GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I think the only debate on Jon is what he'll come back as. There's a few different options, most of which are cool. Azor Ahai, night's king, Targaryen etc.
I agree with that. I think a lot of this other shit is just red herrings.

Jon/Dany have been setup as the protagonists (with an actual power base) from day 1. When they deconstructed Stannis this year it was clear he was going to die.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well they reordered the events quite a bit in the series, but I'm pretty sure Ramsay ambushing Stannis' army is farther along in the plot of the North than the books are. It's not necessarily a divergence (because that would be a major one), but the books just haven't got there yet.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It would be great if the whole Stannis' daughter burning arc was cut out of the books. Shit was stupid.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
George R.R. Martin Promises A 'Bittersweet' Ending For 'Game Of Thrones' - MTV

Martin was asked ?whether [the story] will end in some horrible apocalypse,? as many fear it will, given the constant beating of the ?winter is coming? drum and the ever looming threat of White Walkers invading Westeros. His answer should provide some hope for fans afraid that every single character they know and love will lose in the end:

?I haven?t written the ending yet, so I don?t know, but no. That?s certainly not my intent. I?ve said before that the tone of the ending that I?m going for is bittersweet. I mean, it?s no secret that Tolkien has been a huge influence on me, and I love the way he ended ?Lord of the Rings.? It ends with victory, but it?s a bittersweet victory. Frodo is never whole again, and he goes away to the Undying Lands, and the other people live their lives. And the scouring of the Shire?brilliant piece of work, which I didn?t understand when I was 13 years old: ?Why is this here? The story?s over?? But every time I read it I understand the brilliance of that segment more and more. All I can say is that?s the kind of tone I will be aiming for. Whether I achieve it or not, that will be up to people like you and my readers to judge.?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't describe the ending of LotR as bittersweet, although it's no surprise to me that GRRM would focus on the negative parts. Frodo being stuck in Middle Earth trying to cope with his burden would have been bittersweet. Serious, permanent damage done to the Shire or to Hobbit culture would have been bittersweet. Instead, Frodo is rewarded by being given the choice to go to Valinor with the elves, and with Galadriel's magic dust the Shire recovers completely. Hobbit culture may have lost some small part of its naivete and innocence, but otherwise continues on exactly as it did before the war.

The ending of LotR is a pretty damn happy ending.

Debase

N00b
I wouldn't describe the ending of LotR as bittersweet, although it's no surprise to me that GRRM would focus on the negative parts. Frodo being stuck in Middle Earth trying to cope with his burden would have been bittersweet. Serious, permanent damage done to the Shire or to Hobbit culture would have been bittersweet. Instead, Frodo is rewarded by being given the choice to go to Valinor with the elves, and with Galadriel's magic dust the Shire recovers completely. Hobbit culture may have lost some small part of its naivete and innocence, but otherwise continues on exactly as it did before the war.

The ending of LotR is a pretty damn happy ending.
I think he means from the perspective of the characters not feeling completely victorious. Frodo clearly returned damaged goods. Going to Valinor was a reflection more of his inability to get back to his former life in the Shire because of the toll that the journey and Ring had on him. Tolkien's tale is obviously a direct comparison to WWI. Frodo was a returning veteran who despite having seen the end of the war was irreparably damaged by it. He returned to find his homeland a shell of the place he had in his memory and himself physically and mentally ruined by the ordeal.

What GRRM, I think, is getting at is that there won't be victory parades or celebrations marking the end of the War for the Dawn. There will be survivors who are left to pick-up the pieces. Sure, they won the war, but the bittersweet elements are that what they left behind.... what they were fighting for... really is gone forever.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
shit is already pretty grim in westeros. king's landing is falling into chaos. the royal lines are being killed off. starks are mostly destroyed, lannisters are broke and their line is destroyed, same with barratheons, tullys, no more targaryans. the small folk are about to be royally fucked by winter because their harvests have been destroyed by war. then you have the WW getting ready to kick the shit out of everyone who isnt already dead.

yeah, things cant be much grimmer there. what would an azor ahai do? kill the WW? restore the realm to one true king? none of that will change the damage thats already occurred and the starvation setting in for winter.

iannis

Musty Nester
I guess you could call the LotR ending bittersweet.

Magic is diminished. The ascendancy of Man is gauranteed, but the Honor of Numenor is faint. The elves are leaving middle earth in the new age, the hobbits are no longer quite so innocent because of Sharky.

But it's not going to fit in Westeros. All that shit means is that he's going to kill everyone and they'll be eating dragons in the long cold dark. Self-cooking meat!