GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Jive Turkey

Karen
The bow thing was bullshit, but it was also a giant-sized bow and doesn't fit with RL bow examples.

A ballista is literally a gianter sized bow

If you think the dragon getting killed was cheap, fine. But there's a lot of selective memory going on in here

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
It also wasn't a major plot point used to effortlessly kill off a fucking dragon. iirc it was just a random blackshirt that died.

It's fiction. Any way they decide to kill the dragon off is effortless. They could've just had him die in the battle of Winterfell if they simply wanted him dead. They wanted to introduce something to the plot to take away Dany's ace up her sleeve. She thought she could just fly in and roast everyone, but now that option is off the table.
In some ways, the dragon was representative of the entire northern army; battered and bruised, but on the mend and marching toward the next battle. Right when you think the dragon is healed up and ready to go, they're like "nope". Taking away that moment of relief is meant to be reflected on the army in general.

• 1Picard

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My biggest question is why the fuck they just assumed Dragonstone would be unoccupied. Also why the fuck was it actually unoccupied? You know some bitch and her army is coming down to make war and they’re going to need a staging point and it’s one they’ve already used, why not deny your enemy that? And Dany’s army is stupid as hell for just dropping anchor without checking the place to see if anyone was there.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
A ballista is literally a gianter sized bow

If you think the dragon getting killed was cheap, fine. But there's a lot of selective memory going on in here

A giant sized bow being shot by a literal giant automatically demands suspension of belief. Also, you're mistaking selective memory for people simply not giving a fuck about the bow scene. A nameless crow getting shot through a whatever is silly, but ultimately irrelevant.

A major plot element being taken out by magical ballistas that are being shot far beyond believable range at pinpoint accuracy in quick succession against a moving flying target and then decimating ships far better than cannon fire could is comedy.

What's worse is that it could have all been avoided by having Dany fly straight at the fleet after sighting them only to have them reveal the ballastas and taking out the dragon once it got within range. It was already setup that they'd use the dragons to take out the fleet. But you know why they didn't do this? Because they wanted the awesomesauce scene of the dragon being taken out suddenly out of nowhere to shock people. This is the work of shit writing.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so a magical creature with unknown limits to his strength is the same as an actual known weapon fired by an ordinary human?
that bow had to be 10 feet in length and probably so taut only a monstrous frost giant could knock one from it. since its from the LoAW the leather and wood could have magical properties as well.
magic
06b.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brienne breaking down made some sense, don't think Jamie's action made sense though. He seemed to have built up genuine respect and attraction to her over the seasons. This is also a man who has never slept with anyone other than Cersei, and as a handsome man from one of the richest and most important houses in Westeros probably not for lack of opportunity either. He's not some playboy just adding another notch to his belt. I can understand that he still can't bear the thought of Cersei dying (despite her sending an assassin after him) but turning away from Brienne should have been very hard for him and not as easily rationalized as it was.

Maybe there's some subcommunication I'm missing but it kinda smells like D&D going "we knew we wanted to do a love scene between Jamie and Brienne but then we needed him back in King's Landing for the next episode".

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Last episode was tropey as fuck. First half was alright, second half was not.

Don't give a shit about nerd complaints save for two objectively unforgivable things.

One, coffee cup.

Two, Gendry Rivers.

Maybe Gendry is ignorant of the custom and Arya could have said, "Waters, not Rivers," or maybe Gendry was born in the Riverlands. In the show they simplified bastardy to land of origin, not where one was raised. Maybe he started calling himself Gendry Rivers in his own mind after learning his father was Robert. Maybe he could have said Gendry of Flea Bottom instead. None of it was addressed on-screen which amounts to conjectural bullshit or maybe it was poorly fucking written nonetheless. There was even a Histories & Lore featurette about bastard surnames.

Pathetic. Fucking pathetic.

Ghost killing Rhaegal is the cutest meme I've ever seen.

You all go back to complaining page after autistic page now. Holy shit I'm not reading this shit.

• 1EyeRoll

Siliconemelons

Can't belive no one's Jimmy's are rustled like mine are at the fact that they leveled the ballistic even / horizontally at the boats like they are some kind of rail cannon.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly it would have been better to kill a dragon in 8x03 and just show a blind barrage of huge arrows drive Daenerys on the last dragon off while the Iron Fleet captured the least relevant main cast member and no one else.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Can't belive no one's Jimmy's are rustled like mine are at the fact that they leveled the ballistic even / horizontally at the boats like they are some kind of rail cannon.

That was very much a 'fuck, who needs gunpowder / cannons??' moment. I guess also Qyburn should be thought of as the smartest man in Westeros given the various magical and engineering miracles he's performed.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I was thinking, could Dany just attack KL at night, they have the ballistas sure, but no searchlights.

She could fly in high, once over the middle of KL then dive down and be able to wipe out the ballistas from behind. Giving them little time to react.

But that would require logic.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brienne breaking down made some sense, don't think Jamie's action made sense though. He seemed to have built up genuine respect and attraction to her over the seasons. This is also a man who has never slept with anyone other than Cersei, and as a handsome man from one of the richest and most important houses in Westeros probably not for lack of opportunity either. He's not some playboy just adding another notch to his belt.
Brienne was just a One Knight Stand.

• 30Worf
  • 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 36 users

Szlia

There was zero reason for the Night King to care about Bran. There was a hand waived explanation of him being the "memory of the world", but why does he need to personally kill him? Why does he need to strike the blow? What connection is there? Why not just DROWN the fucker in undead? Is he afraid Bran will annoy him with more crows?
Do you remember these scenes during which the Night King discussed his plan and motivations with his lieutenants? Me neither. The undead menace in the story is meant to be a monolithic, inscrutable force. The psychology, scheming, alliances and treasons are for the humans, so the existential threat they face does not need any complexity (even the origin story of the Night King is superfluous in my book) nor elaborate motivations. You are welcomed to speculate, but "Why?" is not a pertinent question when it comes to the Night King. The guy who sees things says "He will come for me" and the Night King does just that and that's upon this that the dramaturgy is built. I guess you could say it's a kind of McGuffin. Wanting to know why the Night King does what he does is a bit like wanting to see the secret nuclear plans in that suitcase to know if it's really worth chasing around for a whole movie.

And yet the most important asset they have, the person that if they lost would SURELY mean their total destruction, engaged them instead of just drowning them in undead.
Do you remember these scenes where the Night King dodged dragon fire and narrowly escaped death when dueling Jon? Me neither. The tiger was never in any danger on his way to the goat. The storytelling made us think several times that he was, only to show he wasn't (He fell! Oh that did nothing... He'll get incinerated by dragon fire! Oh that did nothing... Jon will duel him! Oh he easily avoided the fight... Maybe Theon? Yeah, nope.... and then you conclude with Arya's 'yes, nope, yes').

What show are you watching? At this point the dragons have won every engagement against humans they've been in, single handedly destroying the most powerful nations of Essos, which have been shown to be more advanced than Westeros. If this was the "point" it only became one at the most convenient time when they needed the dragons gone to add tension to the final battle.
Do you remember these scenes where the fine people of Essos believed in what was coming their way and planned counter-measures? Me neither. What happened in Essos though was the first few steps of the 'de-high-fantasiation' of the dragons (damn they eat a lot and don't give a damn about who or what they eat, damn they get badly injured when they land in the middle of a bunch of random guys with bows and spears). Once in Westeros, was there any battle involving dragons where one did not end up killed or injured? Bronn shot a ballista at one during the attack of the convoy, the Night King sniped one during the northern escapade, they got toyed with during the defense of Winterfell and now one got shot down like a clay pigeon. In the land of fairy-tales, dragons are supreme beings and prophecies get realized. In the land of Game of Thrones, dragons kinda suck and prophecies have a pretty poor conversion rate. That's the point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just an exile queen
living in a lonely world
she took the lone dragon
going anywhere.

Just a bastard boy
raised due to a ploy
he took the bended knee
to anywhere

Don't stop believing,
hold on to that feeling,
that we haven't wasted the years,
I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've had a few days to consider the abomination that was Sunday's episode, and I think the thing that stuck out the most (in a sea of absolutely absurd scenarios) is Jaime/Brienne. The idea that this sexual chemistry has been "building up" for years is laughable, and there has been absolutely zero evidence for that. Jaime has always been about one woman, and in my mind viewed Brienne as a little sister, at best, throughout the entire series. I mean fuck, he knighted her TWO EPISODES AGO in a pretty well done big brother/little sister or mentor/mentee scenario.

That's not the worst part though (it was terrible), the worst part is they completely destroyed Jaime's arc and redemption in a single episode. Let me get this straight - 2 dragons, the entire weight of the Dany/Jon army march South (his little brother, whom he now has a solid relationship with after years of fighting included) and he decides to remain in the North with Brienne. Okay fine. Got it. Maybe he doesn't want to see his sister destroyed, though at this point he surely knows that is what will happen, but lets humor these dumb fucks for a second. Everything seems to be going fine, then a raven arrives and they discover a dragons been slain, Missandei was taken captive, and Jaime, so worked up, so in love with his sister (again) decides - hold on a second, my sister, who is the love of my life, my soulmate is in grave peril NOW, I MUST rush to defend her11!!!11 as if she wasn't fucked from jump street.

Legitimately the worst writing in the history of this show and that's saying something. It makes zero sense in the context of this season, and having read the spoilers for the rest of the series (I'm pretty certain they're legit) his ending will be universally panned as the most retarded shit of all time.

• 1Like

Szlia

People joke about autism in this thread, but one of the component of autism is the difficulty to understand social cues. When Jaime cockblocking Tormund is read as a "big brother/little sister or mentor/mentee scenario", you know you have a problem.