GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Children of the Forest helped the First Men defeat the Long Night and gave the Nights Watch 100 obsidian daggers every year after until they were gone, so there's no more of those than what the Watch already has.
There are large deposits of dragonglass on Dragonstone and Asshai exports the stuff as well. To say there are no more blades is incorrect.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I wonder if Dawn, the weapon of House Dane that was said to have been forged from the heart of a fallen star, would have the same effect on the walkers as a Valyrian steel weapon. Dragon glass itself isn't magically forged, it's just results from exposure to extremely intense heat (in the books anyway).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure Stannis was tearing down Dragonstone for the Obsidian that the entire fucking place is made of. Why all the warg stuff too? The show really hasn't expanded on anyone being a warg in the Stark family other than Bran. Seems to me that they probably won't make too big a deal of it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Both Jon and Arya had dreams from their wolves' perspectives in the books. Not so in the show.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if Dawn, the weapon of House Dane that was said to have been forged from the heart of a fallen star, would have the same effect on the walkers as a Valyrian steel weapon. Dragon glass itself isn't magically forged, it's just results from exposure to extremely intense heat (in the books anyway).
Dawn is imo very clearly Excalibur.

Martin has teased a lot about it over the years, I suspect it will play a major role in the final book.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So where is this hidden cache of Valyrian weapons? The Targs just had 2 and they were from Valyria themselves with the heads of the great Houses just getting one. They're described in the books to have a much greater difference in appearance than what the show gives us between normal weapons. Dayne family sword for instance, Dawn, being a milky white look while Ice was supposed to be a mixture of blue and smoke. Kind of then hard to believe they're just laying around and nobody knows about it.

It would make sense for even lower houses to have one to help defeat the White Walkers but the wiki references most houses getting them shortly before the Doom which means the Long Night was thousands of years ago and probably considered a fairy tale then just like it is now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So where is this hidden cache of Valyrian weapons? The Targs just had 2 and they were from Valyria themselves with the heads of the great Houses just getting one. They're described in the books to have a much greater difference in appearance than what the show gives us between normal weapons. Dayne family sword for instance, Dawn, being a milky white look while Ice was supposed to be a mixture of blue and smoke. Kind of then hard to believe they're just laying around and nobody knows about it.

It would make sense for even lower houses to have one to help defeat the White Walkers but the wiki references most houses getting them shortly before the Doom which means the Long Night was thousands of years ago and probably considered a fairy tale then just like it is now.
Because they're just a macguffin that is thrown around when needed rather than being a coherent and predictable element of the universe. If the maesters just had a book with a catalog of 300 of them in Westeros it'd make them lose their mystery.

LF just happening to have some valyrian dagger lends itself to them being more common than the few we know about.

Plus there could be a large variation in quality of them. Ice being a huge two handed fucking monster might make it unique, where as there could be dozens of shoddily made Valyrian steel where the process to make them is so difficult even a master-smith ends up creating 3 pieces of shit only useful for popping whitewalkers like balloons for every decent sword.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't LF's dagger end up coming from Robert's stache of weapons which makes a little more sense given the rarity (I don't care how many there actually are they are still valuable and rare) or am I remembering that wrong?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there had to be more than just a handful made because there were valyrian weaponsmiths as a trade. even if all those known swords/knives/axes were forged by one man in his lifetime, it hardly seems worth it learning the skill. there had to be hundreds made, most likely they were buried with their respective owners all across westeros.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They're described in the books to have a much greater difference in appearance than what the show gives us between normal weapons.
They're described as having the same appearance as Damascus steel. If you've never seen Damascus steel, it's easily distinguishable from regular steel. It has a rippled appearance from all of the layers of metal that were folded over on top of one another. It's expensive to make, so I doubt they were willing to drop the money on show props made from Damascus.

1.jpg