GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Benioff worked on both 25th Hour and Troy: Edward Norton, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Brad Pitt, Brendan Gleeson, Eric Bana, Diane Kruger, Orlando Bloom, etc. I'm sure he had opportunities watching good actors there.

On 25th hour, female protagonist Rosario Dawson is not all that compelling in support of your assertion that Benioff had a chance to see "good acting"

Which female performances in these movies should he have observed?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

i would rank Emilia has the worse from the show, saw she has a chick flick coming out, maybe she will just wonder off and just do hallmark films and shit.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which female performances in these movies should he have observed?

He probably observed Diane Kruger as Helene and went along haha.

You're probably right as he didn't have the opportunity, but in cases like GoT showrunners don't have a say in casting choices. They just makedo with what they have, that's why I said they're responsible for the writing shipwreck, not for the casting choices.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah I don't get all the overblown Emilia Clarke hate. Sure she's been awful in her big screen outings but the idea that 'her acting is so bad it's distracting' in GoT is ridiculous. Sure she doesn't measure up to the powerhouses of the series like Dance or Dinklage, but during the earlier seasons she was fine and even had one of the best scenes in the entire series (The Sack of Astapor). The spectacularly shitty writing of the later seasons certainly exposed her compared to the better actors, but the entire series was suffering at that point.

Saying that Lena Headey, Kit Harrington, and Aidan Gillen were miscast is just pure pants on hand retarded though.

Emilia Clarke was terrible. Made less terrible in the earlier seasons by the fact that half of her anemic amount of lines were in a made up language that we had to read on screen instead of looking at her idiotic facial expressions. It also helped mask her awful inflection.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Emilia Clarke was terrible. Made less terrible in the earlier seasons by the fact that half of her anemic amount of lines were in a made up language that we had to read on screen instead of looking at her idiotic facial expressions. It also helped mask her awful inflection.

In other words it was perfect casting because the Daenerys sections were the shittiest parts of the book too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I never thought Clarke was great, but I didn't think she was that bad, either (at least not to the level some on here seem to put her at). I think she'd do better in chick flick type stuff where her personal charm can shine through, not as some badass queen/action characters. The child actors (or the ones that started out that way) are tougher, b/c unless they were like Tommen with a very small role originally where you could recast them in a later season, it's tough to make a switch on the fly.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You're right, I got tunneled into slamming the bad ones, but there's good ones too:

- Peter Dinklage as Tyrion
- Nikolaj coster-waldau as Jaime
- Liam Cunnigham as Davos
- Sean Bean as the guy who dies early
- Diana Rigg as Olenna
- Charles Dance as Tywin
- Conleth Hill as Varys
- Mark Addy as Robert Baratheon
Even Alfie Allen is good at Theon too.
no love for BarristanSelmy, Walder Frey or Stannis The Mannis?

Sterling

El Presidente
The casting in general was really good. Obviously with an ensemble this large you won't hit 100 percent, but the later seasons was much more of a writing issue than the cast.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's why there's "pilot season". They film all kinds of shows just to get a feel for it. Then they take the filmed episode around for people to watch and get a response. This is how many shows are made or die.

And you've got to think, just from judging how some AWFUL shows are turned into series that shouldn't be, there's a not trivial amount of rubbing elbows involved in the process.

"The show might be shit, but this producer has a direct line to THE BEST coke this side of the mississipi"

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the chicks did poorly in comparison to the men, but the worst actor on the show award has to go to Samwell Tarley. he's probably the only one of the bunch who nobody wanted guest appearing on their TV shows.

• 3Garbage
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

The actor played that part perfectly. Including starting to become likeable through his original redemption arc. The writers decided to make the character revert and turned him back into a sniveling twat. The same way the writers decided to never make Jon Snow anything more than a naive boy scout.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Sam seemed exactly like I thought he'd be from the books. I think you're confusing the character with acting.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Khane

If you ever feel like maybe the actors or casting were to blame for character decline just refer to how Varys went out. People point to Littlefinger as the ultimate character decline but Varys was an even bigger travesty and it had nothing to do with acting.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
If you ever feel like maybe the actors or casting were to blame for character decline just refer to how Varys went out. People point to Littlefinger as the ultimate character decline but Varys was an even bigger travesty and it had nothing to do with acting.
I mean it was a very generalized thing. Almost every character that was portrayed as intelligent went full retard in later seasons. Baelish, Varys, Tyrion, anyone else that didn't start as an idiot.

• 1Like

Khane

But Varys going straight to Jon Snow was so out of character you can't even try to begin to explain it. With Baelish and Tyrion at least it was a slow enough decline that if you wanted to, you could try to justify it (you'd be wrong, but you could try).

Sterling

El Presidente
Sure. His case of the retard was more abrupt, but all 3 declining that way was so bad. The 3 of them jockeying/interacting with one another was one of the best parts of the series, both in the books and in the show. Shit sucks.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The smart characters turned dumb because the twits writing the shit were incapable of figuring out what intelligent people act and speak like once they burned through Martin's stuff.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Well we're all in agreement I think. I was just saying, Varys in particular is proof the problem was writing, not acting. Though I still don't know how anyone could possibly think the acting in GoT was a problem.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Casting was fine. Acting was fine. How many other times have people been moved so deeply by a guy that only had one word to say in an entire series?

3e41.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users