaaay overrated, but I think some of yall need to re-watch season 6 to be reminded of how fucking god awful 90% of it was. I have really high hopes for the rest of the show, but I'm also expecting those hopes to be dashed cruelly.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
you know I was going to retort but outside of episode 9 and 10 I don't even remember season 6. let me read the recaps real quick.

Yeah a couple of shit episodes but Season 6 was overall good. Really it's hard to break it down that way. Let's just say there were several storylines that were great in season 6 and several characters you don't give a shit about ate up a lot of screen time.

But better than the book for sure since the book covering season 6 doesn't fucking exist yet.

• 1Worf

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really, the lack of my man Victarion is probably the biggest problem with the portrayal of the Iron Islands. Euron isn't bad, and "Yasha" has been relatively spot on to ok. More Damphair would have been good, and including Victarion would have been tits. You have a guy with a cursed-ish arm leading a fleet of vikings that now worship the Red god heading towards Danaerys in Slaver's bay, to make her his queen. The meeting would have been absolutely epic, but instead we get a quick "and theon showed up with ships!" gag and onward to the next season.

Them cutting out the best part of the Iron Islands storyline sucks =|

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Have to agree there. It all felt pretty pointless in the end and so much time was spent on it.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Then why did the quality of the series take such a nose dive as soon as it went past the books?

It took a nose dive in Season 5 when it went fully into book 4 content. GRRM should have just stopped the books after Storm of Swords and wrote some kind of conclusion there. The books are total crap after that.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
John Snow was on Kimmel and was trolling pretty hard. Said they filmed outdoor scenes with characters that never meet up in the show to intentionally screw with the paparazzi.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Letting Jaime go led to Rickard Karstark murdering the two Lannisters in the dungeons of Riverrun, which led to his execution, which led to the Karstarks abandoning Robb, which led to Robb needing to withdraw back into the North to regroup, which led to him getting murdered at the Red Wedding. Hell, Smalljon Umber giving Rickon to Ramsay can even be blamed on Catelyn since she is directly at fault for House Bolton being granted Winterfell and Roose being appointed Warden of the North.

Who cares if she also happened to start Jaime on his path to redemption while she was getting the entire Northern army massacred and two of her sons killed?

Robb got killed b/c he fell in love and betrayed his pledge. Everything else sorta lines up...although didn't Karstark want to murder them simply b/c Robb wouldn't let him kill Jaime (not just about letting Jaime go, just keeping him alive in general)? I figure if Jaime was killed Sansa definitely would have suffered repercussions in KL once word got back.

Also...if we're REALLY going to go all the way back...it's all on LF in the first place for starting the whole thing with Lysa. Killing Jon Arryn, but manipulating Cat and the Starks to believe it was all the Lannisters, the question of the dagger on the grunt who tried to off Bran. Without the false pretenses of the story LF helped concoct regarding the Lannisters to begin with, and the dagger's ownership in question (believing it was Tyrion's)...perhaps Cat doesn't make the first stupid decision to seize Tyrion while on the road.

Of course...regarding Bran, Lannisters (Jaime) were actually at fault, but the false accusations against Tyrion that actually started the war was all a product of LF's plot.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also, got invited to go to that bar last weekend, didn't end up going, friends had to cancel. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point.

What's wrong with Journey lyrics?