GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Siliconemelons

I think HBO and GOT were literally the one time where money WAS NO OBJECT - the "oh production costs mount fast!"

Yes they do, and yes HBO knows that they are going to drop subs like a bag of rocks.. They would pay $$$ $$$$$ and $$$$$$$$$$$$ to spit out episode 6 without an end and announce in 2020 there would be a 4 hour movie released that is preset by a 4 hour beginning ultra edit and 4 hour wrap up edit that lead to that aforementioned 4 hour final movie - each part released staggered to keep the people.

It would pay for itself.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think HBO and GOT were literally the one time where money WAS NO OBJECT - the "oh production costs mount fast!"

Yes they do, and yes HBO knows that they are going to drop subs like a bag of rocks.. They would pay $$$ $$$$$ and $$$$$$$$$$$$ to spit out episode 6 without an end and announce in 2020 there would be a 4 hour movie released that is preset by a 4 hour beginning ultra edit and 4 hour wrap up edit that lead to that aforementioned 4 hour final movie - each part released staggered to keep the people.

It would pay for itself.

Would this, theoretical that. Hit me in the ass with a wiffleball bat, It's all over for that.

Everything is confirmed at this point. There is no more speculation about HBO putting the money or time up. They had years to discuss and plan it, and D&D refused to bend for a few years now in a row. The earliest date of this argument goes back to 2016 with D&D already telling HBO they are cutting it short before HBO even made an offer.

D&D are rude dudes, plain and simple.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Who is it exactly you guys are all making excuses for? It sucks pretty cut and dry.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Would this, theoretical that. Hit me in the ass with a wiffleball bat, It's all over for that.

Everything is confirmed at this point. There is no more speculation about HBO putting the money or time up. They had years to discuss and plan it, and D&D refused to bend for a few years now in a row. The earliest date of this argument goes back to 2016 with D&D already telling HBO they are cutting it short before HBO even made an offer.

D&D are rude dudes, plain and simple.
and another lie, "the budget didnt include Jon petting Ghost goodbye"

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How did the guy that did the screenplay for X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Troy get this? I would list the other guy's credentials but he literally has none.

These guys are unknowns before this shit, how did they land this?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
With the news today that Benioff & Weiss' are in fact the guys doing the nexts Star Wars', pretty obvious why they put an end to the show.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How did the guy that did the screenplay for X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Troy get this? I would list the other guy's credentials but he literally has none.

These guys are unknowns before this shit, how did they land this?

Haven't they been on from the beginning? It's not like anyone expected GoT to explode in popularity the way it did.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Should be interesting to see the six different remakes this gets in 10-20 years, when the industry is scrolling back through their old hits to find some way to reprint money. I would like to see a redo that follows the books closer, and gets the actual mythical (never to be finished) real ending. I feel bad for these actors that have dedicated a huge portion of their careers absolutely owning a lot of these roles, to have D&D shit all over it here at the end. I don't see them getting the casting this close to perfect again.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
In the end D&D will go down as hack garbage faggots, of a show that will be forgotten. G.R.R. Martin will be remembered as a fat fuck J.R.R. Tolkien wannabe. Now all Disney needs to do is make a dark gritty reboot of Dumbo.

ox9lhq04d8y21.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Eli809

Trakanon Raider
Joeffry died at the perfect season so his character couldn’t be tainted by bad writing ❤️

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never watched an episode. Can someone give me a tldr version so I can interact with society right now?
Bad people do bad things and bad things happen to them.

Good people also have bad things happen to them.

The World is Shit: Dragons and Zombies Edition

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
How am I the only one that likes (post Aunt Lysa murder) Sansa? Her growth as a character is more believable than many.

Hmm, maybe Lord Robin Arryn will sit the iron throne next Sunday...
Not going to happen. The promotions department would NEVER lie with their pre-season material, and they only made 20 various "sitting on the Iron Throne" flyers. Of that, we still have 10 living contenders.

1.) The Spider (Lord Varys)
2.) Samwell Tarly
3.) Theon Greyjoy (Reek)
4.) Jorah Mormont
5.) The Red Priestess (Melisandre)
6.) Euron Greyjoy
7.) Tyrion Lannister
8.) The Night King
9.) Missandei
10.) Daenerys Targaryen
11.) Queen Cersei Lannister
12.) Ser Brienne of Tarth
13.) Brandon Stark
14.) Arya Stark
15.) Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen)
16.) Ser Davos Seaworth
17.) Grey Worm (Torgo Nudho)
18.) The Hound (Sandor Clegane)
19.) Jaime Lannister
20.) Sansa Stark

So, there you have it. We all have a 1:10 chance of guessing who wins everything.

Last edited:

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I just don't understand though why they couldn't find good writers considering the time, popularity, and money available.
That's Hollywood baby.

TLDR - DnD are bad at their job without a more creative person to draw the outlines for them to color in.

The more detailed answer is hard to say without being a part of that writers room and that development process. I can give you a ton of insight into the many writers rooms I have been a participant in and make a ton of educated guesses, but at the end of the day it comes down to DnD being The Showrunners of the GoT TV series and every single major choice falls to them to either make on their own or be enough on top of their pipeline and narrative to assign to someone they trust to make.

Looking at a few wiki's and and articles online, I can surmise that they basically had a few writers room assistants/development assistants/story editors/script supervisors (Dave HIll, Bryan Cogman) in the room that might have either done some great stuff, or some harm. Like I said, without being actually in that room and a part of that process, it's impossible to say just how they managed to fuck up so badly.

Generally (and also anecdotally since this is only from my own experience), the showrunners I work with do everything they can to actually figure out their ending and then backtrack the best possible way to get there. Before you even start thinking about cast or specific writers you have walls and walls of notes and string not unlike the Pepe Silva scene in IASIP. That process usually falls apart for outside reasons. Those being that actors, directors and writers you used or like quit/die/demand more money and you scramble which starts a failure cascade that continues indefinitely...OR, you realize you don't actually have the best original narrative writing skills from the outset and want to simply try a different route. That is what i would guess happened here.

DnD are REALLY good at being adaptive writers. We can see that from the first 4 seasons. They had a structure in place and all they had to do was color by number for the most part and sprinkle in their own "creative juices" when their egos demanded it and it worked. But once that outside narrative structure is removed, all you are left with is that "creative juice" fueled by ego and in this case, it came from two guys that simply do not have the chops to write good original narrative fantasy fiction for television. They lack that skillset.

Why couldn't they just hire someone good? Ego and The Process.

Ego because these guys were coming off a MONSTER show for 4 (maybe 5) seasons of some AMAZING television and probably thought, "Hey, we got the notes from the Fat Man. We are crushing this." and then didn't even entertain the idea that they are just not as good at macro storytelling (using a million micro stories) as GRRM (hate him all you want but he is a master at exactly that). So off they go with their $100m season and the ratings stay up. The hype stays up and they do the same thing they did.

The Process because hiring a writer (or at least a good fit for a specific project) is not something you can do in a week, or even a month with any hope you are going to get good results. I read a few dozen scripts/books/shorts a week ranging from theater, TV spec, feature spec, adaptations and even fanfic and trying to find someone that can convey the exact tone you are looking for and who has the actual writing chops to maintain a cohesive narrative is actually pretty fucking tough and goes through this whole process of interviews, sample writing, agent phone calls and their busy schedule. And we STILL fuck it up quite a bit. That's why DnD probably just hired people from within simply because "they were there and 'get it'". Sure they could have simply thrown out an offer to people like Steve DeKnight or Ron Moore but that just goes right back to Ego.

They thought they had it in the bag.

NARRATOR
They didn't.

• 26Like
Reactions: 25 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not going to happen. The promotions department would NEVER lie with their pre-season material, and they only made 20 various "sitting on the Iron Throne" flyers. Of that, we still have 10 living contenders.

1.) The Spider (Lord Varys)
2.) Samwell Tarly
3.) Theon Greyjoy (Reek)
4.) Jorah Mormont
5.) The Red Priestess (Melisandre)
6.) Euron Greyjoy
7.) Tyrion Lannister
8.) The Night King
9.) Missandei
10.) Daenerys Targaryen
11.) Queen Cersei Lannister
12.) Ser Brienne of Tarth
13.) Brandon Stark
14.) Arya Stark
15.) Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen)
16.) Ser Davos Seaworth
17.) Grey Worm (Torgo Nudho)
18.) The Hound (Sandor Clegane)
19.) Jaime Lannister
20.) Sansa Stark

So, there you have it. We all have a 1:10 chance of guessing who wins everything.
Drogon melts the throne.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You know what's really crazy? I never heard Iain Glen talking out of character. Dude must have been dropping like 3-4 octaves to do Ser Jorah.

• 5Like
  • 5WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You know what's really crazy? I never heard Iain Glen talking out of character. Dude must have been dropping like 3-4 octaves to do Ser Jorah.

He is one of the better actors in the series. Not just his performance, but his action scenes came across as far more believable than pretty much any of the others. That on top of his character having a full character arc as well as a satisfying ending makes him one of the top characters for me.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

hahah i heard him talk a few weeks ago and i thought THE EXACT SAME THING. i immediately had to go watch scenes with jorah to double check his voice change, like i somehow imagined it.