GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
True but that varies in movies. The question was could dragons have existed not could Drogon exist in Game of Thrones. Shades coming out of mirrors don't exist either.
Do you know how the legends of dragons came about?
Back before people understood carbon dating and the planets long long past people were finding these massive fossil bones which had qualities of birds but much much larger. They couldn't explain it and without meat and bones assumed these things were not only massive but also full of muscle and fat. The bones were stone due to the aging and fossil process so it was assumed they had qualities of fire because how else would the bones be stone. All wrong mostly but it didn't stop the imagination and mind.

As for the weight part, yes we know physics now, but even 40 years ago we assumed these creatures I said above to be light, then they doubled the weight estimate, and again in the past 15 years from 200-300 to 400-550 lbs. What if we find another fossil of those types or a new one that in 10 years says 500-1000 lbs doubling again? How much would you say Drogon weighs? I'm not saying something as massive as he is now exists. I am saying it is possible something larger than we knew existed and what we know existed is already fucking terrifying when you think of it. My house is 26 feet front to back. Already something longer( wider in wing span ) than that lived and flew and they suggest it could fly 80mph for 10 days straight meaning it could travel 12000 miles in just over a week without rest. That is pretty nuts.

Drogon is bigger than any land animal that has ever walked the earth, never mind any hovering animal. Come on man.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sorta. I had to look up the name because all I remembered is it started with Quez or whatever.

Quetzalcoatlus is it. Had a wing spawn of over 32 feet. Although there is still debate if they could actually fly in the normal sense vs. just glide/ride air currents or thermals.

Also, re: the other conversation people had going on, Drogon's fire didn't just insta-ash those soldiers. It insta-ashed their weapons, shields, and armor as well. Even with the Tarleys, there was literally just a flaming crater where they stood and dude was in full plate. Like people had said, you are getting into thermonuclear detonation temps.
How is it possible the Dragon can output those temperatures without immolating itself in the process? What the hell could be lining the dragons body which allows it to withstand those temperatures?

Siliconemelons

How is it possible the Dragon can output those temperatures without immolating itself in the process? What the hell could be lining the dragons body which allows it to withstand those temperatures?

Drogon does not produce his fire internally like Smaug - duh, get yo real dragon anatomy correct sheesh, what are we talking about fantasy?!

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Drogon is bigger than any land animal that has ever walked the earth, never mind any hovering animal. Come on man.

Almost could be explainable if the world was smaller than Earth, but according to Wikipedia, the "Known World" might be larger than Earth...

Known world
The known world is part of a round planet, which might be a little larger than Earth.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
kegkilla kegkilla

It's fantasy brolo..

Edit: clear troll
Point is, I could buy a Dragon breathing fire at 500 degrees F or so, still ridiculous but I could headcannon to believe there's some organic creatures that could withstand those temps. However when we start talking temps that are close to the surface of the sun, that gets a bit silly.

Siliconemelons

Sheesh, go watch the historical narrative of dragons that is The Hobbit trilogy, see how Smaug makes his fire internally and then spits it out- while drogon is a traditional type of fire breath that its a form of chemical reaction that is produced out of his mouth. when it breaths out- so the inside of the dragon does not have to be able to withstand the heat - unlike the inner workings of Smaug that obviously belly/hold the fire until its spewed out- but Smaug fire seems more napalm like, vs drogons lighter flame + hairspray type.

We all really need to watch or read "How to Train Your Dragon" this (also historically) accurate book can teach us all the things we need to start fully debating

FAKE FUCKING CREATURES lol

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Point is, I could buy a Dragon breathing fire at 500 degrees F or so, still ridiculous but I could headcannon to believe there's some organic creatures that could withstand those temps. However when we start talking temps that are close to the surface of the sun, that gets a bit silly.

According to Google, Iron vaporizes at 2862 °C, the surface of the sun is 5700 °C
So Drogon's fire is 1/2 the temperature of the sun's surface, but like Xadion mentions, it can be ignited as it exits the mouth, and also he's spitting it out at a huge velocity, pressure+heat can do amazing things.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
WHen its all said and done, I think the lords of the 7 Kingdoms and Riverlands will be:

Iron Islands - Asha - Theon will finally save the day and die saving his sister and killing Euron.
Stormlands - a Legitimized Gendry Baratheon
Dorne - Falls into t he ocean, in the books will be the martell Prince.
Reach - With his family dead, Sam will be relieved from the Nights Watch but Dany/Jon as they make a new Wilding and Westerosi joint Wall guard (Without all the annoying crow shit. The now more confident Sam will claim his title as Lord of Hornhill and be named Warden of the south.
Westerlands - Never to be seen again.
North - Sansa will be Lady of WInterfel while Bran and Arya travel as weirdos.
Vale - Robyn Arryn, never to be seen again. Books they will instill the Swyft (edit: I meant Hardyng) kid or something.
Riverlands - Edmure will be freed and take back his home.
Crownlands - Dany and Jon will reign over the 7 Kingdoms and the Free Cities of Essos.
Doubtful. At least half of those will die before the show's end.

Until Sam's departure, I was an adherent to the "writer's theory" that has the entire Song of Ice and Fire being written by Grand Maester Tarly using his own experiences and all the stuff he got by raven at the Citadel after everyone except Tyrion died... but looks like a nope. Sam dies then. Heroically at last.

Oldbased

> Than U
Hardly. Still it is obvious you never read what I wrote in the previous replies. You keep arguing a point I have clearly said ( twice now ) I am not contesting. Which leads me to question, what is your argument to begin with? I am questioning what temperature of fire can ash people but not burn horses minutes later. I am not talking about a magical beast in game of thrones but a quality of fire which led to why the legends of dragons came about, something you clearly didn't take to read before you started fat slobbing, Drogon isn't real!111. No shit dude but when it comes to our actual history and past, the creatures in GoT are hardly bigger than anything to ever walk this planet.
Argentinosaurus - Wikipedia is much bigger.
Drogon is about as large as the smallest on here. So far.

gaa.png

here.png

Oldbased

> Than U
More confusing is it would appear Dany doesn't need air either. She sat in that funeral pyre all night in intense burning. I can't help but think that was probably a low oxygen environment. So you can't burn her, you can't smother her. The question is, does she bleed?

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The capabilities of Dragons are impossible without magic in every medium they are featured in.

You guys have cross over the threshold of autism into whatever unknown terrors lay beyond.

• 2Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
On a more grounded thought. Was that the first time EastWatch was in the intro and did it have a gate like Castle Black or did they travel along the wall to Castle Black and go out the gate?

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
thought drogon would be bigger... the skulls under the red keep are all almost bigger than he is.

He's still kinda young by dragon standards. The mooks in the show keep saying "3 full-grown dragons" but no one alive was around when really "full-grown" were still alive. All records of Belerion record him as fucking ridiculously huge. So huge they probably balked at the idea of trying to get anything near that size in to the show so they just scaled it all down some:

balerion_the_black_dread_by_lindseyburcar-d7kacvo.png

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Unless some antigravity-tech animal is going to be discovered if they want to fly they have to be light, much less hover the way Drogon does. I mean, this is some autistic bullshit but Drogon is built like a humpback whale and looks longer/taller than one. He's not built like a bird at all. 30ft wingspan sure, Drogon probably has a 100+ft wingspan and is built like a wooly mammoth. He would weigh 50k+ lbs. I'm sure some nerd in here could calculate the required power output for an animal that size to hover.

You can't calculate how much magical lift dragons output. It should be obvious that GoT dragons can control the level of destruction their "dragon fire" causes.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I have no doubt that if you put a dragon on a treadmill, it will take off.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
More confusing is it would appear Dany doesn't need air either. She sat in that funeral pyre all night in intense burning. I can't help but think that was probably a low oxygen environment. So you can't burn her, you can't smother her. The question is, does she bleed?
If you'd read the books, you'd know the answer to that question is yes. Right about the time she got captured by the Dothraki (where she threw her shit in the field for Friendzone to find it).

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>

Steel beams.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user