GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Didn't D and D say the Shireen thing was straight from Gurrm? Nerds got mad because "that didn't happen in the books" and then got mad again afterwards because they spoiled the books when "Gurrm told us it happens in the next book."

Cybsled

Actually I'd say it makes more sense for Shireen to be burned behind his back rather than for him to stand there watching, if she does get burned in the books.
He doesn't have to physically be there in order to give the command to do it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah D&D said Shireen was straight from GRRM. It sounded like GRRM is making her death have more weight and consequences in the books tho. Shireen's death and the setup for it over a few episodes definitely hit pretty hard--but that was because of Davos being there, which he isn't in the books. Maybe Selyse takes his place in the books?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Show has made a few mistakes but it's pretty much on point. Yeah the whole dorne shit was terrible but look at the source and the tv constraints. Dorne characters in the book are also shit filler, they were brought in only as a segue to fake Aegon's conquest (which is itself more shit filler), it exists only as a method to achieve the demise of the rest of cersei's children before her own death per the prophecy. Just shit that happens that makes westeros utter shit so the white walker invasion can happen unopposed until dany the messiah arrives.

They opted to parse down the shit filler to things the audience is already familiar with, so no fake aegon story. but Cersei's fall, her children's deaths etc all still need to happen, it still needs to involve dorne, and they also are just coming off a season with a well received dornish character in Oberon so, it made sense to bring dorne in now and use it to setup cersei's fall.

Selmy, shireen, etc is just the show spoiling the book, not sure why the fuck people are butthurt, "omg hasn't happened in the books" YET. Show has been spoiling the book since season 4. get over it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My only worry with the show is they get bogged down for 3 more seasons with "filler" shit like Dorne and then people get tired of the show and they rush the end.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
How do you get 3 seasons of shit filler? There is only 3 seasons left (was supposed to be only 2 seasons left but hbo got dan and dave to cave). Parsing out most of the shit filler from the books is why the show is already halfway through winds at the end of season 5 and has spoiled half a dozen deaths/events that haven't even happened yet.

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider
If they want more of that delicious GoT money, they should just make a Dunk and Egg mini series. I'd watch the shit out of that.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They are probably doing a lot of flash backs this season. I'm betting they were never going to do them until they realized HBO was going to dump money for the 8th season. So now they have 10 more hours they didn't expect. Hopefully that is the "filler", all the anecdotes and back story they aggressively skipped from the books, told through Bran's tree visions or shit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I could see them doing a season of Dunk+Egg as a break to let GRRM catch up tho. But it would futile since he can't catch up.

But yeah HBO optioned Dunk+Egg a few years ago.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Wish HBO would do malazan... but I'm pretty sure that's not even possible.

Maybe just a couple of the chars story - Karsa or something.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Wish HBO would do malazan... but I'm pretty sure that's not even possible.

Maybe just a couple of the chars story - Karsa or something.
Make a miniseries just about the Chain of Dogs. Win Emmy for best series and best actor for the guy cast as Coltaine. Then pitch the rest of it. Rake in the money.

Cybsled

Dunk and Egg as a companion series maybe. But putting the entire cast on paid hiatus for an entire season? Lol, what world do you live in? Even shows like Spartacus created the prequel show just to keep the cast and crew employed while they waited for Andy.

Dunk and Egg you can't do that unless you are doing some "flash forward" bits where the current characters do a token cameo, but even then it would be stretching shit to have EVERYONE make a cameo ;p

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Even of they do a filler season, you're just delaying long enough to get Winds out. You'd need anothee 3 to 4 years of shit for him to get Dream out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Even of they do a filler season, you're just delaying long enough to get Winds out. You'd need anothee 3 to 4 years of shit for him to get Dream out.
3-4 years? dude, we will be lucky to get winds before season 7. the book isnt even close to being done. we wont see dreams til maybe 2023 or most likely never..

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I think they legitimately have enough material they need to cover that they were looking at 7.5 seasons all along, like a split 7th season with 7 episodes per, and hbo threw enough money at them to make it 8 officially. that leaves season 6 with a handful of additional filler needed to fill so they are going back and plotting in a few throwaway scenes and side stories that they skipped.

It's mostly just gonna be moving pieces into place, like jaime back to the riverlands, getting the boltons to where they need to be regarding the other northern houses, etc, with the back half of season 6 finishing up winds of winter content, the fall of house lannister and country in chaos concluding with the wall coming down/others invasion.

Season 7 will be dany's invasion/conquest and season 8 will be the stories conclusion.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm re-watching Season 5 and goddamn the whole Sons of the Harpy thing pisses me off. Bunch of rich fucks making the Unsullied look like clowns.