GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
D&D clearly only had the final pieces of the story and missed the arcs leading them there. At first I thought they just did a poor job of spelling out the story and the character developments but now I figure GRRM had a completely different chain of events in mind.

I suspect this ending is entirely GRRMs, and the difficulty writing it is the reason the books aren't finished. Adding insult to fan injury, GRRM handed the nascent ending to a couple of hacks.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I refuse to believe Jon's ending in the books is the same as he does here. It makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Everyone else I can get there, even Bran as King. But Jon's ending is stupid and nonsensical on so many levels.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Who cleaned up the Red Keep? Is the thing even structurally sound?

They were in the Tower of the Hand at the end, weren't they? That was separate from the keep, so they could just repurpose it I guess?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I refuse to believe Jon's ending in the books is the same as he does here. It makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Everyone else I can get there, even Bran as King. But Jon's ending is stupid and nonsensical on so many levels.

If he's really a resurrected pawn of the Lord of Light, he should have died shortly after his purpose was served.

Would have made more sense if Jon killed Dany, then himself, Drogon melts the throne and carries both off to some island with baby dragons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
That would have made a lot more sense. It would also help explain the onset of paralysis that brings the conclave together in the Dragon Pit. Greyworm would be totally out of his depth at that point and stuck in a feedback loop of 'what the fuck do I do now?'

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had low expectations going into this season and even then it was a letdown. The show since Season 5 when the writers had to stand on their own two feet has been shit and exposed the writing, or lack thereof. It's been said a thousand times and it should be said a thousand more. That said, I'm fine with the endings the characters got even though most are practically fanfic endings and I can understand how this is GRRMs bittersweet ending he envisioned in context with what we know from the books.

-The realms at peace (what little is left of it), for now, but history has shown that death and argument over succession changes everything.

-The North is finally independent after 1,000 years. The Starks were Kings and Queens of the North before the Targs came and conquered them with their dragons and now that all the pure blooded Targs are gone for good they're back where they used to be. The circle is complete for them, but they are now on their own in the realm.

-Arya has wanted to be an explorer her entire life and her dream was to explore whats west of Westeros. While the Maesters believe the world is round, no one is known to have survived the voyage past the Sunset Sea including numerous skilled people of importance such as King Bran the Shipwright and Elissa Farman, although the latters wrecked ship is believed to have been seen in Asshai. Little is truly known about the city and even less is known about the rest of the Shadowlands, other than fucked up mystical shit goes down there.

-Tyrion is truly alone now. His lands, assuming he's now the lord of them, ran dry of gold long ago. His family, who mostly all hated him to begin with, are all gone. While he's most likely the last Lannister ever, he also wields more power now than he ever has previously as hand to Bran and in the best position to help shape the world. The only thing for me that I would have liked as a book reader would be if Tyrion had closure with or made mention of Tysha to Bran.

-Daenerys is a cunt and I've been waiting for her to get stabbed by Jon for over a decade. Doing it before she even got to sit on the Iron Throne, by one of the only people she believed she trusted, was the best we were going to get. The dragon melting the throne was symbolic and I'm fine with it even though him grabbing her in his talons was over the top even for me.

-Jon mirrors Jamie and the Nights Watch traitors and in doing so he finally understands why they did what they did. Ned and the other Starks always talked with disgust about Jamie and in the end its Jon, the Stark most similar to Ned, who becomes the Queenslayer. Him being banished to the nights watch and then having the unsullied immediately leave the continent was insanely shit even by GoT standards, but the reunion with Ghost and Tormund was nice. There have been kings north of the wall before and Tormund has made it clear in the past that they will follow Jon, so it was interesting for his last scene to be of him traveling north with whats left of the Wildlings and be the only man in black among them.

-Brienne filling in Jamies portion in the Book of Brothers was a nod to book readers and helped to provide some closure to his story, even though his story in the show was badly told. Jamies first reading of the book and seeing how little he was portrayed by Selmy played a role in him wanting to change his ways and turning his back on his sister. He made it known in his thoughts that he took the book seriously and that it upset him and he wanted to live up to the expectations of the stories and men in the book and pondered what his final entries would be. In Season 4 in the show, Joffery read Jamies small paragraph in the book mockingly to his uncle and compares Jamies small paragraph to Sir Duncans 4 pages, stating he must have been quite a man to have so many. When Brienne completes his story it's at least a couple pages long, tells of his accomplishments, and ends with "died protecting his queen", which contrasts his entry paragraph naming him the Kingslayer.

Not happy how we got here and the writers are hacks, but at least after 10+ years of waiting I feel like I have some closure. The books are never going to be finished so this is the best we'll ever get.

honestly, i think all the characters completed their arcs, and if told by better storytellers, they were all good, satisfying arcs. it's just that... well they WEREN'T told by good storytellers so most everything came off as cheap.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As has been mentioned already, I'd probably be more forgiving of the ending if the road to get there wasn't so condensed. They never fully fleshed out these storylines the past 2 seasons so what you're left with are scenes in the finale that have zero weight to them (even Dany's death) because there was no proper buildup to it. What really sucks is that because dude is never going to finish the books, this is the only ending to the story that you have. A story that people have been reading about since the mid-90's and this is what you got. Really unfortunate.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
HAHAHAHA ARYA IS CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
I CANT STOP CRYING

Woke up early to watch it. At work, laughing so hard at this.

Entire fucking episode was silence with a little talk. What a fucking pile of shit.

I just put on the end of ROTK to restore my faith in good "middle earth"

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
My favorite was Jon murderstabbing Dany and then Drogon flying off with the evidence.
But wait, good guy Jon admits to killing her? The fuck are you smoking Jon.
"Where is our queen?"
"I dunno bro she just took off with Drogon and left me in charge til she gets back."
End season.

Giant blood stain on the ground

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
before reading what y'all have written

It wasn't as bad as I expected. The night's watch still being a thing is obviously a joke, and so is exile into it. At this point it's just a glorified border patrol that doesn't get to fuck. I seriously expected Tyrion to suggest Jon committing suicide at that point.

Bran the Broken is a reasonable enough conclusion, except there's no throne to sit on. Tyrion is now hand to three different kings, that has to be a server first.

Bronn as one of the most powerful lords in the realm is of course completely unqualified, even moreso than Gendry Baratheon. A good joke on democracy there as well, so I don't see a broken wheel at all.

I'm glad I did finish watching it, I really contemplated going all Star Wars on it.

Now let's read why you think this was the worst moment in your lives.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
WTF is Gendry even lord of at this point? Between all the various Baratheon civil and other wars I doubt there's anyone even left in the Stormlands to rule (other than Brienne who goes off to protect Bran in the Kingsguard)

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Giant blood stain on the ground
Giant blood stain on the ground of a palace that just literally was besieged with fire and ruin? If you're feeling wary you can walk to the nearest corner of the room and cover it with rubble. It's what I would have done.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
GEE, they gave all FOUR stark kids a path or a "story"
columbus arya
king broken
queen of the north
king of the north north

from GRRM blog
Oh, and speaking of television, don’t believe everything you read. Internet reports are notoriously unreliable. We have had five different GAME OF THRONES successor shows in development (I mislike the term “spinoffs”) at HBO, and three of them are still moving forward nicely. The one I am not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT will be shooting later this year, and two other shows remain in the script stage, but are edging closer. What are they about? I cannot say. But maybe some of you should pick up a copy of FIRE & BLOOD and come up with your own theories.

five shows, 4 are obviously gonna follow the stark kids and the 5th is the prequel which is being directed by a cunt.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
GEE, they gave all FOUR stark kids a path or a "story"
columbus arya
king broken
queen of the north
king of the north north

from GRRM blog

five shows, 4 are obviously gonna follow the stark kids and the 5th is the prequel which is being directed by a cunt.

I'm actually not that bothered by this. In a lot of ways the story has always been about the journey of the Stark children.

• 2Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When everyone just magically knew that Jon killed Dany at the council meeting I was stunned.

A casual observer presumably would think that after Drogon declined to burn Jon and took off with Dany, that was his ticket out.

But nope, good guy Jon admits he killed her. Its so fucking retarded. They should of at least showed that in some type of way, with Jon having to tell Greyworm and then there is a showdown in front of that new council or whatever.

Then Greyworm just gives in and fucks off. Jon then becomes a wilding?

Wut.

Bran the Broken is so fucking stupid Im not even get into it.

• 2Like