GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I've never watched an episode. Can someone give me a tldr version so I can interact with society right now?
Initially tits & politics, eventually dragons, then everyone kills each other in increasingly convoluted fashion.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

They should have a scene exactly like Aragorn's coronation with every single character present and do it shot for shot except at the very end Tyrion steps up and stabs Dany in the back, then Jon cuts off his head and Drogon freaks out and burns everyone to dust. Final scene is Drogon flying back to a nest full of baby dragons and fade to black.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

They should have a scene exactly like Aragorn's coronation with every single character present and do it shot for shot except at the very end Tyrion steps up and stabs Dany in the back, then Jon cuts off his head and Drogon freaks out and burns everyone else to dust. Final scene is Drogon flying back to a nest full of baby dragons and fade to black.

the aristocrats?

• 2Worf

Hosix

All labs matter!

They should have a scene exactly like Aragorn's coronation with every single character present and do it shot for shot except at the very end Tyrion steps up and stabs Dany in the back, then Jon cuts off his head and Drogon freaks out and burns everyone to dust. Final scene is Drogon flying back to a nest full of baby dragons and fade to black.

In the nest is Bran caring for his baby man dragon hybrids?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bran will warg Drogon during the penultimate scene in order to prevent Dany from killing Jon/Sans/Arya.

That's the only way I even will consider even discussing this show in the future. How the fuck did we get here? It's the final ep of the final season and somehow there is very little anticipation and basically no one even cares.

Maybe Bronn makes an appearance? Where the fuck is Heartsbane? What happen to winter coming?

This shit has gotten so bad it has pretty much destroyed the reputation and credibility that had surrounded the show. It has been off track for a while, but I dont think anyone anticipated THIS.

It gets even worse when you start to look back at previous seasons and circumstances behind the given characters and reflect on how that fits in with this finale.

Its mind numbing. The whole capture a live zombie beyond the wall mission to convince Cersei....entire plotlines or regions of the world simply forgotten or thrown out after it served its purpose, Jon's resurrection, Littlefinger, when you start to piece everything together from previous seasons, you dont gain clarity by connecting the dots, you become more frustrated when you realize how fucking stupid it all really is.

Anyone remember the High Sparrow? No? Who cares. What about the Vale? What's going on there? No one gives a fuck. What the fuck was the whole Craster thing with giving baby boys to white walkers? Not important. The more you think about everything the more blown away you become at how fucking bad it all is and feel duped given how invested you were.

• 4Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's Hollywood baby.

TLDR - DnD are bad at their job without a more creative person to draw the outlines for them to color in.

The more detailed answer is hard to say without being a part of that writers room and that development process. I can give you a ton of insight into the many writers rooms I have been a participant in and make a ton of educated guesses, but at the end of the day it comes down to DnD being The Showrunners of the GoT TV series and every single major choice falls to them to either make on their own or be enough on top of their pipeline and narrative to assign to someone they trust to make.

Looking at a few wiki's and and articles online, I can surmise that they basically had a few writers room assistants/development assistants/story editors/script supervisors (Dave HIll, Bryan Cogman) in the room that might have either done some great stuff, or some harm. Like I said, without being actually in that room and a part of that process, it's impossible to say just how they managed to fuck up so badly.

Generally (and also anecdotally since this is only from my own experience), the showrunners I work with do everything they can to actually figure out their ending and then backtrack the best possible way to get there. Before you even start thinking about cast or specific writers you have walls and walls of notes and string not unlike the Pepe Silva scene in IASIP. That process usually falls apart for outside reasons. Those being that actors, directors and writers you used or like quit/die/demand more money and you scramble which starts a failure cascade that continues indefinitely...OR, you realize you don't actually have the best original narrative writing skills from the outset and want to simply try a different route. That is what i would guess happened here.

DnD are REALLY good at being adaptive writers. We can see that from the first 4 seasons. They had a structure in place and all they had to do was color by number for the most part and sprinkle in their own "creative juices" when their egos demanded it and it worked. But once that outside narrative structure is removed, all you are left with is that "creative juice" fueled by ego and in this case, it came from two guys that simply do not have the chops to write good original narrative fantasy fiction for television. They lack that skillset.

Why couldn't they just hire someone good? Ego and The Process.

Ego because these guys were coming off a MONSTER show for 4 (maybe 5) seasons of some AMAZING television and probably thought, "Hey, we got the notes from the Fat Man. We are crushing this." and then didn't even entertain the idea that they are just not as good at macro storytelling (using a million micro stories) as GRRM (hate him all you want but he is a master at exactly that). So off they go with their $100m season and the ratings stay up. The hype stays up and they do the same thing they did.

The Process because hiring a writer (or at least a good fit for a specific project) is not something you can do in a week, or even a month with any hope you are going to get good results. I read a few dozen scripts/books/shorts a week ranging from theater, TV spec, feature spec, adaptations and even fanfic and trying to find someone that can convey the exact tone you are looking for and who has the actual writing chops to maintain a cohesive narrative is actually pretty fucking tough and goes through this whole process of interviews, sample writing, agent phone calls and their busy schedule. And we STILL fuck it up quite a bit. That's why DnD probably just hired people from within simply because "they were there and 'get it'". Sure they could have simply thrown out an offer to people like Steve DeKnight or Ron Moore but that just goes right back to Ego.

They thought they had it in the bag.

NARRATOR
They didn't.
This is some good insight, and rings true.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
03moau2978y21.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's no good reason for Jon to love Dany.

Why did people want a fairytale ending?

I signed up for fire and blood and we got fire and blood.

Burn this motherfucker down.

• 3Like
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 5 users

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm

what are his other choices for pussy?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

AFter
kitharringtonamrried2018-500x497.jpg

The romance between Jon Snow and Daenarys Targaryen was pretty flat.