GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have never read any of the books and was disappointed with Selmy's death.

He was hyped as the greatest swordsman that ever was in the TV series not just the books.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
He was, but he was also getting old and his circumstances were less than ideal. Narrow corridor with attackers from multiple directions without heavy armor. He fought valiantly atleast, unlike Areo who got spine stabbed and cashed out for the series.

iannis

Musty Nester
In a book you can just say this guy is the best ever and roll with it. In a visual medium though you have to show it. It's not some arbitrary rule, it really is how it works. The two best fighters in show got are probably The Hound and Jon Snow. We've actually seen them buckle swash and NOT die.

For all they talked up selmy it was a giant who gives a fuck. Same thing with that ranger that Jon shanked. You really have to show it.

Sterling

El Presidente
It feels like people deciding to bash on book readers for the sake of doing it. Does anyone really feel like the Dorne stuff is the pinnacle of television or something? Regardless of whether it's anything like the books or not, the Dorne stuff is pretty terrible.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My theory is the TV series is taking a no hero's stance, anytime someone gets close to being anything close to heroic they quickly end up dead.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
My theory is the TV series is taking a no hero's stance, anytime someone gets close to being anything close to heroic they quickly end up dead.
Hotah never got close to being anything. show watchers probably dont even know his name. they just see him as that big black guy who hangs with doran. its really a shame that he got done in by one of those lame larper girls.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
For Melisandre, I always thought it was more than just a mere glamour. There's a section in the book when she's talking to Jon I think, when she mentions the Lord of Light sustains her. (When he asks if she's cold on top of the wall I believe.) She also muses on it herself after she asks someone for breakfast, mentioning that she doesn't need to eat, but it's better for others not to know the extent of her powers.

I think the part on the wall she touches her gem on her necklace, and I think when she is glamouring the dude burning she acts as if the gem was burning her.

I originally thought the gem was a focus point, and that her gifts give her vitality in general, requiring her to not have to sleep or eat. It seemed important to me that she relinquished the spell and then climbed into bed, as if to emphasize her doing something that is considered mundane, and unnecessary. She hadn't needed to eat or sleep prior, and now at least, we see her sleeping, and she looks old as fuck.

Thoros I think mentions something that sounds like life essence just being passed; she may just be "saving" her power. Anyways, main point is that I think it is far beyond a glamour.

And I did super hate that attempts at humor in this episode, especially between the Khal and his khalasar. Just seemed too irreverent and familiar; I didn't laugh, I rolled my eyes.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've gave up on defending the book adaptation because the show has clearly departed them. The Dorne storyline is dumb writing, that has nothing to do with the books it's bad TV. We are at a point now where we are criticizing the show because the some of the writing is garbage, for a TV show.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I admit, I was sorta hoping it would turn out that Trystane was actually secretly a badass. That hope didn't last long.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah everyone is going to have to get used to that bad TV show writing, because there is no book for them to fall back on to draw some of Martin's better written plot points and lines into the show to improve it.

I'm not treating anything from this season onwards on the show as canon until it is verified in the books as a result. At this point, I'm not dissatisfied with the show and will continue watching it, but I'm already in full acceptance mode that we are in fan fiction Westeros now.

Siliconemelons

Yeah everyone is going to have to get used to that bad TV show writing, because there is no book for them to fall back on to draw some of Martin's better written plot points and lines into the show to improve it.

I'm not treating anything from this season onwards on the show as canon until it is verified in the books as a result. At this point, I'm not dissatisfied with the show and will continue watching it, but I'm already in full acceptance mode that we are in fan fiction Westeros now.
HBO was given by GRRM all the "plot points and lines" to finish everything up...so really whatever "happens" is "cannon" .. hence why any "Dorn" stuff is literally all just fluff etc. etc.

...and yeah, if we ever do get another book.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Why's is so hard to accept that the book and the shows are different?

I also never understood people that wanted books to be EXACTLY like a tv show or movie. Shouldn't you want something a little different than the exact same story you've already read?
No question, if it's better. If it's worse, then obviously no.

Also, lol at this "book nerds" gibberish - you faggots realize you're posting in a thread for a show about dragons and dwarfs on an Everquest message board, right?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
6 seasons in and folks are still shocked that a character they like is killed early in a less than fullfilling way?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its stupid to us, but probably not stupid for ratings reasons...they are going to milk that shit another 2 episodes I bet to try to keep viewership as high as it was last night.
What I found most interesting is that the weekend of the GOT season premiere was also the free HBO weekend (for comcast, at least).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HBO told the writers they wanted an episode to hook people in to subscribe.

Not sure if this was brought up.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
What I found most interesting is that the weekend of the GOT season premiere was also the free HBO weekend (for comcast, at least).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if HBO told the writers they wanted an episode to hook people in to subscribe.

C'mon.....

They went and told their best show ever to make a good episode? Really? I won't even entertain the thought they went to their editing department and changed the entire format of the season so it was more cliffhangery.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I really doubt GOT would redo all their plans based on a promo weekend

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
More likely that when they knew Jon Snow wasn't resurrected in the first episode, they decided to hook people in with free Hbo for that week to boost their online service for the following weeks. Also makes the ratings look fantastic.

Edit: Apparently Nielsen doesn't include the non paying HBO peeps in it's ratings. Internally HBO will know and see how much of a bump they get.