GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Most complaints stem from the fact, that they didnt take the time to flesh out the characters motivation. Using most of the time to develop their characters and the complexity of their motivations and neglecting Hollywood spectacle (remember tyrion's first battle and the capture of Jamie Lannister) is what set early GoT apart from, what we got in later seasons.

Season 8 was just spectacle and rushed character development, based on a few minutes spent on each character.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure someone has complained about everything at least once in this thread.

Well sure, even stuff that never actually happened. But we're talking needle in a haystack unless I missed the pages of Arya ending complaints versus the major problems people had with Danearys/Jon/Tyrion/Bran shit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well sure, even stuff that never actually happened. But we're talking needle in a haystack unless I missed the pages of Arya ending complaints versus the major problems people had with Danearys/Jon/Tyrion/Bran shit.
i just dont understand why JT is defending Arya going all marco polo at the end because of a throwayaway derp line 3 seasons ago.
jon's whole arc has been up north the entire show. i think King's landing was the first and only time he has come that far south. ditto Bran and Sansa. Arya hopped a ship and used her multipass to go over to Braavos where she spent a season training to be a FM. then she came back home. never went further south than KL either. now she is a world traveler? no.

Jive Turkey

Karen
i just dont understand why JT is defending Arya going all marco polo at the end because of a throwayaway derp line 3 seasons ago.

I was defending it long before I got to that line on the rewatch. I just thought it was interesting on the second go through, so I came here to post it. It wasn't until Kane inexplicably took my post personally that there was any back and forth. It was honestly nothing more than a "oh, didn't even remember this part the first time" post .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

"It's a meme, just an obscure one" Nicely played! Much more subtle than "I was just joking all along" :D

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

jon's whole arc has been up north the entire show. i think King's landing was the first and only time he has come that far south. ditto Bran and Sansa. Arya hopped a ship and used her multipass to go over to Braavos where she spent a season training to be a FM. then she came back home. never went further south than KL either. now she is a world traveler? no.

She kind of telegraphs she isn't going to just be hanging around Winterfell or with Gendry when she refuses his marriage proposal. She was going to King's Landing prior to coming home to Winterfell to kill Cersei, but heard the Starks had taken WF back. Of the Starks she's clearly the most well traveled and spent a lot of the early seasons traveling with the Hound.

I mean, if you're freaking out over the whole "west of Westeros" line, It's kind of whatever, they had to come up with something I guess (and it was mentioned, whether one line or not, its there). But it was pretty clear of any of the Westerosi characters who lived she was easily the most well traveled and least likely to "settle down" somewhere.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
She kind of telegraphs she isn't going to just be hanging around Winterfell or with Gendry when she refuses his marriage proposal. She was going to King's Landing prior to coming home to Winterfell to kill Cersei, but heard the Starks had taken WF back. Of the Starks she's clearly the most well traveled and spent a lot of the early seasons traveling with the Hound.

I mean, if you're freaking out over the whole "west of Westeros" line, It's kind of whatever, they had to come up with something I guess (and it was mentioned, whether one line or not, its there). But it was pretty clear of any of the Westerosi characters who lived she was easily the most well traveled and least likely to "settle down" somewhere.
i'm not freaking out about anything, i just think that introducing brand new story arcs in the last 5 minutes of a TV show's existence makes no sense.

Merrith

i'm not freaking out about anything, i just think that introducing brand new story arcs in the last 5 minutes of a TV show's existence makes no sense.

Freaking out maybe not the best phrase, but people going a little over the top over a one line statement. It's not an arc (unless they're really going to do some Arya the Explorer sequel), it's just the standard "off to new adventures" ending. It's not like Kirk at the end of Star Trek VI was really starting a new story arc to go find Neverland when he said to set course for the second star to the right, straight on until morning.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Freaking out maybe not the best phrase, but people going a little over the top over a one line statement. It's not an arc (unless they're really going to do some Arya the Explorer sequel), it's just the standard "off to new adventures" ending. It's not like Kirk at the end of Star Trek VI was really starting a new story arc to go find Neverland when he said to set course for the second star to the right, straight on until morning.
when Kirk said that, it was just a joke and they would be back next week on a new adventure or next movie or whatever . Arya sailing into an unknown abyss is just a nice way of saying suicide or they really are starting some new Arydora the explora show.

Merrith

when Kirk said that, it was just a joke and they would be back next week on a new adventure or next movie or whatever . Arya sailing into an unknown abyss is just a nice way of saying suicide or they really are starting some new Arydora the explora show.

Pretty sure at the time when VI was filmed, they knew it was the last film for that "version" of the Star Trek crew, that's why it was such a good joke to throw in there. Maybe I'm off on that, but it seemed a nice put a bow on it moment for that crew.

Maybe Arya ends up killing herself sailing West, who knows. Is it just because we don't know what is west of Westeros that its such a big deal? If she had taken a boat east and just been walking on the horizon would it have really been any different?