GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thoros used to use a flaming sword (using wildfire) in tournaments. He'd always buy new swords because the wildfire would pit the shit out of them. There was a reference to that in one of the books, but I can't remember which offhand.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Yup, he started out using wildfire as a gimmick, but by the time he's Dondarrion's rezbot he's using magic to do it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when arya met up with the lightning lord and the priest, Robert's bastard recognizes the red priest and mentions his blacksmith master getting pissed that he kept fucking up his good swords by pouring wildfire over them. the red priest then says something to the effect that he doesnt need to do that shit anymore because magic is more powerful now.

when daenerys is in qarth the masked chick tells her about the guy who can climb up a rope into thin air and cant get down because his magic is more powerful. and she mentions the dragons.

when tyrion as The King's Hand consults with the pyromancer about why he has a fuckload of extra wildifre for him. he says that making wildfire is hella easy now, and jokingly asks tyrion if there are dragons in the world again.

its also probably why the Others are back again all of a sudden.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Astrocreep spitting mad knowledge in this piece.

Yes, he is correct, he used to use wildfire but doesn;t anymore. It is kind of the same as Melisandre, it still fucks up the sword but swords are replaceable and a flaming sword scares the shit out of everyone.

Ebris_sl

shitlord
Its been several years (fuck like 7 years now...) since I read the first three books so I didn't remember him having a flaming sword when he was with Dondarrion, only that he used them in melees and the fire was actually Wildfire.

Time to reread the books.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they'll ever give a true explanation on why magic is returning or if it's going to be simply tied to one of the more powerful 'symptoms' of magic, ex: Daenarys being alive.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
Its been several years (fuck like 7 years now...) since I read the first three books so I didn't remember him having a flaming sword when he was with Dondarrion, only that he used them in melees and the fire was actually Wildfire.

Time to reread the books.
Thoros doesn't have a flaming sword in ASOS when he's with Beric.

Thoros, red priest, previously used wildfire in Robert's days during tourneys to create fake flaming swords.

Beric (undead) during ASOS, creates flaming sword to fight the Hound by running his own blood down the blade.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
I wonder if they'll ever give a true explanation on why magic is returning or if it's going to be simply tied to one of the more powerful 'symptoms' of magic, ex: Daenarys being alive.
I'm almost positive the explanation will come with the exposition of the following 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 books GRRM plans on writing.

At this point though, GRRM has overtly stated that dragons are the harbinger of magic in his world. The nuances of actually HOW the dragons do this though remain to be seen.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's just an odd reasoning given that the dragons come in after magic starts magiking.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It still hasnt been explained how the fuck Magister Illyrio came to possess 3 genuine dragon eggs and why he would give them over to daenerys as a wedding gift. It suggests that he knew she was a true dragon and would know how to release them. Just one of those eggs are priceless. Why get 3 and just hand them off? Especially when he is also working with varys to set aegon up for the iron throne all those years. Does he have more eggs for aegon?

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Yeah that's just an odd reasoning given that the dragons come in after magic starts magiking.
Prior to Daenerys hatching her three, there weren't any overt displays of magic. Only after do we see magic "waking" up in all forms around the world.

I'm sure everything ties into Valyria, and the Doom thereof.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Magic began to dwindle when the last dragons were killed. The maesters had a hand in that. Now that there are dragons in the world again magic has a new battery to draw from. The alchemist who made the wildfire asks Tyrion specifically if there were dragons again because the mystical rituals used in its creation were suddenly producing much better than they had.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thats very true.book one begins with the return of the Others. But perhaps they were always around and Mance Rayder woke up up some crazy shit in his search for the Horn Of Jarumen? Or maybe daenerys just boosted an event with the birth of the dragons. Heh maybe its the comet that caused it.or Euron finding the Dragon horn.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Think you and the other poster are confused about the flaming swords, the flaming sword in ASOS is Beric's and it is magic. I don't see why they'd change anything material to the story like his resurrections or setting his sword alight with his blood.
Uhhh, Baerick never had a magic sword man.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I forgot about that!

My main hope for season 3 is that we get to see Margaery Tyrell naked,AGAIN.
- fixed

I am pretty sure I would be ok with murdering another human being to be able to bed her down. Knowing my luck with women it would most likely have to be her that I murdered before I would have a chance of actually bedding her down.
tongue.png